United States
Highland
UT
flag msg tools
To play is human; to win, divine.
badge
There is no shame in losing, if you remain unafraid to play again. -Losers
mbmbmbmbmb
In Terraforming Mars you can build cards that allow you and only you to take actions with those cards. I feel like I've played other games that do this, but can't think of them.

Caylus and Waterdeep allow you to build publicly available buildings and grant the builder a reward when other people use them.

In Le Havre and Harbour you build your own tableau of buildings, but others can use them.

In Keyflower you build your village, but others can use your spaces (but you keep the meeples).

I'm calling on the collective wisdom hive mind of the Geek to help me out.

Oh wait - Spyrium? That has private action spaces, right? Any others?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Noel
United States
Fairmont
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Manhattan Project and Manhattan Project: Energy Empire have this (though in the former, opponents can use your buildings via espionage).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Lam I Am
United States
Highland
UT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jeff0 wrote:
Manhattan Project and Manhattan Project: Energy Empire have this (though in the former, opponents can use your buildings via espionage).

Hmm, nice. Manhattan Project is on my "Own, but haven't played yet" list.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brodie
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A couple off the top of my head...

Bruges
Belfort
Hyperborea
Imperial Settlers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Hahn
United States
Medina
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cuba

Belfort

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simona Dostalova
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
51st State: Master Set
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian McCarty
United States
La Crescent
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can have your own private buildings in Orléans
Your engineers are private in Russian Railroads (one engineer in the DSP expansion allows you to use someone else's engineer)

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Cohn
United States
Racine
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Love how you scratched out "collective wisdom", that's good stuff.

Let's see, you are correct on Spyrium.

La Granja does this through cards that work in different ways, and the cards here are all unique, as with Tm, but we're talking 60 cards vs. 300+.

Unless I am really mis-remembering quite a bit, both Agricola and Caverna have this, the user puts into play a card/building and only that player can make use of that?

Empires: Age of Discovery (tiles as buildings, all unique), Kemet (power tiles), Orleans (tiles as buildings, all unique), Glen More/Lunarchitects (tiles), Oh My Goods, Puerto Rico, Race for the Galaxy (cards as planets), Through the Ages (original or new, cards as buildings/utilities),

Above and Below, Belfort and Colony (cards as buildings) all also have this, but to a bit of a lesser degree (IMO), as very many of the buildings are similar and/or duplicated and often available to all players over the course of the game.

So not a terribly extensive list, but I have not personally played some of the truly great ones out there, so others may have a ton more suggestions.

Hope it helps!
~Steve

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david landes
United States
oak hill
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Orleans (awesome game)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Chen
Taiwan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Terra Mystica.

The Factory in Scythe.

Do the rooms in Dungeon Lords count? They are activated by imps though, not the "workers."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Casey
msg tools
mbmbmb
I can tell by the way you call them action spaces that you seem to have a worker placement background. In those sorts of games, you're looking to achieve the most with same access to actions as everyone else. Private actions do seem more rare in those sorts of games.

Teraforming mars is much more of a tableau building game. You're trying make your private area do more than everyone else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Moser
United States
Escondido
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fields of Arle

Glass Road

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Burt
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmb
Quote:
I can tell by the way you call them action spaces that you seem to have a worker placement background.

Well, the cards DO say "Action:..." on them.

Great Western Trail has a mechanism like this: you place the building on the public board, but only you can take the action on the building. I actually dislike this mechanism in that game - wish all players could use anyone's building, after paying a fee or something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Lam I Am
United States
Highland
UT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the responses. Games that were obvious to me after y'all mentioned them:

Belfort
Russian Railroads
Orleans
Terra Mystica

Haven't played a lot of the others.

Totally agree that Terraforming Mars is tableau building. I guess it isn't worker placement, but your cards are making actions available to yourself and not to others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Nabedian
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
All out of bubblegum
mbmbmbmbmb
Tuscany adds private structures (worker locations) to Viticulture.

Champions of Midgard lets you buy a boat as a location which is the same action, but cheaper cost than the standard boat locations.

Mombasa rewards the leaders of the various tracks with bonus action spaces.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiago Soares
Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Scythe, with the factory cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Aigner
Austria
Wien
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Colonists ... some cards you build grant ressources, some extension of your stockpiles and some actions for you to use
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Scothern
United Kingdom
Glasgow
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anachrony! - much of the game has you building your own 'action' buildings onto your player board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Guthier
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmb
Stone Age - the expansion has huts with private action spaces for better costs for resources.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Barth
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmb
Great Western Trail

Lets your build personal buildings along a trail. Only the player that owns them can use them. Sometimes requires other players to pay the owner if they pass through
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Borg
Sweden
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anachrony - You build buildings on your player board that only you can use.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Wolfpacker
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Terra Mystica doesn't quite check off the box. Yes there are asymmetric factions that have their own private faction actions sort of like the corporations. However, the faction actions are fixed for the faction and no other faction can potentially use them. Perhaps, if you were to look at the Favors in Terra Mystica, you could say that, but since a faction generally only gets 2-3 in the game (with the exception of a couple of factions) and that each favor is available to at least 3 factions (with the exception of the 3 step favor, which is usually last round only) it doesn't quite fit the bill.

The most similar games I can think of are just about any collectible card game.

Rivals for Catan (non-tournament style) does take from a common group of cards to play. Other deck building games like Mystic Vale might also fit the bill better, but it's been awhile since I've played it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Coker
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
This is my tank for Combat Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
Already mentioned, but worth mentioning again since it is such a key element of Anachrony
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.