Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
30 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Gloomhaven» Forums » General

Subject: A first...the reason I cannot in good conscience support this game on Kickstarter rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul

Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Flat out....the game it just too damn good. I have watched about 6-7 play-sessions and it is everything I could ever want in a game. If this was the first game I ever purchased, I could not rush to commit to buy fast enough.

However, I just don't see any way I can get it to the table enough and it will drive me crazy seeing it sitting there...taunting me...teasing me...distracting me from other games, other life endeavors, etc.

I congratulate Issac on a fine accomplishment and it pains me to let this one go, but it will do nothing but torment me if I purchase it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Leo
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmb
It plays amazing solo ;D
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul

Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
quasistellar wrote:
It plays amazing solo ;D

You aren't helping.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bruns
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sleep is overrated. Solo is great!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Lewis
United States
West Lafayette
IN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Even Tom Vasel played it solo.

Join us join us join us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
Manteca
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am sort of in the same boat. The game looks amazing and like a ton of fun. The problem is that KDM is supposed to be coming around the same time that Gloomhaven will be delivered. I Know KDM could be very late but the first shipment is basically just a reprint of the base game, so I think it is a small risk and better than the alternative....2 great games that demand a ton of time, both arriving at the same time, leaving one to collect dust for a very long while. I look forward to getting GH down the road at retail or worst case, after its inevitable 3rd printing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Lunches
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, you're right. You'll never get to play it. You will totally hate seeing it there. Only one thing could be worse... Not seeing it there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manderson
Canada
flag msg tools
No BS, this game is a pain in the ass to set up. I have two kids, so I can only start setting up after kids asleep, all clean in the house, 830pm if I'm lucky, play till 11:30, where I need another half hour to take down before I'm in bed, wishing I had gone to bed earlier.

And I have all tye planos/ counter holders/organizers, it's still a lot of work. I love this game, and continue to pkay it, but holy crow is it ever a lot of overhead work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul

Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the_av8r wrote:
No BS, this game is a pain in the ass to set up. I have two kids, so I can only start setting up after kids asleep, all clean in the house, 830pm if I'm lucky, play till 11:30, where I need another half hour to take down before I'm in bed, wishing I had gone to bed earlier.

And I have all tye planos/ counter holders/organizers, it's still a lot of work. I love this game, and continue to pkay it, but holy crow is it ever a lot of overhead work.

In all seriousness, this is also a big deal for me as I cannot leave a game out (cats/kids/space) over an extended period of time. For instance, I love Heroscape, but I rarely get a chance to play for this very reason. I see the same with Gloomhaven. Like I said, it is just too darn good/deep to fit my current lifestyle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
the_av8r wrote:

I'm in the same boat and finally gave up. Too much work for what it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan A
United States
flag msg tools
I came here to start a new thread, but I'll just pile on here.

With 5 minutes left in the Kickstarters, I've successfully resisted backing this project. It looks great. But I just know I'll never have enough time with a dedicated group of people to ever get the full experience advertised in this game.

I'm not rich, but money isn't really the issue. I have existing games that I don't even come close to getting to the table as much as I would like.

Also, I just backed Kingdom Death for almost $2000 (after extras, sleeves, etc.) and if I wanted to start a multi-session campaign with a group of people, it would probably be that game.

I've been weak in the past when it came to Kickstarters, but I think I dodged this one. Very tempting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul

Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ninja_Bob wrote:
I came here to start a new thread, but I'll just pile on here.

With 5 minutes left in the Kickstarters, I've successfully resisted backing this project. It looks great. But I just know I'll never have enough time with a dedicated group of people to ever get the full experience advertised in this game.

I'm not rich, but money isn't really the issue. I have existing games that I don't even come close to getting to the table as much as I would like.

Also, I just backed Kingdom Death for almost $2000 (after extras, sleeves, etc.) and if I wanted to start a multi-session campaign with a group of people, it would probably be that game.

I've been weak in the past when it came to Kickstarters, but I think I dodged this one. Very tempting.

I have had it open in another browser for the last hour. With two minutes left, I finally closed that other window. A tear may streak down my cheek.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Olin
Finland
Vasa
flag msg tools
badge
Justice for the 96!
mbmbmbmbmb
I have not played any other games since receiving this wow modest
35 scenarios in and I am at the moment thinking how differently I will play when I restart the campaign whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Velox
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't purchase it if you feel you won't get enough play out of it, as it is a hefty price. Only get it when you know for sure you can play it the amount of times you want.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomi Mononen
Finland
Kuopio
Pohjois-Savo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
badgermaniac wrote:
Flat out....the game it just too damn good. I have watched about 6-7 play-sessions and it is everything I could ever want in a game. If this was the first game I ever purchased, I could not rush to commit to buy fast enough.

