Robert
United States
Boca Raton
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IMHO this game has so much potential. A few tweaks here or there and it could be great (like its predecessor). Aside from some variants that I am trying out, one of the bigger problems that I see is the way warfare and the final Galactic War are carried out.

Now don't get me wrong, I like the idea of each faction, as well as the Galactic Empire, having their own Military Science level that directly affects their probability of victory in every battle. I even like the idea of putting the two sides' Military Science cubes into a bag and randomly drawing them out to determine the winner. However, in practice, it just isn't as much fun as I had hoped it would be. It also takes longer and is a bit more fiddly than I would like, especially during the Galactic War.

As you have probably guessed from the subject of this post, I believe that the solution is to have an app that simulates this aspect of the game. Unfortunately, I’m not even close to being tech savvy enough to do this myself. However, I can't imagine that it would be too difficult for someone with some decent programming skills.

*EDIT*: BGG user Autoduelist was kind enough to invest a huge amount of time to both design and implement a locally hosted JavaScript web page that implements exactly what I was looking for in an app (as well as some features that I hadn't even thought of). His Galactic Rebellion Warfare App is posted in the files section. It greatly enhances the game by allowing the players to resolve all warfare actions, as well as the entire final Galactic War (per standard rules), extremely quickly and easily. If you are interested in playing this game, then you should definitely check it out.

Sadly, the game doesn’t appear to be that well supported here on the ‘Geek, so I’m not expecting to see an app like this any time soon. In lieu of this, I started looking for an existing app that could act as a reasonable substitute. The way I see it, the probability of pulling a particular cube out of the bag is equivalent to flipping a weighted virtual coin. If red has 7 cubes and blue has 4, then this is the same as flipping a coin where heads (which, in this case, represents red) has a 64% chance of coming up.

I’m happy to report that I found a free iPhone app that does just what I was looking for. It is called “Randomizer App” and was created by Wisse Keizer. Among other things, it allows you to set the likelihood of a coin flip to come up heads anywhere from 0% to 100% of the time. Better yet, it allows you to quickly perform up to 99 consecutive coin flips in one go and tallies the results for you. As such, you can have a best of 3 (as per the normal Galactic Rebellion rules) or, if you want to have more predictability in your results (and avoid most of those phalanx-destroying-battleship situations a la Sid Meier’s original Civilization PC game), a best of 5, 7, 9, or even 99.

The only thing that this app doesn’t automatically do (aside from calculating the initial probability percentage for you) is simulate the slight dynamic changes in probability that occur after the first and second cubes are drawn from the bag. However, the results are certainly good enough for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Do you need more card ideas for the D&D Adventure System games?
mbmbmbmbmb
I've created a locally hosted javascript web page to take the drudgery out of the warfare phase and Galactic Warfare steps. I've secured the necessary permissions from Eagle Gryphon Games to release my web page. I tested the application on Windows and Ubuntu Linux desktops (IE 11, Chrome, Firefox, Opera). I just need to get permission for my wormhole animation squared away, and I'm good to go for a version 1.0 launch. This might entail a visit to BGG's artists and illustrators forum.

I'll work on a more mobile friendly web page version if the reaction to version 1.0 is favorable.

I'm not an artist so I tried to keep the graphic design clean and simple. I didn't embed any extra javascript frameworks either. The bulk of the file size comes from the .png illustrations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I submitted the web page for BGG admin approval. Hopefully it will be up soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Version 1.0 is now live in the Files section. It shouldn't be too hard to find since there aren't a lot of files for this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
United States
Boca Raton
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Autoduelist wrote:
Version 1.0 is now live in the Files section. It shouldn't be too hard to find since there aren't a lot of files for this game.

Thanks very much for your efforts. I can't wait to check it out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The responsive web page version 1.20 - which supports mobile, tablet, and desktop users with the same code base - was submitted for BGG admin approval. I cropped the starfield image to come in under the size limits.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rob taylor
England
bingley
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Please please would you help me with this.
I’ve clicked download onto my phone but can’t get to see it
It says open file with, then lists
Cloud
Dropbox
Keynote
Numbers

I’m desperate to read this.
Please help
I’ve posted this request on several posts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Working with Rob via Geekmail, although this will be challenging since I don't own an iPhone and have never used one, so if other users would like to chime in, feel free.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rob taylor
England
bingley
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
up and running thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.