Subject: Help setting up 8 player tournament rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ross Hubbard
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
My idea is to have 8 people play four different two player games in one night. We would have four tables and each game (Dominion, Santorini, 7 wonders Duel, and lost cities card game) would play in roughly the same amount of time. Each game would stay on a designated table (W,X,Y,Z). A player (a,b,c,d,e,f,g,h) would need to win three games at a table to be that tables winner. I am trying to make the tournament so that each player is seeing as much diversity of other players as possible. I know that once folks start winning then that diversity may subside.

Can anyone suggest how the first rounds should be played out? Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Taylor
United States
Brookville
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't fleshed this out entirely, but perhaps this would work:

Round 1:
a|w|h
b|x|g

Round 2, each player move tables whether win or lose:
d|w|g (Both seats move right relative to their current position)
a|x|f

After the four opening rounds each table would have 4 winners. Make a bracket trying to ensure all tables are in use at the same time, and whoever wins the table bracket will have 3 wins and will the the ultimate champion.

I realize there may be some unwanted downtime, but perhaps the people currently not playing a bracketed game would just randomly team up on an open table.

Subscribing to this to see what you end doing and how it works out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Taylor
United States
Brookville
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm wondering if the bracket (especially double elimination) would be way too long to complete for 4 games in one tournament. A simple single elimination may suffice, as the OP wanted to crown the victor after 3 wins, but the double elimination adds to the diversity of opponents.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry L
United States
Stockton
California
flag msg tools
He who games with the most dice wins.
badge
I + I = 0
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a schedule where each player plays 4 different games in a row and never plays the same opponent twice. It was more difficult to come up with than I thought. Michael's, above, has people facing each other in game 1 and game 3.

After that, each game will have four winners and four losers. The four winners could engage in a single elimination tournament, but the challenge is that the same players could be in multiple tournaments, and some players could be in none of those tournaments.

If you have four copies of each game you could run the first four rounds as above, then two rounds for each game, where 8 people face off Table 1: W vs W, Table 2: W vs W, Table 3: L vs L, Table: 4 L vs L, and players reseat for the second game (Table 1: WW vs WW, Table 2: WL vs WL Table 3: LW vs LW Table 4: LL vs LL) but obtaining four copies of each game is pretty challenging.

Alternatively, you could run each mini tournament for each table, with as little overlap as possible. Some tables will be empty sometimes (because of players who won multiple games the first round) and the big losers will just have to hang back and watch (or go play something else at the losers table).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry L
United States
Stockton
California
flag msg tools
badge
I + I = 0
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is a shorter tournament. The big drawback is that many players might not see many different games.

1) Play 3 rounds, where the loser shifts to the right.

2) If any player won all 3 rounds, they are the champion of that table.

3) If one player won 2 rounds, they face the single player who won 1 round.
They play one or two games until the champion (3 total wins) is decided.

4) Finally if three player each won 1 round, the final winner hasn't lost at that game yet. The final winner faces each of the first two winners, after which either that player has won 3 games, or two players have won 2 games. In the second case they face each other.

The problems you can see are that losers will see more diverse games than winners, but each champion will be decided more quickly (between 3 and 6 games per table). Weirdly, only by losing do you have a chance of becoming the champion of multiple tables.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Or very quick and simple for a light fun tournament: simply randomly pair the players in each round.

If you like, regenerate if 2 people are paired who were already paired in an earlier round.

Anyway, after X rounds, see who has the most wins. Usual tiebreakers are SOS (sum of opponents' scores), SODOS (sum of defeated opponents' scores), HTH (head to head), etc. A bit of websearching will find more info and ideas. (If you want to be more hardcore about the pairing, look for Swiss-McMahon pairing.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael McKibbin
United States
Clemmons
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BoilerUp wrote:
My idea is to have 8 people play four different two player games in one night. We would have four tables and each game (Dominion, Santorini, 7 wonders Duel, and lost cities card game) would play in roughly the same amount of time. Each game would stay on a designated table (W,X,Y,Z). A player (a,b,c,d,e,f,g,h) would need to win three games at a table to be that tables winner. I am trying to make the tournament so that each player is seeing as much diversity of other players as possible. I know that once folks start winning then that diversity may subside.

I'm still trying to figure this out. Would every player play all 4 games one time (against a different opponent each time), or would a player play the same game multiple times against different opponents?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ross Hubbard
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
hgman3 wrote:
BoilerUp wrote:

I'm still trying to figure this out. Would every player play all 4 games one time (against a different opponent each time), or would a player play the same game multiple times against different opponents?

Everyone would have a chance to play all four games. So in essence all 8 people are involved in four different single elimination tournaments. I am just trying to get a diversity of opponents in the opening rounds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry L
United States
Stockton
California
flag msg tools
badge
I + I = 0
mbmbmbmbmb
BoilerUp wrote:
hgman3 wrote:
BoilerUp wrote:

Everyone would have a chance to play all four games. So in essence all 8 people are involved in four different single elimination tournaments. I am just trying to get a diversity of opponents in the opening rounds.

That's what I was describing. Give each player their ticket:

Player a: Wb, Xg, Yc, Zf
Player b: Wa, Yh, Zd, Xe
Player c: Xd, Ze, Ya, Wh
Player d: Xc, Wf, Zb, Yg
Player e: Yf, Zc, Wg, Xb
Player f: Ye, Wd, Xh, Za
Player g: Zh, Xa, We, Yd
Player h: Zg, Yb, Xf, Wc

At the end of the 4 rounds, the first round of a single elimination tournament has been completed for each game. Each player has played each game one time. Each player has faced four different opponents.

Then you have to finish each tournament with the four winners (so 2 games, then 1 championship game.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ross Hubbard
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
Thank you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.