Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: Non-Action Function Resolutions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Krista Drummond
United States
Montana
flag msg tools
Hi! My friends and I just played this game for the first time, and we ended up having an argument about an unclear rule. Player A thinks that your hero's turn ends as soon as your second Action resolves. Player B thinks that if you are able to do something that doesn't require an Action you may do this after your second Action resolves, and before your turn is over.

For Example: A hero playing Syndrael wants to perform this order of tasks on her turn:
Action 1: Move
Action 2: Attack
Heroic Feat (to move away)

Is this legal or not?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Steinbach
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A player's turn is over when the player declares that it is over. You can certainly use items or abilities that do not cost an action after you have spent two actions. Your example turn is therefore completely legal. He could also use fatigue tokens to move 4 additional spaces (does not cost an action), then use a stamina potion to regain full stamina in order to spend 4 fatigue tokens to move an additional 4 spaces. Effectively moving 12 more spaces that do not cost an action all before his turn would end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calvin Tang
United States
Santa Cruz
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Vardaine. A player's turn is not over until s/he performs step 4 - Flip Activation Card (P7 in the rule). And Syndrael's ability says "Use during your turn to choose a hero within..." Since the player's turn is not yet over even after performing 2 actions, the description of the Heroic Feat allows him/her to play the feat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll lend my voice of agreement here. A turn progresses to the next step only when the previous step is complete. This happens only when a player has run out of things he can/wishes to do, or when it is forced by an effect (such as being defeated).

Another good example of this is the process of an attack- the "roll dice step" doesn't end just because both plagers have rolled- it ends after both payers have decided they won't be using any more "after tolling dice" abilities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Corley

Utah
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kal91a wrote:
I agree with Vardaine.

Me, too. I have been playing with Ashrian as a disciple lately and I generally have her take two actions and then perform a prayer of healing before moving on. I could do the prayer of healing at anytime during her turn, but I prefer to see whether or not she has fatigue left over first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Martin
United States
Ellicott City
MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules are pretty clear: Your turn ends when you say it does.

Besides, the game would be pretty broken if you couldn't execute non-action maneuvers after your two actions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.