Deb W
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
Itching for a new game to add to our slowly growing collection.

A lot of playing is just me and my spouse so something that plays well with 2 is a must. If we do play with 4, it's either another couple who are also avid gamers, or our kids ages 8 & 12...with the occasional guest or two thrown in. But 5+ players isn't a must. I'm not too keen on games where the two-player variant is largely different as I can have some difficulty retaining two sets of rules

Mostly we like strategy games - my favourites at the moment are Plague Inc and Power Grid, both of which I like very much as 2-player. But are open to just about anything that isn't co-op.

Would like this new addition to be not too pricey - in the $40 CDN range, give or take, which would be something like $25-35 US.

I've narrowed (ha!) to this list:
Bruges
Bora Bora
Galaxy Trucker
Village
La Granja
Goa
Istanbul
Stone Age
Lords of Waterdeep
Castles of Burgundy
Race for the Galaxy
Imperial Settlers - a little pricey but the kids would probably like the look of this one
Suburbia - also a little pricey, but appeals to me

Or, should we say to hell with the kids and get Patchwork or Jaipur for the two of us?

Any input, insight, yays or nays...or something else to consider...would be great! Thanks very much!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy root
United States
Kingsley
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I haven't played most of those yet, but castles of burgundy is great at 2. Race for the Galaxy if also very good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Race for the Galaxy plays fine with 2, might be too much for the kids or guests to learn (unless the other couple already knows it).

Stone Age would be a good choice, as would Castles of Burgundy.

Galaxy Trucker is fun, but people have to be okay with their ships getting blown up.

La Granja is probably my favorite of the list, and it has a pretty quick and painless setup.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From that list I'd go with Lords of Waterdeep...scales pretty well across all player counts (2-5)...also plays well with casual gamers as well as more experienced gamers...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Jones
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love both Castles of Burgundy and Suburbia, and they both play pretty much exactly the same at all player counts. They would both be a bit tough for your youngest though, I think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Level 3 Tunt
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Race for the Galaxy will give you the most bang for your buck for two players. Steep learning curve but if you stick it out you'll get more plays out of that than all the other games combined. As others have mentioned though, it's not the best to break out for a family game night. Galaxy Trucker seems like the best bet there from your list.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Rausch
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
Just my nickel's worth:

I got Patchwork specifically to play with my girlfriend, and it is WAAY more fun than I thought it would be.

We also play a lot of Splendor, which can be more than 2 people. I know it gets a lot of hate, but it is a solid game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Jones
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One game not on your list that I'd consider in the future is Five Tribes. It scales well from 2-4 and is very approachable. The only downside is that it's currently outside your price range. If you can find a deal at any point, take a look at it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If it were only adults, I'd go with The Castles of Burgundy, La Granja and/or Race for the Galaxy, but I have all of them and an 8 and 12 year old and they won't go near them.

Imperial Settlers has the visual appeal to interest the kids and the depth of gameplay to challenge the adults. It's one of my favorite games at any player count, it even has a nice solo mode with campaign rules for some between-session games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Churchill
United Kingdom
Holland on Sea
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Castles of burgundy is fantastic two player and scales to 3 or 4

Wife loves it and hs the right amount of stategy without being too thinky.

Its cheap too!

Lost cities we find better than jaipur and patchwork although both these two are good but not as good as lost cities.

Bruges is a good shout but not as good as castles of Burgundy.

RA plays well with two 3 or 4

Stone age is good at two, three or four

Avoid Splendour its dull as ditchwater imo

If your partner is ok with war theme (mines not) but I play memoir 44 with my sons, also Claustrophobia with sons which is awesome!

Also consider Mr Jack if deductions your thing

All in all just get Castles of Burgundy its the nuts, dont be put off by thin theme/dull components it really is a great game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nestor Ivanor
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Castles of Burgundy is a must add to your collection. Such a great game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bazmondo123 wrote:
Lost cities we find better than jaipur and patchwork although both these two are good but not as good as lost cities.

Or just get Battle Line. I liked Jaipur over Patchwork though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Chen
Taiwan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Goa, Stone Age, and Race for the Galaxy all work well for two. Out of these, Goa is the best game in my opinion.

Bora Bora is probably better at three than it is at two, but given that you like Power Grid at two it should work pretty well for you at two.

Imperial Settlers is more complicated, and is probably best at two because adding more players adds more downtime.

I didn't like Lords of Waterdeep very much, because it's just a run-of-the-mill worker placement for me. YMMV.

