Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Wilson St.James
Canada
Winona
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
I've only played a few times, but I finally took my first win over the weekend.
The Titan Trap played a huge role.
Obviously it's easier to win with it, but how much success have you had without it?
For those familiar, I don't want it to play like Gandalf in The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"What do you mean, I can't pay in Meeples?"
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
I wouldn't say Titan Trap is a win requirement, no.

It's a good card, expensive but definitely helpful if you can get it early enough. Only delays the inevitable though and won't help you actually kill Arch-Titans if your decks don't have enough Power.

Key cards I'm always looking to get regardless Hero would be as follows. Note that I tend to play 2-3 Hero games so your results may vary with other player counts.

Food - not super early, but Wound management is really important. Hospital isn't a bad pick either though a bit less flexible.
Long Distance Scouting Formation - because knowing what's coming next is amazingly good - you can position for Ambushes and push back Arch-Titans. Probably my favourite card.
Fuel Canisters - instant 4 Power + 4 Move spread over two Heroes is above the curve for a 4 cost card, and during slow turns you can cycle those 3DMG's into your deck instead for a permanent boost.
Ian / Pixis - Same as Fuel Canisters, cards directly into your hand is powerful since they can be spent immediately.
Pay Tribute - Deck thinning and a decent +3 Power, if you can get it early on, very helpful. Good for 'glass cannons' - Heroes with high Power, small decks and who avoid taking Wounds if possible.
Surprise Attack, Kill Shot, Cannon, Swords - All generally good, high Power producing cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grarrrg Grarrrgowski
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
theclergy wrote:
I've only played a few times, but I finally took my first win over the weekend.
The Titan Trap played a huge role.
Obviously it's easier to win with it, but how much success have you had without it?

I've probably won without it more than with. Or at least it didn't show up early enough to meaningfully contribute.

I find it helpful to designate some players as "attack" and some as "support".
"Attack" focus on getting a high +Power deck and killing things.
"Support" get the more utility +Move cards.
If you only have 2 players, they both need to be fairly 'attack', but having one more focused and the other a bit balanced can still help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Pogatshnik
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmb
Titan Trap is a good card, but I don't think it's any better than Kill shot or Pixis. I've won plenty of games without it.

I guess I don't share Fire_Forever's enthusiasm for Long Distance Scouting Formation, I rarely get it. My favorite cards are probably:

(For anyone) Kill Shot, Pixis, Pay Tribute, Petra, Hospital, Escape.

Hange: Titan Trap
Conny: Fuel Canisters
Mikasa: Swing Away or Cloak
Erwin/Sahsa/Armin: Horse or Escape
Eren: Hospital
Levi: Resupply or Escape

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"What do you mean, I can't pay in Meeples?"
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
I'm really surprised to see Petra listed in your favourites! I've tried to make use of her on several occasions but it never seems to work out in my favour - maybe because I'm not getting the card into play early enough? Or maybe due to a small number of Heroes? *ponders*

I will say LDSF is far less useful at higher player counts. The number of cards that comes out scales but its effect does not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Pogatshnik
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmb
hm, well I've only ever played the game 2 player.

Petra? I think she's great. She's definitely the fastest way to trash Courage -although you have to get rid of it from your hand instead of just your discard pile-, and if things work out right you can get another player to discard a wound. She can make your decks very efficient, very fast.

Although, yes, it's best to get her early-ish. Not *too* early because you need to build your power at the beginning of the game and Petra doesn't really help that, but early-midgame is about the best time to get her. Maybe right before, or right after you defeat the first Archtitan.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.