9 Posts

Warhammer Quest: Silver Tower» Forums » General

Subject: Ever done a 5 player game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex K
msg tools
mb
That's the question have you ever played with 5 heroes/players, is it doable?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iceeagle85 wrote:
That's the question have you ever played with 5 heroes/players, is it doable?

The game isn't balanced for 5 heroes.

There are scenarios that you can have a "companion character" that joins the party. However they are 'momentary' as they vanish after a respite or an unexpected event occurs.

If you have 5 players, you _could_ have the 5th player manage the adversaries. (As a quasi-game master, and use the adversary handling from Shadows Over Hammerhal.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex K
msg tools
mb
I thought that it wouldn't be balanced and sadly I do not own Hammerhal yet.
Would you say it would be really to easy with 5 guys? I don't get to paly it that often and soon I will have some friends over to celebrate my birthday and we will at least 4 maybe 5 people, so I thought I'll ask if anyone has treid it or knows a way to do it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
One challenge that you would have on some of the encounter tables is that you will be short on adversary models if all you have is the base set.

For example, If you can't place all of the model required by the encounter table because you don't have enough adversary models the 'Limited Adversary' rules (p.23) say that an 'Unexpected Event' occurs.

You'd likely end up with a bunch of Unexpected Events. (Based off of rules as written.)

If you don't want to have someone rolling for the adversaries (in your group of 5) and everyone needs to play a hero, then consider increasing the vigour by 2 (or 3) for all enemies.

At the end of the day, it is definitely 'doable'. Not optimal, and sacrifices will have to be made ... but the objective is to have fun! It's your party, have fun. cool

For quick reference on the 'Managing Adversaries in Hammerhal' as mentioned by RedMonkeyBoy:
RedMonkeyBoy wrote:
In Hammerhal, the GM rolls the dice and consults the behaviour table. He or she than has two choices:

1. Perform the behaviour as written for all adversaries in that group, following all the rules as written.
2. Ignore the dice roll, and instead make a move action and an attack action with each adversary in the group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex K
msg tools
mb
Considering tzeentchian enemies I only have the base set, but I played WHF so I hae Orks/Goblins and Undead I could suse to proxy enemies.

I really like the vigor increasing idea.
And thanks for explaining the rule from Hammerhal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
unikat deset
msg tools
mbmbmb
If you don't have a problem with using proxy models great^^
Me and my friends are using proxy models atm, because I'm slowly painting and I don't like to glue models before painting, makes it harder to do details for some/most of them.

Well... if you're doing Vigor increasement, I'd suggest dividing enemies into categories and raising step by step per category, rather than giving all a set value (makes more sense imo).

So for example,
Category 1 gets +1 on Vigor
Grot Scuttlings
Brimstone Horrors
Category 2 gets +2 on Vigor
Blue Horror
Kairic Acolytes
Category 3 gets +3 on Vigor
Pink Horror
Kairic Adept (even tho he's Acolyte)
Tzaangors
Category 4 gets +4 on Vigor
Skaven Deathrunner
Ogroid Thaumaturge
Gaunt Summoner

Other things to consider:
You may want to consider introduction of save rolls for enemies (6 saves, they don't take a damage), 5+ (for models with Shields only). You may want to remove some broken heroes (like Mistweaver, or at least change her stun to 4+ to hit, rather than 3+).

However playtest it by yourself controlling all 5 characters. (or with a friend whatever...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex K
msg tools
mb
I have no problem with proxying and not playing a filthy backstabbing elf

As i have some more heroes would you say they are on a normal power level:
Necromancer, Wight King, Grot Shaman, Unforged, Nomad Prince (yes an elf but I painted him for a competition ) and I have ordered the Kharadron Overlord Arkanaut Admiral and the newest White Dwarf which has rules for the Kharadron Overlords.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James M Hewitt
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing to note is that if you play with 5, there's a lot of downtime. There's already a fair bit in a four-hero game, but with 5 I think it crosses the line into *too* much. Up to you if you want to try it, though! Remember you'll also need extra dice and extra renown markers, as well as extra adversaries.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex K
msg tools
mb
Didn't think about the downtime, but having quite some boardgames and miniature wargames dice are not a problem and I will surely find something to use for a renown marker.

I forgot I also have the Gorechosen boardgame and the Slaughtepriest from the White Dwarf to use and I have some Khorne dice, so I could use a Khorne mini with fitting dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.