Aaron Cotton
United States
Half Moon Bay
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
fistOfKross wrote:
Not sure I detest the original that much. They have a nice retro feel to them.

These alternatives look great. Especially the ones by Aaron cotton. Maybe too polished/aaa-computer-game look. Maybe push a bit amateurism/flaws into them. More rounded corners. Emphasize the build flow chart more. Just random persons two cents.

You are saying my designs look too good and need to be downgraded?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Cotton
United States
Half Moon Bay
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
REVISION 8 : FACTION ART AND BUILDING ART ARE PLACEHOLDERS

FACTION ART AND BUILDING ART ARE PLACEHOLDERS
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Egel
Germany
Solingen
Deutschland
flag msg tools
Legend5555 wrote:
gulp

And I'm not one to care usually, but something about the color scheme, style, and stark graphic design DO NOT work for me. Especially that player board, it looks EXTREMELY dull to me. I find the TM boards quite pleasing to look at, but this looks like it was ripped from an 80's or 90's game to me.

But, hey, what do I know? I'm just one guy with an opinion.

Whats wrong with the 80s/90s?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bokken B
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mb
love this. my only critique is i really like the fantasy of lantids being dolphin people and itars being space wookies

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Cotton
United States
Half Moon Bay
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Bokken wrote:
love this. my only critique is i really like the fantasy of lantids being dolphin people and itars being space wookies

Totally agree! But the current art is placeholder only. I'm going to run a kickstarter then commission new art!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wilbert Kiemeneij
Netherlands
Eindhoven
flag msg tools
I know the rules, but how do you win this game?
badge
1, 2, 3, 4, 5
mbmbmbmbmb
This may be incredibly dependent on display settings, but I can hardly see the triangle 'arrows' between the building types where you store the buildings, for the black (grey?) factions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Grace
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Olagarro wrote:
Bokken wrote:

Totally agree! But the current art is placeholder only. I'm going to run a kickstarter then commission new art!

--insert sound of a needle skidding off a record--
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Decatur
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking great, Aaron. This is another screen-dependent issue, probably, but we should figure out how to make sure the plane colors don't clash with the game pieces. For instance, on my screen the red and orange factions seem a little more on the brown side of things. I know not all such differences will create a "clash" in every case, but it's something to think about.

Another random thing about the Itars' Planetary Institute ability: I don't think we need the icon for the Area I power area there. It makes it look like the power area has something to do with the ability. The only reason the original board included that image is because it was presenting a "cutout" of that part of the board, which happens to include part of the Area I power space.

On a related note, I wonder if it would be possible, to clarify things, to chage the way the gaia area is represented on the institute spaces so that it looks more like the "D" shape you use for the actual gaia area? And, correspondingly, to represent power areas as flat ovals? I realize that might run afoul of the "iconic" system you're going for there, and might end up looking worse, but it's something to consider.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Cotton
United States
Half Moon Bay
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Wretched Git wrote:
Looking great, Aaron. This is another screen-dependent issue, probably, but we should figure out how to make sure the plane colors don't clash with the game pieces. For instance, on my screen the red and orange factions seem a little more on the brown side of things. I know not all such differences will create a "clash" in every case, but it's something to think about.

Another random thing about the Itars' Planetary Institute ability: I don't think we need the icon for the Area I power area there. It makes it look like the power area has something to do with the ability. The only reason the original board included that image is because it was presenting a "cutout" of that part of the board, which happens to include part of the Area I power space.

On a related note, I wonder if it would be possible, to clarify things, to chage the way the gaia area is represented on the institute spaces so that it looks more like the "D" shape you use for the actual gaia area? And, correspondingly, to represent power areas as flat ovals? I realize that might run afoul of the "iconic" system you're going for there, and might end up looking worse, but it's something to consider.

Great points. On the power pot shapes that's a good change. Colors is going to take a deeper dive. Also we don't need to worry about screen colors as these will be offset printed. I'll be proofing them in print for colors!

I might have to rethink how I'm using color as I think this is the only contentious part of the design
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Cotton
United States
Half Moon Bay
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
krztoff wrote:
Olagarro wrote:
Bokken wrote:

--insert sound of a needle skidding off a record--

I put the needle back on track. Sorry about that guys, old needle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Olagarro wrote:
Bokken wrote:

What? Definitely no longer interested.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Decatur
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
skyzero wrote:
Olagarro wrote:
Bokken wrote:

? Sight unseen? Tough crowd!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Grace
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Tough crowd!

