Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
69 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

Heroes of Land, Air & Sea» Forums » News

Subject: Kickstarter Relaunch (May 4th) – What has changed and how it is better! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Coe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.GamelynGames.com
badge
www.GamelynGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey everyone,

We're back this week! And as we promised, we've listened to our backers and have made some awesome improvements.

On Thursday May 4th at precisely 8AM EST, we will be re-launching Heroes of Land, Air & Sea on Kickstarter!!

The changes we have made are substantial and directly in effort to provide our backers with a better game at a better price.

Here is a comprehensive list of what has changed and how we made the change:

1. Consolidated Reward Tiers

- There are now just 2 reward tiers: Base Game (Core) and Base Game + Expansion (Deluxe).

How:
- We have combined the two expansions, Order and Chaos, into one expansion that contains all 4 additional factions.
- We have removed the Standee reward tiers.
- We will be offering pre-painted Heroes and Mercenaries as an Add-On.

2. Lower Prices

- The exact details will be revealed on launch day, but I will say this, you’re going to be VERY pleased.

How:
- We have changed manufacturers to one that I vetted on my recent trip to China. They have extensive experience in producing board games, miniatures, and action figures. They beat my previous manufacturing quote by a significant margin. I am passing this discount onto the backers.
- Combining the expansions into one box has reduced the amount of material I will need to produce and therefore I can offer the expansion at a lower price. It also allows me to move the 5th and 6th player components previously in the base game to the expansion box. This allows me to offer the base at a lower price.

3. Better Incentives

- In addition to deep discounts off the future retail price, we’re including a free promo miniature with all base game pledges and a 2nd free promo miniature with deluxe pledges. These promo miniatures will not be available to purchase in retail.
- Based on our new costs, we have recalibrated our stretch goals to get more minis to our backers faster.

How:
- A combination of the above mentioned savings has allowed us to improve the incentives for backing Heroes of Land, Air & Sea on Kickstarter.

4. Game Developments

- The game board of the base game is now 26 x 26 inches. Allowing it to fit on more game tables. A 13 x 26 inch extension board is now offered in the expansion. This adjustment also spurred a balancing of the continents since we had to recreate them anyway to split the boards. The new continents are more balanced and will therefore act as the backbone to endless replayability.
- Solo Play and Team Play has now been added as variants in the game!
- General tweaking and improving of mechanics/abilities to create a more immersive game.

How:
- By combining the expansions into one box, we are able to focus the intent of that box. It is how players add the 5th and 6th player to the game. This allowed us to shift the extra components from the base box to the expansion box and even split the game board into a base game board with an extension board.
- More time equals more plays and more refining. The game is truly humming right now. Tune in during our live playthroughs to get a feel for it and see it in action.

In conclusion, the game has gotten better, the cost and therefore price has improved dramatically, the incentives have improved and the reward tiers are simpler. What hasn’t changed is our passion for this ground breaking game that marries minis with cardboard constructs, its Warcraft-like game play, and our delivery schedule. You may wonder how we’ve managed to maintain the original delivery schedule and to that I answer, dedication. In line with our passion to produce this game is our dedication to it. We’ve put our money where our mouth is and have proceeded with creating the molds for the miniatures. This is the most time consuming part of the production process and it is behind us. This is also the most costly part of pre-production and we’ve genuinely leveraged ourselves to get to this point.
We ask that you please show your support for this truly unique game by showing up on day one and taking full advantage of our remarkably low prices and amazing offer.

Heroes of Land, Air & Sea will replace the other 4x games on your shelf, with the exception of Tiny Epic Kingdoms because it is so small and portable it still serves a purpose.

Please take a moment to view and thumb this image of a 6 player game setup to help further the exposure of the game:

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/3532306/heroes-land-air-...

And this full game board with the map extension:

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/3532305/heroes-land-air-...

Thank you all for reading this. I hope to see all of you on May 4th .

Sincerely,
Michael
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Just...awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joao C L Mendonca
Portugal
Tavira
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm one of those ppl that "has to see it to believe it" but with the "guts" you had to take down your previously funded KS and revamp everything makes me believe Gamelyn Games will get my pledge!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Rittenhouse
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I have backed every KS for Gamelyn, and proudly. Part of our International Tabletop Weekend, was Tiny Epic Galaxies (that honestly lives in our car so we always have a game with us). I have a lot of faith in your company and your products.

I was very disappointed in the original KS release of this game. I am hoping the new iteration is one I can add to my collection of not just games in general, but of Gamelyn games specifically. Kudos for having the courage to take a step back, and listen to your fans and customers. I can't wait to see the new KS. Good luck guys and gals!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Dunn
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the update, Michael. Gamelyn Games is truly one of the best publishers out there, and always provides their customers with great experiences. Can't wait for the relaunch!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Still sad that you're going with minis over standees. Minis are such a pain to store.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt M
United States
NoVA
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Actually not thrilled to see this. I don't need to be re-excited about this game and at a lower price point.