However, I just don't see any way I can get it to the table enough and it will drive me crazy seeing it sitting there...taunting me...teasing me...distracting me from other games, other life endeavors, etc.

I congratulate Issac on a fine accomplishment and it pains me to let this one go, but it will do nothing but torment me if I purchase it.

YOLO Solo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baker Odom
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Up until late last year I refused to ever Kickstart anything. Now I have both Gloomhaven and KDM on the way to me and they'll likely show up within a few months of each other.

I have a monthly game group that I'll be able to get KDM to the table repeatedly upon it's arrival...but that's monthly.

I THINK The Wife will enjoy GH (and possibly KDM) but her tastes in games is sometimes a crap shoot.

I'll be solo-ing the crap out of both of these games and loving every minute of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich M
United States
Greenwood
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I refuse to buy games that you have to put stickers on that end up diminishing future play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Holmes
Canada
Caledonia
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I always consider the resale value of these things when I am unsure what to do. Buy Gloomhaven and don't wreck any cards until you decide what to do. If you decide to sell it later you can probably get most of your money back, maybe you lose $20 or $30. Chances are you will get a few hours of entertainment out of it anyway. In this case it's not a big deal as their are no exclusives and you can buy it later at retail for a similar price (probably). I look it more like renting games until I decide to part with them. Very few games are ones I'd never trade and are full keepers. Of course I'm not a collector of games. That's different if you are...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Holmes
Canada
Caledonia
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rockin Rocko wrote:
I refuse to buy games that you have to put stickers on that end up diminishing future play.

I am buying the reusable sticker set as I intend to play it with my kids when they grow up or sell it later if I don't enjoy it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BG.EXE
United States
flag msg tools
Favor Euros + Ameritrash, but I like pretty much all games.
badge
Don't forget to have fun!
mbmbmbmbmb
Rockin Rocko wrote:

Your loss. This game would be equally as good without the map. Honestly my only teensy criticism is that the map is useless. It's purely aesthetic and could have been a checklist. Granted I LIKE the map but I'm running on a tangent.

Again, you played yourself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared
United States
Telford
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I'm playing solo, which is a rarity for me and it's quite good. It really does call to you, hence the high ratings for wanting to play. I have a small desk where I can set up the first room and leave it.

As for the tired stickers argument, not everything is meant to be shrink wrapped and pristine. Not sure why you would even comment on a legacy game if you are more of a collector than gamer. Sometimes you pay for some incredible entertainment, savoring nothing but the experience itself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean L
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
fubarbox wrote:
I am sort of in the same boat. The game looks amazing and like a ton of fun. The problem is that KDM is supposed to be coming around the same time that Gloomhaven will be delivered. I Know KDM could be very late but the first shipment is basically just a reprint of the base game, so I think it is a small risk and better than the alternative....2 great games that demand a ton of time, both arriving at the same time, leaving one to collect dust for a very long while. I look forward to getting GH down the road at retail or worst case, after its inevitable 3rd printing.

While they're delivering at the same time, by the time you have assembled (and possibly even painted) KDM you'll have got a fair bit of Gloomhaven in.

That's going to be my approach. Start with Gloomhaven while doing all the hobby stuff for KDM.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wes Holland

North Carolina
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rockin Rocko wrote:

I'm not going to tear up cards...

But I like marking up the map. It feels kinda nice to have a sense of accomplishment when I look at the map and see everywhere I've been... And everywhere I have yet to go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Mayo
United States
Schertz
TX
flag msg tools
Have you paid your dues, Jack?
badge
Yes sir, the check is in the mail.
mbmbmbmbmb
the_av8r wrote:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald Cruz
msg tools
mbmb
Rockin Rocko wrote:

Well yes, if you have other games that are competing for your time and money that give you 100+ hours of gameplay, then sure this would be a deciding factor. But for most games that are "replayable," is it still exciting and refreshing and rich after 100 hours?

"Replayability" is a deceptive criterion, when one "play" of your typical board game is 1-3 hours, while one "play" of Gloomhaven is 100+ hours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.