6 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: iPad RPG for traveling rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Josh H
msg tools
Hi all,

I'm looking for an iPad RPG that would have some decent depth to it, while not being overly story driven, as I don't think I'll be able to stay interested in long chains of conversations while being uncomfortable. Games like Baldur's Gate EE/Icewind Dale EE are examples of games I just can't get into while traveling for that reason.

By depth, I mean persistence to the progress achieved by gaining items or abilities, keeping those as you progress through more challenging content, and some replay value through randomization/decision mechanics.

As I'll be traveling with my wife, bonus points for a game that would support some kind of local 'pass and play' mechanic so we can both be involved if she wants to be (though she typically is able to sleep through the flight).

I've found that some of the newer board games have the layout that I'm looking for (strategic depth, persistent advancement, not too much world/story development), which is why I'm posting in the BoardGameGeeks sub forum. I've looked at games like Pathfinder Adventures, Card Crawl, Sorcery 2, and Dream Quest, and believe those will do a fairly good job of filling what I'm looking for, but I want to see if there are other gems that I may not have been able to find.

Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Johns
England
North Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Check out Warhammer Quest IOS app. Not really story driven (a couple of paragraphs every 10 mins) and pass and play (each control a character). Lots of leveling up and cool items etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Fish
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Heroes of Might and Magic III

More of a turn based 4x empire builder, but awesome and may fill your hole.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francisco Gutierrez
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
badge
"A pilot's greatest virtue is to know when to run" -- "What's this, a joke?"
mbmbmbmbmb
I recommend Sorcery, very good series of games

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Young
United States
Ogden
UT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
joetaco wrote:
I recommend Sorcery, very good series of games

I agree that those are fun. But they seem like the polar opposite of what the OP is asking for when he says "while not being overly story driven".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh H
msg tools
I appreciate the recommendations and will take a look at those. I just purchased Pathfinder Adventures, Card Crawl, Card Thief, and Pandemic. All of which look to be good fun and should pass some time. I wish Mage Knight had some kind of iOS game, I think it could make a potentially awesome conversion to digital.

If there are any other recommendations, I'd be happy to take a look.

Thanks again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.