Geoff Speare
United States
Bedford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
tee hee, that tickles!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I played this for the first time this evening and liked a lot about it - the overall resource/supply mechanism is very clever and felt new, cards were interesting, overall a good experience. However, the game end felt a bit off to us.

Since you know exactly when the game is ending, there was a lot of very game-y calculating out who could do what to end the game and who would be affected. In the end the last place person was in the position of kingmaking and effectively chose the winner without affecting their own score. Additionally, at least one person had little to do in the final two turns due to having less money - anything they tried to do would likely just give someone else the chance to snipe a card and earn points.

Have other people had similar experiences with game end? We thought it might make sense to give everyone a turn after the future hits, but upon reflection we're not sure how much difference that would make. The actual rule seems like an overly calculated way to end the game and not in keeping with the flow of the rest of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Colapietro
United States
Endicott
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We had similar issues - when the 'Future' card is the last card on the draw pile there are 2 possibilities for the wealthiest (in resources) player -

* If when his turn comes no cards are invested, he can invest in the best card for his civ with no chance of it being sniped, thus effectively ending the game there
- or -
* He can simply snipe the best card that is already invested thus ending the game immediately

In either case, the wealthiest player gets one more card and the other players have no chance of gaining a card for their civ - they are forced to invest in the card that helps the wealthiest player the least. It is a very anti-climactic ending to the game and I don't know if we are missing something or if it really is as bad as it seems.

Perhaps you just need to be aware of this reality and play your end game accordingly. I am hoping someone will tell me what I am missing, because I really like the rest of the game...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Speare
United States
Bedford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
tee hee, that tickles!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
The3Furies wrote:

* If when his turn comes no cards are invested, he can invest in the best card for his civ with no chance of it being sniped, thus effectively ending the game there

In this case however, others can deny the card to that player by colluding - one puts up another card for a snipeable amount, another snipes it to cause game end.

Even before the futures card is revealed, if there are enough investments made, players can discuss how/when to bring about game end. This is what happened in my game (after long discussion).

Quote:
I am hoping someone will tell me what I am missing, because I really like the rest of the game...

I feel like the ideal ending would involve some sort of return both for invested cards and resources remaining, thus encouraging people to play more or less the same way as the rest of the game. For example, VPs for 1st/2nd/3rd in resources remaining and/or amount invested at game end. Or perhaps the game snipes everyone invested at game end, then give VPs for resources left. (Gee, game design is hard. )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jari Kemppainen
Finland
Kuopio
flag msg tools
badge
The state flag of Finland from January to May 1918
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, definitely resources left should be awarded somehow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.