Calvin Le Huray
Jersey
St. Johns
United Kingdom
msg tools
badge
I like unusual themes.
mbmbmbmbmb
Well your loss, the in game art looks excellent when you see it for yourself. I am loving the game and art work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-=::) Dante (::=-
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eatshootsandleafs wrote:
Well your loss, the in game art looks excellent when you see it for yourself.

I stood around with half a dozen people at Pax Unplugged all of whom were openly vocal about how much they disliked the art.

I still bought it because for me gameplay trumps all, but just because you happen to like the art doesn't mean that those who disagree are only doing so because they haven’t seen it in person yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calvin Le Huray
Jersey
St. Johns
United Kingdom
msg tools
badge
I like unusual themes.
mbmbmbmbmb
I am not sure I was responding to you. But quite clearly to someone who has not held the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Northampton
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NuMystic wrote:
eatshootsandleafs wrote:
Well your loss, the in game art looks excellent when you see it for yourself.

I stood around with half a dozen people at Pax Unplugged all of whom were openly vocal about how much they disliked the art.

I still bought it because for me gameplay trumps all, but just because you happen to like the art don’t confuse that with thinking that those who disagree are only doing so because they haven’t seen it in person.
It's hard to believe that the "in person" experience is going to change my opinion of the art very much. I mean... generally a photograph of something is pretty close to how it looks in person. Unless we're claiming that these boards just aren't very photogenic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eatshootsandleafs wrote:
I am not sure I was responding to you. But quite clearly to someone who has not held the game.

That was indeed quite clear, and as someone who didn't like the art both before and after seeing it in person I was adding a counterpoint based on personal experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Northampton
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eatshootsandleafs wrote:
When you weigh in on how the game looks in person, you've opened the door for a discussion about that topic.

It's fine and dandy for you to say "Put your fears to rest, the art looks great in person", but other people who think that the game looks just as horrible in person are allowed to disagree with your statement. If Dante censored himself because your comment was aimed at John (the person you appeared to be responding to) then John might take you at your word, buy the game and then find out that he also feels the art looks just as bad in person as it did online. Dante's comment informs John that it isn't as cut and dried as you make it out to be. There are actually people who don't feel the in person experience is particularly better than what they saw online. And that's valuable information... so thanks Dante!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fear The Clown
msg tools
mbmb
I've yet to have artwork make it break a game for me but that's just me and its fine to feel differently.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JA
Canada
Kamloops
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought the early photos of the game (perhaps they were of a prototype?) made the game look nasty. Having opened it up and played it five times now, I think the game actually looks fairly good on the table. The planetary systems and buildings look good; the tech tiles and knowledge board look good; even the characters on the faction boards look quite good to me. The lone visual failing, in my opinion, is the untextured (or barely textured) matte sections of black or colour.

If you like the look of Terra Mystica, and can envision it turned into a space/scifi game, you basically know exactly what you are getting. If the black on the player boards had stars on it, and maybe a bit of texture with the coloured sections, this game would be visually strong. Even still, it' just fine on the table, with the planets looking particularly pleasant.

TL;DR: I was prepared for the worst based on early photos; now that I own it, it looks quite good except slightly plain player boards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Kim
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I am a sucker for art in games. Some games i buy only for the art ( yamatai ) and sometimes they turn out mediocre. It's still a joy to play. I bought Gaia Project despite the outdated art style and don't regret it. Sometimes gameplay is just more imported and there is no other version available so we have to go with it.

Despite that I think the visual clarity is very good. Also all the "tech" related stuff really works and looks cohesive on the table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kain
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Been playing this game tons. I love it. Easily in my top ten of all time. Beat out Terra Mystica after one game.

I know many are quick to defend items they're big fans of, perhaps outright saying the game's art is garbage is far too aggressive I admit. After playing the game a lot, I appreciate the layout a lot more and the design behind the system, it's all very easy to grasp. So there's that.

The actual artwork, the colour schemes and artistic vision simply doesn't match with what the 21st century would refer to as Science Fiction. It matched Terra Mystical due to it's fantasy setting, but not here. That's why it's bothering people, there's simply nothing "fantastical" about it, it's entirely unremarkable in it's aesthetics.

I'm really happy with my purchase despite all this and I recommend people try it before they write it off for the art style.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Cotton
United States
Half Moon Bay
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Hello! I was considering a graphic overhaul of this game, doing some research and came across this thread. Since many of you think this is a great game with questionable art, then perhaps this might help.

I love the game Gaia Project but I think it deserves design as good as the gameplay. I decided to work on a graphic overhaul of the game for print & play. My design intentions are as follows:

1) Git rid of all the dated looking beveled edges and other areas of boring solid color.

2) Recreate the icon language of the game ( for clarity ) paying attention to familiarity of gamers to the Gaia Project and Terra Mystica "design language"

3) Give more room for the race and planet art in the game which is well done!

4) Move some information off the player board so that only the required information is there. (An overhaul of the player guide is coming)

5) The race ability and institute abilities are complicated enough as to not be properly represented by icons in the game. Switch to text for these two areas.

6) Show names for the buildings.

7) In general remove most superfluous design elements while maintaining a sci-fi style.