Too Many Games!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny Johnson
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Having had a chance to play this in February, I'm very excited. I'll have to review the prices, but I've luckily got some money budgeted. Perfect timing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ashley Watson
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I. Am. Sooooooooo. STOKED!!! No need to elaborate!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jose Deza
Peru
flag msg tools
mb
I liked the previous launch but the price killed it for me. This new approach (separating baee from expansions and thus lowering base price) could be what triggers a lot of backers into a 4X that plays in a moderate amount of time.
Ps. Haven't played any Tiny Epic game yet but I'm proudly and impatiently waiting for Tiny Epic Quest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you concerned that the new printer with such a significant price difference might cut corners on quality?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Coe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.GamelynGames.com
badge
www.GamelynGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
ScottE wrote:
Are you concerned that the new printer with such a significant price difference might cut corners on quality?

No, I've seen there work and it's solid. Plus, they are creating samples of the game for us to approve the quality. They are in line with other quotes I got for the game. My previous printer was over-priced.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reynolt de Vos
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This sounds awesome! I was also put off by the price previously. Kudos indeed for taking time to recalibrate!
I have a small amount budgeted for a kick starter and was just about to pull the trigger on clans of caledonia... now I will wait a few days more to see how tempting this is...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Panos
Greece
flag msg tools
badge
Whenever I smell asphalt, I think of Maureen. That's the last sensation I had, before I blacked out: the thick smell of asphalt. And the first thing I saw when I woke up was her face. She said she'd fix my bike. Free. No strings attached.
mbmbmbmbmb
I would really like it if the castles & towers were plastic and not cardboard...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
ekskafeas wrote:
I would really like it if the castles & towers were plastic and not cardboard...

Just imagine the cost of that game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bloody Cactus
United States
Lexington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
I used to be a boardgamer like you, then I took a dice bag to the knee from Tonya Harding
mbmbmbmbmb
runner_boy_4ever wrote:
ekskafeas wrote:

dont worry, they can pull it once its funded just like last time and re-launch it promising plastic towers, with a newer chinese manufacturer who can undercut the current one, bringing even more quality for less price!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
BloodyCactus wrote:
runner_boy_4ever wrote:
ekskafeas wrote:

dont worry, they can pull it once its funded just like last time and re-launch it promising plastic towers, with a newer chinese manufacturer who can undercut the current one, bringing even more quality for less price!

Plastics just too expensive though or else Heroscape would have had a longer lifespan at retail.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Young
United States
Ogden
UT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
runner_boy_4ever wrote:
BloodyCactus wrote:
runner_boy_4ever wrote:
ekskafeas wrote:

Plastics just too expensive though or else Heroscape would have had a longer lifespan at retail.

The cost of plastic didn't kill Heroscape. It wasn't overpriced when it was available, on the contrary, it offered a lot of value for the price. It died because of a poor distribution strategy and bad product management decisions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Panos
Greece
flag msg tools
badge
Whenever I smell asphalt, I think of Maureen. That's the last sensation I had, before I blacked out: the thick smell of asphalt. And the first thing I saw when I woke up was her face. She said she'd fix my bike. Free. No strings attached.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

Plastic is not that expensive. 1 plastic miniature can 30c if produced in large quantities. Some companies just dont do their research or just try to get more profit using plastic minis as an excuse. That said i could settle for wooden pieces as well. (although i think it is as expensive as plastic) The thing is that i just dont like assembled cardboard buildings... the have an amateurish look to them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brodie
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The noticeable creases, cracks, and wear shown in the pictures posted a couple months ago is definitely concerning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt M
United States
NoVA
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Brodie17 wrote:
The noticeable creases, cracks, and wear shown in the pictures posted a couple months ago is definitely concerning.

This for sure. Thank you for reminding me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
TIM0THY wrote:
runner_boy_4ever wrote:
BloodyCactus wrote:
runner_boy_4ever wrote:
ekskafeas wrote:

The cost of plastic didn't kill Heroscape. It wasn't overpriced when it was available, on the contrary, it offered a lot of value for the price. It died because of a poor distribution strategy and bad product management decisions.

I stand corrected then about the Heroscape example.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny Johnson
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ekskafeas wrote:
Quote:

Plastic is not that expensive. 1 plastic miniature can 30c if produced in large quantities. Some companies just dont do their research or just try to get more profit using plastic minis as an excuse. That said i could settle for wooden pieces as well. (although i think it is as expensive as plastic) The thing is that i just dont like assembled cardboard buildings... the have an amateurish look to them.

I played a prototype that seemed like near finished quality and I thought the cardboard pieces were quite impressive.

I'm not saying plastic might not be nicer, but I was certainly impressed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Young
United States
Ogden
UT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
runner_boy_4ever wrote:
TIM0THY wrote:

I stand corrected then about the Heroscape example.

To be fair, Craig Van Ness did go on record stating that the increase in oil prices (and thus plastic prices) would prevent Heroscape from ever coming back to market in it's original form. But that's a separate issue from why it died.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Coe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.GamelynGames.com
badge
www.GamelynGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Brodie17 wrote:

Those were prototype pieces made by a print on demand company, not final production pieces. The final product will be higher quality.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.