Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt F
United States
Newcastle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would really like to play Finca, but it's obviously out of print and very expensive on eBay.

I've never made a print-and-play game, but wouldn't Finca be pretty easy to make at home?

The fruit could be replaced by regular cubes, and all other components seem like they would be simple to redesign and print.

Since I'm unexperienced at this, is there anything I'm missing that would make it more difficult than expected?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Birder
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't think of anything that would make it difficult. Like you said, you just need fruit (and farmers and fincas).

Post your pictures once you get it ready! Sounds cool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Morton
United States
Brackenridge
PA
flag msg tools
[Daytrip Gaming]
mbmbmbmbmb
The board is acceptable, but you need a good high-res pic. The "weathervanes" are removable so either turn them into triangles or rectangles for each cutting.

You want good bleed-resistant, sturdy cardstock paper. Likely 100lb+.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murr Rockstroh
United States
Fleming Island
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Any chance you'll be coming to Dice Tower Con this year? I could bring my copy and be glad to play it with you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kharasho Khariosa
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's also playable online at Yucate.de or you can buy the fruit and finca components from MeepleSource for $29. Might look a little strange having a diy board and premium components though. :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt F
United States
Newcastle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Murr wrote:
Any chance you'll be coming to Dice Tower Con this year? I could bring my copy and be glad to play it with you.

Unfortunately not (though I'd love to), but thanks for the offer!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt F
United States
Newcastle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kharasho wrote:
It's also playable online at Yucate.de or you can buy the fruit and finca components from MeepleSource for $29. Might look a little strange having a diy board and premium components though. :-)

I did just notice it was on Yucata, so I'll try that as well.

I was also thinking that I'm quite good with Sculpey, so I could probably make some even better fruit than the actual game comes with... though THEN I'd have to REALLY put in some work on the board, like you said!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's actually not a bad idea- I've been on the lookout for Finca for a while myself (and have played on Yucata). Maybe someday I'll print my own copy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Palau Life
msg tools
You all could use the board from the fantastic Mallorca Express, which uses a high-res satellite image of Mallorca. you may need to tweak it a little. I'd also sink the $25 into the Polymer fruit pieces from Etsy, which are not only a joy to play with and fun to handle, but they also look great on the table. You could also spend the money and buy the rest of the Finca upgrade kit she has for sale (with the meeples and the Finca pieces), but we just use the fruit pieces.

Enjoy everyone, this is my favorite game. We have started a fan re-theme for the Big Island of Hawai'i, where we have a home and where we grow some really interesting fruit and veg (White pineapple, custard bananas, purple potatoes, Red hairy Rambutan, breadfruit, Longan nuts, local Tea leaves, Polynesian Vanilla, etc). We are making the pieces right now and finishing up the board, which is taken from an open-source high-res satellite picture of our island. Everything will be the same, except instead of donkeycarts, we are just using handcarts, since the only major quadrupeds we have on this island are some wild boar, pig and cattle, but none of those were historically used to deliver. We also are making the colors a bit more bright and distinguished from the water background. We have played with adding a fishing expansion, and have a few solid ideas of where that could go. Eh, I've rambled so much, my apologies!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt F
United States
Newcastle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rugbydave wrote:
You all could use the board from the fantastic Mallorca Express, which uses a high-res satellite image of Mallorca. you may need to tweak it a little. I'd also sink the $25 into the Polymer fruit pieces from Etsy, which are not only a joy to play with and fun to handle, but they also look great on the table. You could also spend the money and buy the rest of the Finca upgrade kit she has for sale (with the meeples and the Finca pieces), but we just use the fruit pieces.

Thanks for the tips - and the enthusiasm! Your new version of the game sounds wonderful as well.

I actually baked up some orange and lemon Sculpey pieces of my own last night, which I'm very happy with.

Instead of trying to make them look like 3D fruit (as that Etsy user does) I decided to design mine more like "fruit meeples," as I was a little worried round pieces would roll too much.

I'll post some pics once I get the other four fruit types done (the figs are looking nice as well, just haven't baked them yet...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Palau Life
msg tools
Glad you're on your way!

For what it's worth, the woman who does the Etsy pieces makes them so they can all fit onto the tiles without rolling. They're quite amazing - the almonds have little longitudinal stripes, the oranges have little pits in the skin, etc. She's a fan of the game and made functional pieces that are aesthetically pleasing and have a beautiful heft to them. I can't speak highly enough about the detail. She matches the color and iconography perfectly! She also makes amazing Date, Salt, Pepper and Water pieces for Targi and the expansion. The Salt crystals are seriously amazing!

Let me know if you need anything else. We do our own polymer pieces as well - we are starting a Tuscan Honey expansion to Viticulture as soon as we're done with the Finca re-theme! It's so fun and really amazing to do. We recently did a full set of Cinque Terre pieces in polymer/sculpey:

As well, you can get as detailed as you want; for instance, look at the detail you can get on pieces like this (note the flaky garlic skin in the Large picture):

Don't be afraid to get creative. We got crazy and got down to the tomato seed detail level for our Cinque Terre polymer pieces (check out the large picture):

Pretty beautiful to look at, and fun to play with! Touch base if you have any questions!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt F
United States
Newcastle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Woah, those are really nice!

Mine are... simpler, haha.

Looks like I have some room for improvement!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Palau Life
msg tools
No no, it's whatever works for you!

We just love the detail and enjoy working with our hands, but colored cubes (or anything in between) works perfectly
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J P
China
flag msg tools
It's on taobao for around $12

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rose Rings
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My daughter moved to Australia and wanted to take the family copy of Finca with her. We said "...um no". I have made a cloth covered game board with the artwork and working on the chits now. For the wood parts we are using colored cubes and buildings. Wish I had the mad skillz to make the amazing pieces that others are working on. I will try to take photos and post them after I ship her the game - don't want her to see it before she has a chance to receive it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.