Subject: gloomhaven rpg? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
calpurnio pison

rafelbunyol
valencia
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the usual way is to create a board game from a role playing game, but in this case, i think the world around gloomhaven would deserve it.

do you think we will ever see a gloomhaven rpg? maybe even a official rpg?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United States
Boulder
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the way to go with this would be setting information that would help people use the Gloomhaven setting and world in D&D, Pathfinder, and I'd like to see suggestions for Fate:Core, (and Burning Wheel too if that were possible.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cochran
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
I haven't heard anything in an interview or read anything in an article about the origins of the Gloomhaven setting, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if it were an RPG setting that Isaac developed at some point in the past for his own games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The boardgame tiles and standees could even be used in the RPG.

With hexes, the tiles are an especially good fit for GURPS.

The GURPS Lite download is free. While there's no magic, there's enough to get through combat.

http://www.sjgames.com/gurps/lite/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Montgomery Box
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
I've been contemplating how to build an RPG around the game. Deciding on the core mechanic has been a stickling point, since I'd want to keep the combat mechanic the same (it's too good). Maybe something with a hand of cards you use for everything on the RPG side as well?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Artur Biesiadowski
msg tools
I think that D&D 4e is closest thing. While a lot of people hate 4e for being too board-gamy, it is really close to GH, with bit more complication added in. But for me, key factors of similarity are:
- every class has similar amount of flashy/special moves (without normal distinction of repeatable-boring melee, versus limited-use and flashy spellcasting)
- special move/attack limits around scenario/encounter limits (encounter/daily powers in 4e)
- resource management around in-scenario rests (healing surges and short rests in 4e)
- every class being fully valid in combat (no need to sacrifice combat power for role-play related choices - they are distinct from combat power choices)
- combat and powers designed around tactical board situation (pushes, shifts, pulls, exact on-board area attacks allowing perfect tactical positioning, etc)
- powers slowly gained on almost every level, with time replacing lower level powers
- powers/attacks on cards, allowing similar management of what to use
- 10+ standard effects (slow,stun,prone,restrained,dazed etc) which you apply from powers

Obviously, there is also a lot of differences (separate to-hit versus damage resolution, squares versus hexes, random rolls for everything, considerably more sophisticated enemies and obviously that DM guy on the other side), even not taking the role-playing part into equation. But you can role-play with any system (talking about old-school gamist stuff, let's not get into narrativist area), while combat heavy, board-based game (which I suppose you are interested in when talking about GH rpg) is made or broken by rules.

So, my suggestion is go for D&D 4e, change color for GH (completely custom races, for classes I would suggest just recoloring existing ones, otherwise balancing will be too hard, same for monsters - change color, reuse abilities). If you really want to go for hexes, I think it would almost work out of the box (small balance change, as area attacks would be smaller, but should be manageable).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Stiles
United States
Brandon
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
abies wrote:
I think that D&D 4e is closest thing. While a lot of people hate 4e for being too board-gamy, it is really close to GH, with bit more complication added in.

I think your RPG experience is limited then. As a former playtester for D&D, former staff for ShadowRun Missions, and RPGA member, I disagree. D&D 4E's biggest flaw was combat was a chore. Also, the cards in GH is one of the biggest pluses, and moving this to a random dice game removes this. It needs to go to a diceless game.

Also, making a board game and making a RPG are two different skill sets, let's be happy for what we have and not get something to ruin the brand name.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
calpurnio pison

rafelbunyol
valencia
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
obviously each person has his preferences about rpgs. in fact, i would like something more narrative, as dungeon world, because i like to explore the non-combat stuff in gloomhaven. and even in a combat scenario, i like it runs quickly and smoothly.

for combat, we have the boardgame. (we left d&d 4th edition behind with the phrase "we have descent if we want to play this way").

anyway, i would like to see a official gloomhaven rpg. even if it was like d&d 4th edition, probably i would purchase (and may be adapt to dungeon world whistle )

but in this direction, another post asked for a gloomhaven encyclopedy what would be very precious for this matter:

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1773738/gloomhaven-digi...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.