United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
This is a question about order of events during an attack. Is it the case that
A)
Damage is dealt then status effects are applied
Or B)
Status effects are applied then damage is delt

For an example lets consider the basic attack of the rapier upgraded with blood gem, where the roll is sufficient to deal damage.
Case A)
The damage is delt, then the bleed is applied, leaving the enemy with lower health and a bleed token
Case B)
The bleed token is added, then the damage is delt, triggering the bleed effect immediately lowering the enemies health by 2 and removing the bleed token

I played with interpretation A), but case B) could be used and is clearly better, what do people think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam Brennan
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Eternally
badge
Deluded
mbmbmbmbmb
Your first scenario is correct, status effects are added AFTER weapon damage is applied, otherwise bleed would simply add 2 to your damage rather than proc next time the enemy gets hit. So the order would be:

You attack with the weapon, making your roll to see how much damage you do. You then apply the damage and any specific status effects. In the case of bleed, you then place a bleed token on that enemy. The next time that enemy takes damage, increase that damage by 2 points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed the Jellyfish
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Yeah that figures.

It would be different to +2 damage, since if you fudged the roll the bleed token would be left on the enemy and they wouldn't take damage.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny C
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
On the subject of the bleed effect, I'm either going crazy or there doesn't seem to be a situation where having a bleed token on an enemy model is of benefit:

If a player inflicts damage and the damaged enemy model gains a bleed token, the player then ends their activation. Then all enemies activate, and the rules state that any effect tokens are removed when a model ends its activation. So in this case, the model with the bleed token removes the bleed token when it ends its activation, before any other player character has had a chance to inflict more damage on it to take advantage of the bleed effect...

Am I missing something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Becker
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
"When a model ends its activation, remove any poison, frostbite, or stagger tokens from that model."

Bleed token will only be removed if triggered or at the end of the encounter.

"When a model that has a Bleed token suffers damage, it suffers 2 additional damage. Then remove the Bleed token."

"Additionally, if any models have condition tokens at the end of an encounter, remove those condition tokens as well."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny C
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Replect wrote:
"When a model ends its activation, remove any poison, frostbite, or stagger tokens from that model."

Bleed token will only be removed if triggered or at the end of the encounter.

"When a model that has a Bleed token suffers damage, it suffers 2 additional damage. Then remove the Bleed token."

"Additionally, if any models have condition tokens at the end of an encounter, remove those condition tokens as well."

*facepalm* I really should read things more carefully. Thank you for highlighting that, I'll show myself out now whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philipp Stockhorst
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hey guys, after 3 playthroughs I have One more question relating bleed:
HOW is the bleed effect triggered, after I put that Status on an enemy?the rulebook says the next time that enemy is dealt damage , it suffers 2 additional damage. To me this is not 100% clear. Do I have to penetrate its armour /resistence and Do at least one point of damage to get the additional extra two bleed damage (then it would be worthless against any 1hp-enemy) or is it triggered as soon as I attack? ( roll two black dice against a Silver Knight swordsman with 2 armour. Roll 1 hit. Bleed damage on top. 3 damage at all. Knight is dead)
Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Kaut
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sealed in Blood wrote:
Hey guys, after 3 playthroughs I have One more question relating bleed:
HOW is the bleed effect triggered, after I put that Status on an enemy?the rulebook says the next time that enemy is dealt damage , it suffers 2 additional damage. To me this is not 100% clear. Do I have to penetrate its armour /resistence and Do at least one point of damage to get the additional extra two bleed damage (then it would be worthless against any 1hp-enemy) or is it triggered as soon as I attack? ( roll two black dice against a Silver Knight swordsman with 2 armour. Roll 1 hit. Bleed damage on top. 3 damage at all. Knight is dead)
Thanks

You have to deal damage.
Bleed is indeed only of any use when used on an enemy with 2+ Hit Points, like the Large Hollow or a Sentinel...
... Or a Boss!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philipp Stockhorst
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for the quick response. So bleed is for the big guys, poison more for the 1hp guys or in combination with bleed to trigger the bleedeffect faster
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Becker
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Sealed in Blood wrote:
Thanks for the quick response. So bleed is for the big guys, poison more for the 1hp guys or in combination with bleed to trigger the bleedeffect faster

Correct!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.