8) Clarify the "receive a research tile when you upgrade to a lab / academy"

9) Maintain compatibility with existing acrylic overlays.

These are the first two player boards I have applied these principles to. I'm asking for feedback on what I have done before proceeding with the other player boards, research board, and player aids. I don't think the map tiles need to be reimagined.

TERRANS https://drive.google.com/file/d/1WZ0z9sBzG72FOMSfhnpzk3_nPS_...

LANTIDS https://drive.google.com/file/d/1YuCnQuc3refA1yr8oNdRafu1Xmr...
  • [+] Dice rolls
Linda Chov
China
BEIJING
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Olagarro wrote:
Hello! I was considering a graphic overhaul of this game, doing some research and came across this thread. Since many of you think this is a great game with questionable art, then perhaps this might help.

I love the game Gaia Project but I think it deserves design as good as the gameplay. I decided to work on a graphic overhaul of the game for print & play. My design intentions are as follows:

1) Git rid of all the dated looking beveled edges and other areas of boring solid color.

2) Recreate the icon language of the game ( for clarity ) paying attention to familiarity of gamers to the Gaia Project and Terra Mystica "design language"

4) Move some information off the player board so that only the required information is there. (An overhaul of the player guide is coming)

5) The race ability and institute abilities are complicated enough as to not be properly represented by icons in the game. Switch to text for these two areas.

7) In general remove most superfluous design elements while maintaining a sci-fi style.

These are the first two player boards I have applied these principles to. I'm asking for feedback on what I have done before proceeding with the other player boards, research board, and player aids. I don't think the map tiles need to be reimagined.

"Here's another jerk who feels the need to change an amazing game because of perceieved artistic flaws," I said as I clicked on the links.

Wow! How wrong was I!?! (Tipped for apology and the effort).

These look fantastic! Really, really, REALLY good.

Questions:

1) As an abstract that is totally language independent, obviously it no longer is. That is obviously a little bit of a shame.

2) I don't know the answer to this: is it corret to say "research" as per the rules terminolgy? It might be, we just never say it. We call it an 'advance', or the act of 'advancing' on the tech track.

Great work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Linda Chov
China
BEIJING
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And

3) The Lantids ability is not listed. I think that would need to be. (The PI ability is there, but not the ongoing ability that would go in the top right corner)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CardBoard Bear

near Los Angeles
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Olagarro wrote:

I stopped reading there as I think the species (not really race) illustrations are amongst the most awful board game art in existence
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Cotton
United States
Half Moon Bay
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
trevorandlinda wrote:
Olagarro wrote:

"Here's another jerk who feels the need to change an amazing game because of perceieved artistic flaws," I said as I clicked on the links.

Questions:

1) As an abstract that is totally language independent, obviously it no longer is. That is obviously a little bit of a shame.

2) I don't know the answer to this: is it corret to say "research" as per the rules terminolgy? It might be, we just never say it. We call it an 'advance', or the act of 'advancing' on the tech track.

Great work.

Thanks for your input! (And the tip!) I'll make sure my wording is correct. Yes, I think making it not language independent has its upsides and downsides. Every game I have played of GP has resulted in players asking the names of buildings of getting them confused though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Cotton
United States
Half Moon Bay
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
CardBear wrote:
Olagarro wrote:

I stopped reading there as I think the species (not really race) illustrations are amongst the most awful board game art in existence

Just take a look at what I've done with the art that is there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Cotton
United States
Half Moon Bay
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
trevorandlinda wrote:
And

3) The Lantids ability is not listed. I think that would need to be. (The PI ability is there, but not the ongoing ability that would go in the top right corner)

Yes, a mistake I have corrected if you take a look at the file again, thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
CardBear wrote:
Olagarro wrote:

Take a look at Vanished Planet sometime...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Grace
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a version of Gaia project that I’d actually spend money on

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Cotton
United States
Half Moon Bay
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
sigmazero13 wrote:
CardBear wrote:
Olagarro wrote:

Wow that is horrific

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wilbert Kiemeneij
Netherlands
Eindhoven
flag msg tools
I know the rules, but how do you win this game?
badge
1, 2, 3, 4, 5
mbmbmbmbmb
I think there's a mistake on the terrain board. The gold token sits at the 13 spot, while the starting amount is listed as 15.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Olagarro wrote:
I love the game Gaia Project but I think it deserves design as good as the gameplay. I decided to work on a graphic overhaul of the game for print & play.

I will be printing these out the moment you complete the project!

THANK YOU!

You should absolutely start a new thread showcasing your outstanding work. It deserves to be seen by far more people than just those who are still subscribed to this thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander McKinney
Bahamas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Olagarro wrote:

These are excellent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CardBoard Bear

near Los Angeles
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sigmazero13 wrote:
CardBear wrote:
Olagarro wrote:

that's so bad it's actually funny. it kind of has an '80s vibe to it. I'd take that over the current Gaia Project species and box art. GP is a top 10 BGG game and has no business looking the way it does. they should have hired someone like Kwanchai.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
trevorandlinda wrote:

I went through this exact same series of reactions!

These look really good!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  9 , 10 , 11 , 12 , 13  Next »  [13] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.