Popular Tags: [View All]
Niclas Matikainen
Sweden
Gävle
Sverige
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I’ve held off on buying Prosperity for the longest time. Not because I didn’t like the expansion, but because a friend of mine already owned it. In other words, I got my fix at his place.
There was however a downside to this sollution. Since I had my copy of Seaside at my place, we never got the chance to mix those two sets up. Now I have my own copy of Prosperity, and yesterday saw the first clash of yellow and orange cards.

To be specific, we drew five cards from each set:
Bank, Goons, Loan, Rabble, and Venture.
Fishing Village, Navigator, Smugglers, Tactician, and Wharf.

With my 4/3 start I went for Smuggler and Navigator. The plan was to then go for multiple treasures before eventually moving on to building an engine with Fishing Village and Wharf.
The other two players surprised me by both going for Fishing Village from the start, so I had to get in on that faster than I would’ve liked. Thankfully, I was helped by my Smugglers.

In fact, I was helped by my Smugglers and the Tactician throughout the game. I only got one copy of each, but they sure paid off. Smugglers got me a pile of useful cards, while Tactician saw me avoiding a few dead hands.

Anyway, just as my Fishing Village/Wharf combination started to come into play, another player got his hands on some Goons. I didn’t have any plans to use those myself, but once the second player hopped on that train I felt I needed to retaliate. Luckily, my Smugglers was there to help me again. I never bought any Goons, but I still had two in my deck when the game was over.

We had an entire round where each player smuggled the Goons of the previous player, so while only one set of Goons had actually been bought, a total of four had been gained.

Combating the Goons was an interesting challenge. For me, it turned out I already had a fairly good defense in the shape of my Fishing Villages and Wharfs. Discarding two cards wasn’t that bad if you knew you’d draw four more at the start of the next turn.
I eventually got some Rabble, and those extra +3 cards helped as well.

The players who started the goon plague used Tactician to get around the same problem. In fact, he also used the Tactician to get back in the game, as some early unlucky draws had left him rather far behind.

Speaking of luck of the draw, I guess it’s time to be honest and mention that I had luck on my side throughout the game, and not only from my Smugglers. While Venture was slow at first, it eventually pulled some really great treasures for me. For instance, I got my Bank into play twice that way.

That combination allowed me to buy Platinum long before the other players. Towards the end, I had some really nice turns where i managed to buy a Colony and a Province at the same time, before drawing all three of my Platinum, thus reaching 23 coins to get a double Colony.

In the end, the Goon player reached 57 points, just three behind the player in second place. I had 50 points just from Colonies, and then another 28 points from various cards and Victory Point tokens.

So, wow! That was one heck of a kingdome! Seaside and Prosperity sure ramps everything up to 11.
I managed to pull of some ridiculous turns even after Goons came into play, yet I wonder how things would’ve turned out without Goons?

Looking back, my only regret is not getting an early Loan. Trashing a Copper or two wouldn’t have been bad, though I guess they did help my Bank, so they weren’t exactly useless either...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Goldfarb
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think on this board I would have been going for a double-Tactician engine, where I play a Tactician every turn, and get money from Fishing Villages and Goons. (With maybe a Navigator or two.)

If you're not going for the Tactician every turn, you should remember that Tactician plus a couple of Banks makes for awesomeness.

I definitely would have started a 4-3 split with Navigator-Loan. The double-Tactician engine doesn't need or want any Treasure. The Navigator helps get my new cards into my deck quicker: I'm effectively using it as a mini-Chancellor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt E
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
David Goldfarb wrote:
I definitely would have started a 4-3 split with Navigator-Loan. The double-Tactician engine doesn't need or want any Treasure. The Navigator helps get my new cards into my deck quicker: I'm effectively using it as a mini-Chancellor.

My favorite thing about opening with Navigator and Loan is that, if they collide, Navigator can set up Loan really well. Put all your revealed Victory cards back on top, then a Copper under them, then the rest of your good stuff. The Loan skips past the Victory cards and trashes the Copper, leaving the rest to seed your next hand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.