Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
My shell is bigger than your apartment
badge
Speed is overrated
mbmbmbmbmb
Unclean009 wrote:
Why would the art matter this much to people if the game is fun to play?

Is it the same to here music in low quality mp3 and in a concert hall?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michał Pietrzak
Poland
Zgierz
flag msg tools
badge
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!
mbmbmbmbmb
S0laris wrote:
Unclean009 wrote:

As a musician who also work at studio - I'd rather listen to great music in mp3 than bad music at concert hall. ;)

Also: http://www.npr.org/sections/therecord/2015/06/02/411473508/h...

Anyway - I don't expected graphics in TM:PG to be anything different, so I;m not disappointed in any way. Also - I like this old style of illustrating games, I like old Brass better, I enjoy graphics in Terraforming Mars. ;)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Super Turtle
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
badge
Speed is overrated
mbmbmbmbmb
zakwas wrote:
S0laris wrote:
Unclean009 wrote:

As a musician who also work at studio - I'd rather listen to great music in mp3 than bad music at concert hall.

I prefer listening great music, live in appropriate places than on low quality mp3's.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zakwas wrote:
S0laris wrote:
Unclean009 wrote:

As a musician who also work at studio - I'd rather listen to great music in mp3 than bad music at concert hall.

Also: http://www.npr.org/sections/therecord/2015/06/02/411473508/h...

Anyway - I don't expected graphics in TMG to be anything different, so I;m not disappointed in any way. Also - I like this old style of illustrating games, I like old Brass better, I enjoy graphics in Terraforming Mars.

The hipster side of me does like the artwork in terraforming mars though..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Grace
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Horror Leader wrote:
Unclean009 wrote:

Because they are not mutually exclusive. You can have great art and the game can still be fun to play.

Not to mention that a "fun to play" version of this already exists in Terra Mystica. The change in theme should be trying to draw in NEW players, and poor artwork will not accomplish that goal.

I have been interested in TM for a long time, but never pulled the trigger. Partly because I thought the board was "ugly". That's not at all a dealbreaker, just one thing that contributed to TM never reaching the top of my buy list.

Gaia Project was EXTREMELY attractive to me when announced. I typically am drawn to space-themed games, and the mechanics of TM are very well regarded making this purchase a no-brainer.

That is, until I saw the artwork. It's so bad as to barely even evoke the theme. Even considering my penchant for space themes, I'd prefer the original TM to this game if given the choice between the two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristof Bodric
Serbia
Novi Sad
flag msg tools
badge
And the ranger's aim was deadly with the big iron on his hip...
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, you started another thread about this... Why don't you guys start another 5 threads, just in case?

For those interested TM: GP is not just a retheme it's a new game with much improved mechanisms taken from TM. In fact it's one of the smoothest games I've ever played. The artwork is just dandy in my opinion. I cannot for the life of me comprehend why people find it so ugly, though it does seem to be the same vocal bunch from the image comment section.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Grace
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
vidra wrote:
Wow, you started another thread about this... Why don't you guys start another 5 threads, just in case?

For those interested TM: GP is not just a retheme it's a new game with much improved mechanisms taken from TM. In fact it's one of the smoothest games I've ever played. The artwork is just dandy in my opinion. I cannot for the life of me comprehend why people find it so ugly, though it does seem to be the same vocal bunch from the image comment section.

Says the "Comic Sans" guy...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ode.
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I am not too thrilled about the illustrations myself.

But!!!

I recommend you to look at the game when it is produced and lying on your table. It is very easy to judge some low resolution pics in the internet. Before seeing the real game in daylight. In the real scale.

You can check this effect I intend to describe by looking at a CD cover on a computer screen and then look at the same cover but on a vinyl record.

Sometimes this is a huge difference - like day and night.

So I can only recommend to you guys to keep an open mind and not let some pre-published internet pics spoil your judgement. You might like the concept behind the illustrations when you hold the big game box in your hands.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Heeren
Germany
Eppstein-Bremthal
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmb
The cover will be changed to a darker tone and the player boards are not final yet. But do not expect as much texture on them as the TM boards have!
The dark areas are considered displays and as such they are more plain than the concept of the TM boards.
In addition, Gaia is a more complex game than TM and the boards are carrying more information. If we had added more details we would not had this thread but another reading "The boards are way too overloaded"!

