Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Shaffer
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From several posts on the 18xx YahooGroup.

But the vor-SBB railways can be opened at lower values without much harm, and (since price-performance is the key early on) they often are opened low. One player routinely opens any and all of them at 60, reasoning that he can sort out any problems later. Even on a more cautious basis, JS or NOB at 90, and VSB at 60 or 70, gives enough to build high-paying track and buy a 3 or 3H later once the destination has been made. GB's a tricky one, with too many possible options to be dogmatic about what price it should be, and SCB tends to run out of cash if it pars at under 100.

GB:
If the GB president has the tunnel private then the tunnel can be laid immediately, giving GB its escrow. It can float at 60, pay for the tunnel (100), gets its escrow, and buy two 2H trains for 140. Of course if you want to pay for other track laying then you need to float at 70, or even 80.

NOB:
The NOB doesn't need lots of cash either since it can destinate quickly. If it floats low it will not pay as much because it will have less or smaller trains, but the early return on investment is not dissimilar, and you still get the same amount of SBB later on. Still, perhaps we are not
placing enough value on the cash adjustment that occurs when SBB forms....?

VB:
I agree with your point on VB. 80 is sufficient if you plan on buying a 2, destinating and then buying a 3.... 70 if you can live with a 2H at the beginning. Or don't plan on destinating or running off-board, and simply stick with two 2H trains for 140.....

JS
Needs 80 to get to the money, and 90 to also destinate. 90 is better.

SCB
needs money if you are going to put two 2s or 2Hs in it. ...

Bruce says: I would argue that the EVA is bad in a 5 or 6 player game but good in a 3 or 4 (because it represents a smaller amount of your total $)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Allard
United States
Dover
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mb
Thank you for the write-up.

I just played 1844 at Chatt this year and immediately bought the reprint. I like it.

I think it is a 'building good RRs' game and not a stock manipulation game.

JimA
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
In my experience (1 game), it's a "try not to get hosed by Jeroen" game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Allard
United States
Dover
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mb
Eric Brosius wrote:

I'm familiar with something similar with regards to 18Ireland - and that is if Pete Eldridge says 'you are doing very well' and then adds 'are you done with your turn'; you are dead meat!

JimA

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
JimA759 wrote:
I'm familiar with something similar with regards to 18Ireland - and that is if Pete Eldridge says 'you are doing very well' and then adds 'are you done with your turn'; you are dead meat!

I've played with Peter also. He is both a great sportsman and a terrific player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeroen Doumen
Netherlands
Eindhoven
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Click to see this player's page
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eric Brosius wrote:

That was mainly luck from the initial auction I guess...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jmdsplotter wrote:
That was mainly luck from the initial auction I guess...

Not only that. You played better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.