Chris Ruf
United States
Acworth
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gulp

And I'm not one to care usually, but something about the color scheme, style, and stark graphic design DO NOT work for me. Especially that player board, it looks EXTREMELY dull to me. I find the TM boards quite pleasing to look at, but this looks like it was ripped from an 80's or 90's game to me.

But, hey, what do I know? I'm just one guy with an opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
pretty ugly.

but also I'm pretty sure it could have any art and it will sell
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
Manhattan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I've pretty much resigned to picking it up anyway and redesigning the boards myself. As long as the rest of the components/art looks decent...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is very much a pass for me due to the art style. At the beginning I was slightly interested, less now to add this my collection. A friend already owns Terra Mystica. That's probably enough for the play group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kissell
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I too was fairly interested in the game before, as I hoped it fixed some things I didn't love in Terra Mystica. It is moving quickly to a pass for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Green
United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gaia Project was looking like a 100%-sure-thing-acquisition for me.

...Until I saw the first pictures released of the player boards.

...Then the cover...

At least it's not as bland as the player boards, but I just don't care for the design.

I'm doubting I'll be picking this up now, unless it somehow looks much better in person than in digital form.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Northampton
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm just going off the images on BGG. I don't know if that's what other people are commenting on, but it's the only place I've seen the art.

I have no problem with the main board. It's more interesting to me than the TM board.

The player boards are functional but nothing special, but again that's not an issue for me. I wouldn't expect them to be works of art. If they were it would probably make them harder to use as it would distract from the important information on the player board.

The cover... yeah, that's really horrible. Whoever approved that cover should be ashamed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Super Turtle
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
My shell is bigger than your apartment
badge
Speed is overrated
mbmbmbmbmb
I was 110% sure I would buy the game. Now it has dropped to 95% due to the art.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Paul
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I liked​ to see something beautiful, then I would go to a gallery.

If the art is good for the comprehension and as a reminder - and it is - then it's fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
The art doesn't grab me, but I don't seem to mind it as much as others here. I'm still more interested in this game than I was in the original (because Space).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Flickner
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I too was tracking along the development of this game, hoping that it would fit my gaming group a little better than Terra Mystica. I've played TM and enjoyed it but it's too big of a game and too long for my gaming group. Having 7 colors of components makes it more expensive than it has to be in my opinion. So, I was definitely interested in what they will come up with for Gaia Project . . . until I came across Clans of Caledonia. I think Clans will scratch my TM itch while also being more appealing to the rest of my game group.
So, back on topic--I too am far less interested in Gaia Project based upon the art so far. Art is not my main consideration in a game--gameplay is. But when there are other similar games, I might take art into consideration.
Now, if the pieces and the board tiles look really nice, that might be another consideration.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ruf
United States
Acworth
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mistake89 wrote:
If I liked​ to see something beautiful, then I would go to a gallery.

If the art is good for the comprehension and as a reminder - and it is - then it's fine.

For you. But that's quite subjective now, isn't it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pup Selchen
Germany
Kassel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll always buy a game whose gameplay appeals to me, so that's that.
However, in a time where boardgames reached incredible levels of design, aesthetics and atmosphere, the cover art here is a riddle. It's atrociously off...a Eurogame style of art mixed with a sci-fi theme, it just doesn't click at all. It's like playing pool with a basketball or playing the drums with chopsticks - it doesn't work that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patar Absurdus the Shananigator
United States
Carrollton
TX
flag msg tools
"Gird Up Your Loins, Like a Man!" ~God to Job
badge
"We're put on this earth to do a job. And each of us gets the time we get to do it. And when this life is over and you stand in front of the Lord... Well, you try tellin' him it was all some Frenchman's joke." ~Betsy Solverson
mbmbmbmbmb
The top third of the box art is ugly but the concept is enjoyable and I kind of like the bottom two thirds.

The picture of the game boards that I saw was awful.

The planet system boards aren't great looking but I have never been impressed with a board covered in planets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Super Turtle
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
My shell is bigger than your apartment
badge
Speed is overrated
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that the concept is nice , but I dislike all of the 3 of the thirds of the box cover.
However, the big problem is with the player mats. I am sure there are print & plays that are better than these. I agree that the gameplay is the important thing, but still...

P.S. I can confirm that the gameplay is better than Terra Mystica, which is the only game I have rated with 10/10.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francois LC
Canada
St-Bruno-de-Montarville (Near Montreal)
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I too find the art pretty sub-par, at least for these days where most games are all really beautiful.

Moreover, I was looking a better 2-player experience (this one seem good so far), and a more streamlined and faster to play game than the original and this last part doesn't seem like it will be that from the comments I read in the other threads (from playtesters and such). So I was very enthusiast about this game at first (despite the space theme, although I know for others it's a plus) but the more I read/know about it, the more it seem to be a pass for me as well. Especially since there is another game alike Terra Mystica currently on KS that is more what I generally like and that seem to be exactly what I'm seeking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryle Cuff
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Terrible art. They pretty much copied super motherload at 40% the quality.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ruf
United States
Acworth
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bryle wrote:
Terrible art. They pretty much copied super motherload at 40% the quality.

Super Motherload's cover is similar and 1000% better than this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Didier Renard
France
Saint-Louis
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am not a fan of the artistic choices taken in this project either, but there is a good game behind it so it is a bit of a shame to reject it solely on this basis!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tahsin Shamma
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the major criticism of the game boards stems from the wide areas of flat color without texture. In addition, the icon and font choices are pretty standard, almost bland, board game sci-fi fonts without much imagination. This gives the overall impression of a "low resolution" player board. In addition, the "futuristic space" theme is somewhat lost with the player board shown in the images here on the geek because they chose to show the brown player, which is drab. The overall similarity to Terra Mystic is there, but without further refinement of the textures or overall futuristic flourishes, it feels like just another pasted on theme.

Contrast this with a player board like Eclipse (below)

or Hegemonic (below)

or Kepler-3042 (below)

Another artist has reimagined player boards for Eclipse and he takes the concept in another (awesome) direction.

https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/141102/eclipse-player-boa...

Terra Mystica Sample Player Board for comparison

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
Manhattan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
In space there are no textures!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Now I'm so happy Clans of Caledonia is on kickstarter..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Knopp
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Why would the art matter this much to people if the game is fun to play?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
Manhattan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Unclean009 wrote:

Because they are not mutually exclusive. You can have great art and the game can still be fun to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pup Selchen
Germany
Kassel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Unclean009 wrote:

What kind of question is that even?
Why does anything matter to anyone? Why do opinions differ? Or taste?
It does matter to some people. That's all there is to say really, no explanation or justification needed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [13] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.