Subject: Overpaid Athletes rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
¡dn ʇǝƃ ʇ,uɐɔ ı puɐ uǝllɐɟ ǝʌ,ı
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
Life lesson: Hamsters are NOT diswasher safe.
badge
There are 10 types of people-- those who understand binary, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb
The amount of money that some sports teams will throw at their star performers is staggering.
Staggeringly stupid, in my opinion, but I guess if you're a billionaire and you want to pay someone tens of millions to play a game for you, then that's your perogative.

With endorsement deals, the highly paid athlete has an even bigger source of income, usually.

So then-- in which sport do you think that the highest (best paid) "althlete", including endorsements, and adjusted monetarily for historically comparitive purposes, participates (or participated)?

Quiz
All monetary figures adjusted for comparison purposes, which sport does (or did) the best paid athlete participate in?
North American Football
European Football (soccer)
North American Baseball
Golf
North American Basketball
International (World) Car Racing
Other
    117 answers
Quiz created by MABBY
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
There are 10 types of people-- those who understand binary, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Overpaid Atletes
Explanation of answer

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Other-- Chariot Racing

Apparently, even using a sketchy monetary conversion of how much a Roman Sesterce is when compared to a dollar or a pound, it isn't even close:

One charioteer, named Gaius Appuleius Diocles, amassed a fortune 35,863,120 sesterces in prize money – the equivalent of $15 billion (£9.6 billion).

The article notes that Tiger Woods would be #2, having gone over a billion dollars in 2010.

Their method of financial conversion equates how much it would take to pay a modern army, which is the historical basis on which they worked from.

source: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/7942...

The man, from what is now Portugal, won 1,462 out of the 4,257 four-horse chariot races he competed in.
So he was pretty good at what he did.
Oh, and all without any endorsements.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Overpaid Atletes
MABBY wrote:
The amount of money that some sports teams will throw at their star performers is staggering.
Staggeringly stupid, in my opinion, but I guess if you're a billionaire and you want to pay someone tens of millions to play a game for you, then that's your perogative.
They're not paying them out of the goodness of their heart. A star athlete drives attendance at the games, merchandise sales, etc. I doubt they'd pay them nearly so much if they weren't making it back, and more, in sales.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In truthfulness, I would say golf for the sheer reason of lack of injuries and long term physical issues. Even after a pro golfer "retires," they can then go and play on the senior tour. Off hand, about the only other sport I have seen someone say age 50 win a major title would be for boxing but that's also someone taking further punishment to their brain.

If Tiger had remotely kept pace after the incident or if it had never happened, the numbers he could have put up would be staggering.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd rather have billionaires throwing a few million at athletes than have taxpayers throwing billions at billionaires to build new stadiums with all profits going to said billionaires.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Levy
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Best hobby, with the best people in the world. Gaming is the best!
mbmbmbmbmb
I would also much rather see the individuals with the real talent get the money, rather than the owners of the franchises, who are often incredibly greedy and incredibly stupid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MSN thinks the (modern) answer is Michael Jordan.

But the sports list is showing its American bias in missing Formula 1. Michael Schumacher is (on that list) ahead of everyone except Michael Kordan and a few golfers. And he's not the only highly paid person in that sport.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Seguin
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dearlove wrote:

But the sports list is showing its American bias in missing Formula 1. Michael Schumacher is (on that list) ahead of everyone except Michael Kordan and a few golfers. And he's not the only highly paid person in that sport.

Wait, are you criticizing MABBY's "sports list"?

Because he not only included non-American football (second on the list), but also included International Auto Racing (which includes your F1), as well as "Other" in case someone may have been thinking Australian Football, Cricket, and/or Quidditch.

(Or are you saying MSN is showing American bias? Then I would probably agree with you, based on MSN's demographic being primarily America, and very few non-immigrant Americans know of any sport other than football (NFL), basketball, baseball, or hockey - i.e the four major "professional" sports in the US).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MABBY wrote:

I fail to see the difference in paying an NBA star $25 million/year to entertain 1 million people a night for 100 nights a year versus paying Emma Watson $15 million dollars to entertain 50 million people in a movie.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Holt
England
Rayleigh
Essex
flag msg tools
This is not the cat you're looking for - some other cat maybe?
badge
tout passe, tout lasse, tout casse
mbmbmbmbmb
matthean wrote:
Off hand, about the only other sport I have seen someone say age 50 win a major title would be for boxing but that's also someone taking further punishment to their brain.

The Olympic Gold in showjumping was won by a 58-year old and he is not the oldest Brit to have won an Olympic Gold.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chrisnd wrote:
International Auto Racing (which includes your F1)

No one would recognise that description as meaning F1.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
andyholt wrote:
matthean wrote:
Off hand, about the only other sport I have seen someone say age 50 win a major title would be for boxing but that's also someone taking further punishment to their brain.

The Olympic Gold in showjumping was won by a 58-year old and he is not the oldest Brit to have won an Olympic Gold.

