Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The thing that jumped out at me most from the recent announcement...

Quote:
- Solo Play and Team Play has now been added as variants in the game!

Can we have some details on how solo play will work? How will the opponent AI work? Are the rules finalized and ready to share?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Villarreal
United States
Van Nuys
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sure we'll find out soon enough since the campaign starts in 3 days.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fuzzyfoot wrote:

Apparently not...nothing about solo or co-op team play anywhere on the campaign page other than to say it's included in the game...

Edit: no co-op mode planned, just solo and team play
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Coe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.GamelynGames.com
badge
www.GamelynGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
MAJBrown22 wrote:
fuzzyfoot wrote:

Apparently not...nothing about solo or co-op play anywhere on the campaign page other than to say it's included in the game...

We'll be sharing more info on solo soon. Co-op is not happening in this project but we like the idea and will explore it in the future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mgcoe wrote:
MAJBrown22 wrote:
fuzzyfoot wrote:

Apparently not...nothing about solo or co-op play anywhere on the campaign page other than to say it's included in the game...

We'll be sharing more info on solo soon. Co-op is not happening in this project but we like the idea and will explore it in the future.

Sorry, I meant to say team play, not co-op. Looking forward to seeing more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Coe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.GamelynGames.com
badge
www.GamelynGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
MAJBrown22 wrote:
mgcoe wrote:
MAJBrown22 wrote:
fuzzyfoot wrote:

Sorry, I meant to say team play, not co-op. Looking forward to seeing more.

No worries. Yes, we will be sharing more info on both team play and solo soon. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dusty Craine
United States
Linden
Michigan
flag msg tools
Roll Damn Tide!
badge
Me
mbmbmbmbmb
mgcoe wrote:
Yes, we will be sharing more info on both team play and solo soon. Thanks!

Why the delay in announcing it? It's an important consideration in backing some products for people. It certainly is for me.

If it's a matter of still play testing, I've seen Kickstarters that presented plain .doc file with solo rules. It doesn't need final art. Just a caveat that says game play and rules are subject to change. Solo rules may need tightening or balancing, but folks can get a general idea if the solo rule set is their type of automation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
I am also interested in the solo rules. I'm also curious why coop wasn't considered since solo can be expanded upon into cooperative mode.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Almes
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
We will be releasing the solo rules soon. The delay was on my end, not Michael's. There were some family-related issues that delayed me getting some files over to him so he could prep them for the public. But, we'll be talking about it soon!

As far as why the solo can't be expanded into cooperative play is because the solo mode basically drives a single faction. And the faction powers and abilities are designed to be balanced against one another. If you would play two or more live players against a solo driven faction, it would be a landslide in favor of the live players. Just like if you played two player team against a single player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Broderick
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I spent all weekend impatiently clicking 'refresh' on the kickstarter page and was eventually rewarded with an update that discussed the solo mode.

It was scant on details but suggested that the mode requires you to manage three different opponents! This sounds like a lot of upkeep.

The thing is though, Warcraft + Thundercats means I really want to like this game. Is there any chance at all of seeing a solo playthrough before the campaign ends?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Almes
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The upkeep is very low for the solo play. The solo player will have three armies on the board, but for each action they will only interact with one of them. So, you aren't managing three armies at a time, but rather just one. I don't like a lot of fiddling upkeep in my solo play, so I was very aware of this while designing it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Broderick
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Scott, that's reassuring. I'm going to continue to wait for more details though - I'm really excited by the look of this game and I've whipped myself into a fervour where I'm either all in at the top level or skipping it all together.

For now though - it's great that you're continuing to answer questions and interact with both backers and potential backers in a positive way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Almes
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
cornishlee wrote:
For now though - it's great that you're continuing to answer questions and interact with both backers and potential backers in a positive way.

Happy to answer any questions you have. We're pretty much an open book. I will say, whether it's Solo all the way to 6-player, we design the game to be worth owning no matter what player count hits your table. When we put it on the box we 100% mean it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Broderick
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And I've just seen you comment over on the Kickstarter page that there will be a solo runtrhough video. This is excellent news (although my fiancée may not thank me when I've already monopolised the TV to watch the existing playthrough video!).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank M.
United States
upstate New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cornishlee wrote:
And I've just seen you comment over on the Kickstarter page that there will be a solo runtrhough video. This is excellent news (although my fiancée may not thank me when I've already monopolised the TV to watch the existing playthrough video!).

Ditto, looking forward to the solo play through video. I was all in but cancelled my pledge after watching the current play through video. Hard to put my finger on the exact reason. Maybe because as your demonstrator mentioned st the end of the video, he played it like a Euro? I LOVE Euros and, thus, the potential for this game, but after dropping over $1,000 on KS already this year, I'm not feeling like this is worth $209 risk.

I hope the solo video is much more compelling, because I'd certainly consider it again just for that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.