We knew from the beginning that Dennis art style is not perfect for a space theme but in the end this is more a Terra Mystica game rather than a space game and we wanted to continue the style of art with it. And as a TM game it will give you a great gaming experience and the feedback from the playtesters has been terrific so far!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stewart Graham
United Kingdom
Andover
Hants
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

IMO, the art is not good.

If I was a publisher looking to reimplement (appreciate it's got new mechanics but they are blatantly utilising the previous success for this one) an already popular boardgame then I would at least be looking to improve the art/graphic design, not go backwards.

I've never player Terra Mystica but this looks very bland compared to that. Whether they've chosen a very 'brown' race for the player board, which won't help, but also the 'map' looks very unspectacular.

I liked the way TM showed strong colours to distinguish the different races on the player boards along with the strong colour and hexes on the map as well.

I personally would not buy a game if it didn't at least look interesting from an art and graphic design point of view....mind you I do own Nations which I love!!!!!laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atila Kawauti
United Kingdom
LONDON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Im a bit disapointed with the art so far. Hope it changes for good in the final version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Benedikt
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a polemic wake-up call, don't take it 100% to the heart:

The whole graphical design is just bad and this is not even subjective:
Most shapes are cut off by other shapes sometimes even overlapping the information, alternating round and pointy croners within a single shape, shape consistency is non-existant, contrasts are bad.

Summing up: the player boards cause head-ache if you look at them for a longer time, they don't look like displays, because the shapes are randomly shaped and have 3d edges, there is no glass-reflection and screens within screens (the top portion of the player-board) are physically impossible and a stupid concept.

Verdict: This looks worse than what I could come up within a weekend and I mean this seriously.

P.S.:The box-cover looks extremely wonkey, as the horizontal "window-line" is supposed to get wider on the edges and not be perfectly strait, since the pattern on the steele create the feeling that this part of the space ship has a round shape.

In general this looks like a 20€ game and for this kind of artwork, a Print and Play version would totally suffice. No need to waste colored ink on this bad graphical design and printing this on cardboard is a total waste imo. If it stays this way, I would prefer a low-fi b&w version, so that at least this bad art doesn't jump at me in high-resolution colored print and the contrasts needs to be better in b&w so you could actually discern the information more easily.

I think everyone still interested in this game after seeing the artwork can agree with me that it's about the game and not about the art or physical components, so at this point in time, you wouldn't lose a single costumer when you release this game in black and white, printed on paper and on the plus side, it would be much more profitable this way.

One last advice, if you shoot for a 20€ artwork, make sure you don't sell the game for more, better cut down on the component quality to get to this price point.

I will close this comment by saying that I find it hilarious that the developer prefers to go with this bad art, because it has a terra-mystica vibe, instead of going with art that is... I don't know... actually pleasent to look at. While I think it's fairly obvious that the bad artwork of this game will rub off on the whole terra-mystiqua brand, making it seem like an ugly overpriced game-series, the developer thinks that the better art of terra-mystiqua will magically make the unpleasent art of this game better, without altering the art itself... wow... if that's his logic...

and now in all seriousness:
I think this game deserves better art. I know I lost all interest in this game when I saw the player-boards and after taking another look at terra-mystiqua, I can only say that I find the terra-mystiqua vibe in this artwork non-existent.

I also own Nations and while it's not a beautifull game (alhtough the auction-board is very nice), at least it has an easy to grasp graphical design with shape-consistency and good contrast - the total bare minimum of graphical design that isn't optional for games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Super Turtle
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
badge
Speed is overrated
mbmbmbmbmb
DA_Maz wrote:

I think this game deserves better art.

Exactly that! You create the sequel of the best heavy euro. It deserves something better. Also we live in 2017, not 2007. High price range euros have high aesthetic standards. Look at Scythe, The Gallerist. And given the price of the previous big boxes of the publicer (Feast for Odin, Fields of Arle, Glass Road, Terra Mystica) I suspect that the price will be higher than Scythe's price, at least for the english version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DA_Maz wrote:
... alternating round and pointy corners within a single shape, shape consistency is non-existant, contrasts are bad.
... they don't look like displays, because the shapes are randomly shaped and have 3d edges, there is no glass-reflection...