I'd suggest Goa and Bora Bora. Medium weight strategy games with lots of interaction, good at two, also scales well to four.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Chen
Taiwan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
matthean wrote:
Bazmondo123 wrote:

Or just get Battle Line. I liked Jaipur over Patchwork though.
I prefer Schotten Totten over Battle Line.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deb W
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks so much for the input. Can always count on this board for great insight.

Castles of Burgundy is getting a lot of love so I'm leaning towards that. But it might be a decision once I'm in store and have boxes in hand. The kids are actually quite capable, especially my younger one. He legitimately beats us in Dominion and holds his own in many other things. As long as we thoroughly learn the game before we try to put it on the table in front of them, they are good sports.

I think I did have Five Tribes under consideration but took it off for price - it is $70 here and unfortunately things just never go on flash sale the way they do in the states. I'm not opposed to spending that much on a game that's worth it, but I try to watch for sales across the border, put together a sizeable order and plan to pick it up when we are visiting down there or having visitors coming here who can deliver.

And as an aside, we have Splendor and I quite enjoy it for 2, much more than for 3 or 4 actually. I've tired on it a bit because I got delayed for a flight so I got the app in the airport and have overplayed that...wanted to get my 3 dollars worth!
Thanks again. If there are other suggestions or considerations please do contribute them. Will report back what we end up buying and how we make out with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwayne Bolt
United States
Bar Harbor
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd go with Castles of Burgundy. I saw you had Bora Bora listed, it's fun, but not nearly as much as Castles of Burgundy, and I don't really like it with two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Dowden
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hum...great list.

My order - I own or have played all of them:

Probably best for you as it plays well with any number:
Castles of Burgundy - excellent, easy to learn, right amount of randomness

These are all good choices:
Istanbul - Great at any number
Stone Age - solid with a little luck
Lords of Waterdeep - very good worker placement
Village - scales well and...interesting with villagers 'deaths'

These are better with four (IMHO):
Goa - great game but absolutely best with four
La Granja - nice deep game...never played with two
Imperial Settlers - nice...I traded it away because I like Ora et Labora better and I find them similar...sort of...best with four

Interesting choices...but less fetching:
Bora Bora - nice, but a little busy
Bruges - about the only Feld game I haven't loved

Not for me...could work for you:
Race for the Galaxy - meh...but some people love it
Galaxy Trucker - Luck driven mess that some people love
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Ash
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also highly recommend Castles of Burgundy and Race for the Galaxy--two of my favorite games of all time.

Some thoughts on the other games on your list:
Lords of Waterdeep - we prefer Champions of Midgard for gateway worker placement; our kids greatly prefer the theme integration
Bruges - a light but interesting 45 minute game for when we don't feel like playing Race for the Galaxy
Village - not crazy about this one--I don't like my workers dying!
Bora Bora - great game, a little more complex, but not quite as elegant as Castles of Burgundy
Suburbia - haven't played this one, but we greatly enjoy the similar Castles of Mad King Ludwig
Galaxy Trucker - a great time-based spatial puzzle (combined with random carnage!). You have to be in the right mind set for this one, but I love it.
Imperial Settlers - I am skeptical of this game. I've played 51st State (very similar, by the same designer), and was greatly disappointed by unbalanced cards and combos, especially for the length of this type of game.

I would also recommend Star Realms; it's two player only, but so well designed! It's simple, but has interesting decisions, and my kids love this one.

Also consider:
Oracle of Delphi
Amerigo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J .M
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Imperial Settlers
Race for the galaxy
Suburbia
La Granja

These are four of my favorite games.I would pick them in this order for myself. I think an 8 year old would probably have hard time learning La Granja if that's a concern.Imperial Settlers might be though for them as well.

Race can be hard to learn what the icons on the cards mean but it's not as big a deal as every one makes it out to be.

San Juan (second edition) could be good alternative to Race if ease of learning is a problum,and it's great game on it's own. They are basically the same game but in race almost every card is unique while San Juan has many repeats.
This give Race more variety in how each game plays and requires you to be very tactical. But makes it easier to learn the deck and be strategic in San Juan. Also San Juan plays until someone has built their twelfth building instead of when the scoring pool runs out so San Juan feels more complete at the end to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deb W
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
Ended up getting Castles of Burgundy. Outstanding recommendation. It took us a bit to get the hang of it but I absolutely love it. Plus, I've won 3 out of 5 games we've played Thanks for all the recommendations!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Churchill
United Kingdom
Holland on Sea
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
16crab wrote:
Ended up getting Castles of Burgundy. Outstanding recommendation. It took us a bit to get the hang of it but I absolutely love it. Plus, I've won 3 out of 5 games we've played Thanks for all the recommendations!

Excellent choice and glad you like it....now you need Lost Cities the card game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.