James Boutilier
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do ANY expansions for RftG offer GOAL-Oriented WIN CONDITIONS?

I'd like to get this game to play SOLO only, but not a fan of reaching highest score with a bot. Everything else looks GREAT and very very unique.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the solo game you aren't trying to beat your previous high score, but trying to beat the robot. How you play effects how the robot scores, and each start world changes how the robot plays too. The solo game is really good, though I haven't played it much as my wife likes Race.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ahura Mazda
msg tools
jgb7 wrote:

I'd like to get this game to play SOLO only, but not a fan of reaching highest score with a bot. Everything else looks GREAT and very very unique.

Well I play mainly solo games, so I understand your need for a "scenario" style thing. But quite honestly, the solo rules from Gathering Storm, to me, feel like scenarios.
This happens because, the way the AI plays is different, depending on their homeworld. Different homeworlds give the AI different bonuses and different "actions" within the same action (so a produce to a military AI could have different outcomes than it would for a merchant AI). Even though most things are automated through the "spreadhseet", each AI feels different (to me), so you don't get the feeling of trying to get a better score than before. It feels like you are competing against something that really wants to win. And the same AI will sometimes score 20 and others 35 points, for example. So, it is dynamic. You cannot always sit back and say "ok I got this, because this AI only does X VPs, and I am already getting ahead".
I really wish IOS version would implement it (even though the IOS AI is good, but it just does not feel the same thing).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zarathustra_pt wrote:
jgb7 wrote:

Well I play mainly solo games, so I understand your need for a "scenario" style thing. But quite honestly, the solo rules from Gathering Storm, to me, feel like scenarios.
This happens because, the way the AI plays is different, depending on their homeworld. Different homeworlds give the AI different bonuses and different "actions" within the same action (so a produce to a military AI could have different outcomes than it would for a merchant AI). Even though most things are automated through the "spreadhseet", each AI feels different (to me), so you don't get the feeling of trying to get a better score than before. It feels like you are competing against something that really wants to win. And the same AI will sometimes score 20 and others 35 points, for example. So, it is dynamic. You cannot always sit back and say "ok I got this, because this AI only does X VPs, and I am already getting ahead".
I really wish IOS version would implement it (even though the IOS AI is good, but it just does not feel the same thing).

As good as the robot player from Gathering Storm is, I doubt there are many people who would prefer the robot player on a digital implementation of the game over the excellent and extremely challenging AI.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.