You new to the thread? 🤣

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Cotton
United States
Half Moon Bay
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
skyzero wrote:
Olagarro wrote:
Bokken wrote:

I'm confused. I can't really legally use concept art I got on art station. if I'm going to print these out and kickstart them like people have been asking for then I need to go a different route.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Grace
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Olagarro wrote:
skyzero wrote:
Olagarro wrote:
Bokken wrote:

I'm confused. I can't really legally use concept art I got on art station. if I'm going to print these out and kickstart them like people have been asking for then I need to go a different route.

I don’t think the art station part was common knowledge. I know I myself thought the artwork was yours at least - probably missed a post where you specified this

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Cotton
United States
Half Moon Bay
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
krztoff wrote:
Olagarro wrote:
skyzero wrote:
Olagarro wrote:
Bokken wrote:

I don’t think the art station part was common knowledge. I know I myself thought the artwork was yours at least - probably missed a post where you specified this

Sorry for not making that more clear, I list that they are placeholders several times.

The real art will be very similar, as I plan on illustrating a lot myself. I just need to nail down the design first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Decatur
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
krztoff wrote:
I know I myself thought the artwork was yours at least - probably missed a post where you specified this

Yeah, he spoke of this in about 7 different posts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Cotton
United States
Half Moon Bay
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
WilbertK wrote:
This may be incredibly dependent on display settings, but I can hardly see the triangle 'arrows' between the building types where you store the buildings, for the black (grey?) factions.

So this makes the color usage more consistent, reduces the orange > brown issues and increases the readability:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Grace
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Olagarro wrote:
krztoff wrote:
Olagarro wrote:
skyzero wrote:
Olagarro wrote:
Bokken wrote:

Sorry for not making that more clear, I list that they are placeholders several times.

The real art will be very similar, as I plan on illustrating a lot myself. I just need to nail down the design first.

I saw you mention they were placeholders, but to me that sounded more like “I’m not finished with them yet” and not “this isn’t my artwork”

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Cotton
United States
Half Moon Bay
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
krztoff wrote:
Olagarro wrote:
krztoff wrote:
Olagarro wrote:
skyzero wrote:
Olagarro wrote:
Bokken wrote:

I saw you mention they were placeholders, but to me that sounded more like “I’m not finished with them yet” and not “this isn’t my artwork”

I'm glad you like the art and I chose! The reason I chose it is basically to ellicit the theme of the artwork that is going to be final.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy M
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
krztoff wrote:

Now I’M confused. I’m pretty sure placeholder doesn’t mean draft (unfinished), but rather that something is just holding the place of the real thing. Like using someone as a stand-in during a rehersal. Sure, maybe some creators have used drafts as placeholders, but that doesn’t change the meaning of placeholder. It just means (in that instance) that something was both a draft and a placeholder.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Grace
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The0ry wrote:
krztoff wrote:

Now I’M confused. I’m pretty sure placeholder doesn’t mean draft (unfinished), but rather that something is just holding the place of the real thing. Like using someone as a stand-in during a rehersal. Sure, maybe some creators have used drafts as placeholders, but that doesn’t change the meaning of placeholder. It just means (in that instance) that something was both a draft and a placeholder.

Im not sure what I’m supposed to do here. Maybe apologize to you because I interpreted a word differently?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Cotton
United States
Half Moon Bay
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
krztoff wrote:
The0ry wrote:
krztoff wrote:

Im not sure what I’m supposed to do here. Maybe apologize to you because I interpreted a word differently?

LOL, no, we are all adults here. Just give this project a chance regardless of who actually produces the race art.

I'm trying to figure out what makes sense and just getting feedback from you all!

I will go ahead and make a new thread soon combining the thoughts from these two and list all the points of discussion!

Thank you for your input!

FYI. I will be posting all further feedback to this project here:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2197795/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Cotton
United States
Half Moon Bay
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
The0ry wrote:
krztoff wrote:

I should have used the industry standard "FPO" but since this is not my ad work, thought I would drop it.

Sorry for the confusion and please continue your input on this project!!

FYI. I will be posting all further feedback to this project here:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2197795/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  9 , 10 , 11 , 12 , 13  | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.