I'm still looking forward to the game and hoping for the best, but I have to agree with those points.

I guess I was hoping for something like this, but with the Terra Mystica art style:

or this:

But if it's too late for changes, I won't worry about it. (Unless the component quality is equally disappointing.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pansonic
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
veector wrote:
I think the major criticism of the game boards stems from the wide areas of flat color without texture. In addition, the icon and font choices are pretty standard, almost bland, board game sci-fi fonts without much imagination. This gives the overall impression of a "low resolution" player board. In addition, the "futuristic space" theme is somewhat lost with the player board shown in the images here on the geek because they chose to show the brown player, which is drab. The overall similarity to Terra Mystic is there, but without further refinement of the textures or overall futuristic flourishes, it feels like just another pasted on theme.

Contrast this with a player board like Eclipse (below)

or Hegemonic (below)

or Kepler-3042 (below)

Another artist has reimagined player boards for Eclipse and he takes the concept in another (awesome) direction.

https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/141102/eclipse-player-boa...

Terra Mystica Sample Player Board for comparison

Wow, and here I was thinking that Scythe was the first game to include those component indentations on the board!

In my opinion, no euro in 2017 should be released without them, they are sooo convenient.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Belcher
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah I hate to say it because I love TM and was really looking forward to this version of it, but that art is terrible. I really hope the final product art is completely overhauled, but I'm guessing it is too late for that :/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lari Rissanen
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Art looks fine to me. I did skip on buying Eclipse for the drab art although I know I like the game but this one looks fine to me. The player boards might be a bit busy but other than that I've no qualms with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Schmidt
United States
Sterling
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Unclean009 wrote:

There are a lot of people who refuse to play a game if it is not appealing in appearance. If the theme is uninteresting, or the art is bland, or something superficial is amiss, they don't give the game a chance because they assume they will not have fun.

I don't understand it, but I do have to deal with it. For this reason alone I'm all about having the best art possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristof Bodric
Serbia
Novi Sad
flag msg tools
badge
And the ranger's aim was deadly with the big iron on his hip...
mbmbmbmbmb
krztoff wrote:
vidra wrote:

Says the "Comic Sans" guy...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_hominem
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Grace
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humour
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ran Carnelaine
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
☆Free the winds☆
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't like the look of most space-themed games (Eclipse included), but I'm okay with the cover art for Gaia Project. Not sure why. I used to dislike the art for Terra Mystica too, but kind of like it now, so there's that. Though I'm a bit confused about the uproar over the art for this -- is there more than the cover and the blurry game board to go off of?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephane Guibord
Canada
Vaudreuil-dorion
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The art is horrible. The player board is one of the worst thing I have seen in a boardgame. Huge let down, considering that Terra Mystica was significantly better.

Aren't follow up games supposed to improve on their predecessors? This is not a step backward, it's an entire race track backward.

Considering that Terra Mystica is one of my favorite game and Sci Fi one of my favorite theme, I thought this could be the perfect game for me. But the current Art displayed is just horribly bad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
skies wrote:
Unclean009 wrote:

There are a lot of people who refuse to play a game if it is not appealing in appearance. If the theme is uninteresting, or the art is bland, or something superficial is amiss, they don't give the game a chance because they assume they will not have fun.

I don't understand it, but I do have to deal with it. For this reason alone I'm all about having the best art possible.

The best way to understand it is that everyone defines "fun" differently. I can't have "fun" if I can't get over the superficial of the game. If the game doesn't try harder to appeal to me why should I give it another chance? Fun is everywhere why should I force myself to get over something "superficial"? (By the way boardgames are luxurious products just like Apple. If Apple doesn't have that superficial minimalistic look I'd bet many young people out there won't buy it with that kind of price. So yes superficial is kind of important when it comes to luxuries.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bellor Vargath
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Terrible art!
The box art is so bad, my hives are coming out gulp zombie
Hopefully someone in the community can make alternate art so I can modify the art in the game and on the box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup, it's looking pretty bad.

However, I doubt anyone bought Terra Mystica because they thought it had great artwork...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [13] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.