Subject: Over Building another's factory rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ken
United States
West Palm Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
'When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning' - Dr. Reiner Knizia
badge
The world is what we make of it. So why not make it a better place?
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry if this seems obvious. Can you over build another's cotton, port or shipyard? i.e. can you only only over build another's Iron or Coal?

Thank you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[maˈtiːas]
Germany
Elzach
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No. Yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Gaudé
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, only Iron and Coal, and only if there is no more iron cubes on the board (demand track and iron works tiles).
Same for Coal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
West Palm Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
'When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning' - Dr. Reiner Knizia
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it normal for the demand track to empty and one to loose a factory? I know this can happen, I'm asking if this is a major part of the game?

Also, just double checking, are victory points ONLY awarded at the end of a phase. So if I build a coal mine or iron works is constantly upgrading a big part of the game.

Should I ask this in the strategy section?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[maˈtiːas]
Germany
Elzach
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Especially in a 4p game it’s rather common. Iron is usually more critical due to more VP gained/lost.

Yes, VPs only at the end of canal and rail-phase.

You might just want to search for answers to your questions. I’m positive those have been asked and answered many times before. (This game is nearly 10 years old which has its perks like FAQs, concise rules references and the like )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ken at Sunrise wrote:
Is it normal for the demand track to empty and one to loose a factory? I know this can happen, I'm asking if this is a major part of the game?

Also, just double checking, are victory points ONLY awarded at the end of a phase. So if I build a coal mine or iron works is constantly upgrading a big part of the game.

Allow for .75 - 1.5 overbuilds per player per game.

So in a 3 player game, you can expect 2 - 4 over builds over the course of the whole game

In a 4 player game, 3 - 6 over builds.

In 3 player, it will be even split between Iron and Coal, in a 4 player, most coal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
West Palm Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mabuchi wrote:
Ken at Sunrise wrote:

So in a 3 player game, you can expect 2 - 4 over builds over the course of the whole game

In 3 player, it will be even split between Iron and Coal, in a 4 player, most coal.

Those are hard numbers? Is that real data from the on-line game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ken at Sunrise wrote:
Mabuchi wrote:
Ken at Sunrise wrote:

Those are hard numbers? Is that real data from the on-line game?

It is my experience over 50 or so in person plays.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[maˈtiːas]
Germany
Elzach
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You want hard data? In my last 100 games [1] on ooth there were 409 overbuilds of foreign (!) buildings in total: 202 iron works, 207 coal mines.
This surprises me quite a bit as I would’ve thought it would be rather a 2:3 or 1:2 split (iron:coal).

[1] 4p only! 6 of them aborted in different stages of the game. All games were played with more or less experienced players (4000+/4500+ rated).

PS: Just downloaded logs from all my 4p games on ooth (260 total): 603 coal, 632 iron.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
West Palm Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yzemaze wrote:
You want hard data? In my last 100 games [1] on ooth there were 409 overbuilds of foreign (!) buildings in total: 202 iron works, 207 coal mines.
This surprises me quite a bit as I would’ve thought it would be rather a 2:3 or 1:2 split (iron:coal).

[1] 4p only! 6 of them aborted in different stages of the game. All games were played with more or less experienced players (4000+/4500+ rated).

PS: Just downloaded logs from all my 4p games on ooth (260 total): 603 coal, 632 iron.

Which, oddly enough, is between 1.36 overbuilds pp in a 3 person game and 1.54 overbuilds pp in a 4 person game. Roughly equal between coal and iron

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[maˈtiːas]
Germany
Elzach
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ken at Sunrise wrote:
Which, oddly enough, is between 1.36 overbuilds pp in a 3 person game and 1.54 overbuilds pp in a 4 person game. Roughly equal between coal and iron
Care to share your calculations? (I didn’t say any word about 3p, so I’m a bit puzzled.)

I’d just conclude 4 to 5 overbuilds in a 4p game are fairly usual:
4.09 or 4.75 from my data
4.41 from Dugy’s last 100 games (225 iron, 216 coal; just checked for reference.)

Frequency analysis (260 games):
overbuilds;games
0;0
1;6
2;16
3;41
4;58
5;51
6;49
7;30
8;7
9;2
10;1

(If you’re curious: 10 overbuilds happened in game 31308.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
West Palm Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yzemaze wrote:
Ken at Sunrise wrote:
Care to share your calculations? (I didn’t say any word about 3p, so I’m a bit puzzled.)

I’d just conclude 4 to 5 overbuilds in a 4p game are fairly usual:
4.09 or 4.75 from my data
4.41 from Dugy’s last 100 games (225 iron, 216 coal; just checked for reference.)

Frequency analysis (260 games):
overbuilds;games
0;0
1;6
2;16
3;41
4;58
5;51
6;49
7;30
8;7
9;2
10;1

(If you’re curious: 10 overbuilds happened in game 31308.)

Sorry my bad. I wrongly assumed your 100 games were 3 person. So 409 foreign
Overbuilds /100=4.09 and 4.09/3 players is 1.36. Again, my bad assuming they were 3 person.

And I simply miscalculated on the 4 person.

Oops

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.