Shooting and archery have had the oldest medallists.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I knew I shouldn't have quit baseball.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dearlove wrote:
andyholt wrote:
matthean wrote:

Or maybe Curling.
According to the IOC, Carl August Kronlund of Sweden was the oldest Winter Olympics medallist, winning silver in 1924 at the age of 59.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Seguin
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dearlove wrote:
chrisnd wrote:

I had a nice rebuttal to you, but it continued to get more snarky as I continued to edit it. So I gave up because I am only an asshole to people I like.

Perhaps MABBY can explain why he failed to be "International" enough for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean
United States
Mechanicsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
I don't want happiness by halves, nor is half of sorrow what I want. Yet there's a pillow I would share, where gently pressed against a cheek like a helpless star, a falling star, a ring glimmers on the finger of a hand.
mbmbmbmbmb
When Michael Schumacher was F1 world champion in 2004 he was the highest paid "sportstar" in the world, a huge chunk of it was from endorsements.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chrisnd wrote:
Dearlove wrote:

Wait, are you criticizing MABBY's "sports list"?

Because he not only included non-American football (second on the list), but also included International Auto Racing (which includes your F1), as well as "Other" in case someone may have been thinking Australian Football, Cricket, and/or Quidditch.

(Or are you saying MSN is showing American bias? Then I would probably agree with you, based on MSN's demographic being primarily America, and very few non-immigrant Americans know of any sport other than football (NFL), basketball, baseball, or hockey - i.e the four major "professional" sports in the US).

Circle track racing is more popular than hockey is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon M
United Kingdom
Hitchin
Herts
flag msg tools
MABBY wrote:
Explanation of answer

Other-- Chariot Racing

Apparently, even using a sketchy monetary conversion of how much a Roman Sesterce is when compared to a dollar or a pound, it isn't even close:

One charioteer, named Gaius Appuleius Diocles, amassed a fortune 35,863,120 sesterces in prize money – the equivalent of $15 billion (£9.6 billion).

The article notes that Tiger Woods would be #2, having gone over a billion dollars in 2010.

Their method of financial conversion equates how much it would take to pay a modern army, which is the historical basis on which they worked from.

The man, from what is now Portugal, won 1,462 out of the 4,257 four-horse chariot races he competed in.

Ah yes that standard measure of inflation - how much it costs to pay an army.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MABBY wrote:
Dearlove wrote:
andyholt wrote:
matthean wrote:

Or maybe Curling.
According to the IOC, Carl August Kronlund of Sweden was the oldest Winter Olympics medallist, winning silver in 1924 at the age of 59.

There are 60+ year olds in shooting and archery history.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dearlove wrote:
chrisnd wrote:

I did, that's why I checked that box. It seemed pretty clearcut to me.

I wasn't aware of the chariot guy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mc Jarvis
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
I speak to improve upon the cacophony.
badge
This heart is meant to convince you that I feel.
mbmbmbmbmb
Jon_1066 wrote:
MABBY wrote:
Explanation of answer

Other-- Chariot Racing

Ah yes that standard measure of inflation - how much it costs to pay an army.

Personally I like to use salt to measure relative weath between ancient rome and modern day, so it turns out ancient romans got paid barely anything at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fair
United States
Damascus
MD
flag msg tools
designer
Or maybe PowerGrid?
badge
Yeah, that's me. Handsome devil, I know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
MABBY wrote:
They're not paying them out of the goodness of their heart. A star athlete drives attendance at the games, merchandise sales, etc. I doubt they'd pay them nearly so much if they weren't making it back, and more, in sales.

My father tells the story (who knows if it is true... I never googled it) that when the Celtics signed Larry Bird to his first contract, they made the money back for the full 4-years before he had ever played a single minute.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have no objection to people charging (and other people paying) ridiculously high prices for non-essential items. If some rich owner wants to pay zillions to a star athlete, and/or some fan wants to pay 0.1 zillion for a seat to watch that athlete, more power to'em. It's, from an economic standpoint, like paying zillions for a Van Gogh.

I do worry about people charging arbitrarily high prices for essentials (food, water, health care) or if people use government money to pay those prices (stadiums, Olympic games hosting.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
guy
Wallis and Futuna
Grand Bois Du Nord
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
davypi wrote:
MABBY wrote:
Staggeringly stupid, in my opinion

I fail to see the difference in paying an NBA star $25 million/year versus paying Emma Watson $15 million dollars

I see no difference either--both situations are equally obscene.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
professorguy wrote:
davypi wrote:
MABBY wrote:
Staggeringly stupid, in my opinion

I fail to see the difference in paying an NBA star $25 million/year versus paying Emma Watson $15 million dollars

I see no difference either--both situations are equally obscene.

Really? Would you also say that Markus Persson or Richard Garfield are paid obscenely? I bet if you work out the income they've made per capita of people they entertained, its probably equitable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.