Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
RIK FONTANA
United States
St. George
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Watched the Rahdo review, which used Meeples. Then took a look at the artwork and figures designed for the final product.

I was mildly intrigued with the game itself, but after seeing the pix of the female heros, have decided to draw a line in the sand. This will be a No. Now I'm a red-blooded guy who appreciates a fine female figure, but this Barbi-doll-as-Fighter trend is getting ridiculous. Figurines fashioned to look like women who'd likely be more comfortable onstage working a stripper's pole than leading a Barbarian clan just seems pandering. It's a lame attempt at social equality that looks like nothing more than a chance for the designers to scream 'see, the girls can be badass too... see how fair and 21st Century hip we are???' while really knowing it's just exploitive, thoroughly unrealistic and actually should be offensive to the average woman of common sense.

But hey, I imagine it will help them sell games. And that's what matters. Maybe I'm just feeling cynical this evening. Or more likely, I'm just getting tired of pretending that equality means scantily clad female 'warriors' in idiotic positions........
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
They don't bother me at all. I think all the minis look really good.

But I have to say the irony of your avatar!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
Netherlands
Utrecht
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What does equality have to do with a fantasy board game? Men and women are not equal, and with good reason.

The theme of the game is about barbarians. It's great to have variety in the miniatures, and a good way to do that is to add some female barbarians. Like their male counterparts, they are made to look unrealistically, with over the top physical features. A female barbarian with short hair, wearing an overall would certainly raise more eyebrows.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario Engel
Germany
Cham
flag msg tools
Oh boy! Here we go again...
Can you please explain to me what the problem is? I really don't get it.
It is a board game set in a fantasy setting using aesthetics used in this genre for ages. This might not be very unique or innovative but it defines the genre and sets the atmosphere. These outfits might not be very practical in battle, but so isn't the loincloth of their male counterparts. It is just a fictional universe meant to be fun. The badass female warriors look like strippers? And? The male barbarians do too. Isn't that even part of the fun. It is a exaggerated fictional world, often with dragons and other imaginary races, muscular dudes with long hair and giant swords, old mages with long white beards and busty amazons with tiny body armor.
Females can be powerful whatever they are wearing and what their measurements are! You complain that the females don't look like real women in this game and they shouldn't they are fricking Barbarians! By the way you know that it is irritating that you complain about an unrealistic look and prefer Meeples. "Real people don't look like Meeples! Put an end to the meeplefication of people now!" Just treat these figures the same. They are cool looking game components not real people.
By the way my girlfriend is looking forward to playing one of those half naked busty forest champions.
There are so many problems in the real world, the look of game figures should not be one of them. Just relax, smile and enjoy the game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven R
United States
Scottsdale
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Figurines fashioned to look like women who'd likely be more comfortable onstage working a stripper's pole than leading a Barbarian clan just seems pandering. It's a lame attempt at social equality that looks like nothing more than a chance for the designers to scream 'see, the girls can be badass too... see how fair and 21st Century hip we are???' while really knowing it's just exploitive, thoroughly unrealistic and actually should be offensive to the average woman of common sense.

[/q]

I'm sure Alex and the Droogs are pro 21st century feminism. Maybe film and board games represent different things to different people.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Andersson
Sweden
BANDHAGEN
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why not just get the meeple variant if you don't like the minis? (I love them btw.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn Fink
Germany
Münster
Nordrhein-Westfalen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Quote:
I'm sure Alex and the Droogs are pro 21st century feminism. Maybe film and board games represent different things to different people.

Wow you sir are someone who really does not get the intention of a book like clockwork orange at all do you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn Fink
Germany
Münster
Nordrhein-Westfalen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ninjaru wrote:

There are so many problems in the real world, the look of game figures should not be one of them. Just relax, smile and enjoy the game

Its the same discussion over and over again and i can live with this stupid fantasy stuff...BUT yes there are many problems in the "real" world but why oh why not change behavior and things in the small first...why not take a stand against objectification in your everyday life? You can always say:

Just relax, smile and enjoy the game
Just relax, smile and enjoy the sexist advertisement
Just relax, smile and enjoy your shirt from kid labour
Just relax, smile and enjoy that boy shirts have "hero" printed on and girl shirts "kiss" or "cute"...

If you want to change something and tackle the "real" problems in this world begin in your everyday life. Why not make a fantasy game with cool women and cool guys that does not look like...i mean why the f... not?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Goodridge
United States
Windsor Locks
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Currently at 1:2 ratio, getting better every week
badge
I don't want it, I don't need it, but I can't stop myself. - Stabbing Westward
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are intrigued with the game itself, there is a wooden only set which includes meeples for the workers, as mentioned above. Unless, your awareness of the other side breaks the illusion for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach Horn
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The minis look great, it's the card illustrations that are making me hesitate. They seem too photoshopped or something, can't put my finger on it. soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, I agree with Darrell, if you don't like the minis then get the wood token version. For those of us that do like the minis, then we can get that version.

Pretty cool that the game gives you an option like that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neon Blue
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Didn't pay attention to the minis and was thinking of backing at the wood level... After reading your post and examining the minis, I'll go for the full Iron & Blood edition. Wonderful miniatures!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Okay, everyone is allowed to his own opinion, but I don't get all these "the women look like strippers" (or even worse) comments.
Somehow they are only concerned about the women, no matter how the men look.

Concerning Barbarians? How would you depict Barbarian warriors? With a long dress and maybe a cup of tea? Looking at primitive tribes even today, women are quite often wearing no bra at all, so maybe a more "realistic" aproach would have been to have them bare breasted?

I love the minis and backed the game because of them (well, and I hope the game is as good as Rahdo made it look).

In the end, I can accept your opinion, but please accept my opinion as well. If you don't like the minis, back for the meeple version or walk away. There are so many awesome games and so many German ones are good and boring looking (to my eyes), I am sure there is a good game for you to enjoy the viszals as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Andersson
Sweden
BANDHAGEN
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't forget that (some) Germanians, Picts and Vikings were known to fight nude. They also had female warriors. I wonder what would happen if they gave us that faction!

I'm also surprised that it's "always" men who raise this issue. Female gamers seems to be OK with scantily clad women. (Based on kickstarter comments.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario Engel
Germany
Cham
flag msg tools
xbjoernx wrote:
ninjaru wrote:

Its the same discussion over and over again and i can live with this stupid fantasy stuff...BUT yes there are many problems in the "real" world but why oh why not change behavior and things in the small first...why not take a stand against objectification in your everyday life? You can always say:

Just relax, smile and enjoy the game
Just relax, smile and enjoy the sexist advertisement
Just relax, smile and enjoy your shirt from kid labour
Just relax, smile and enjoy that boy shirts have "hero" printed on and girl shirts "kiss" or "cute"...

If you want to change something and tackle the "real" problems in this world begin in your everyday life. Why not make a fantasy game with cool women and cool guys that does not look like...i mean why the f... not?

That is exactly what I meant with "I don't get the problem". And I still don't!

I get what the problem with child labour is, there is someone who suffers under this circumstances, therefore something should be done against it.

But I don't get who has any disadvantage from busty game figures. Maybe you can enlighten me and I might even join you on your crusade. But right now I just don't get what the issue is. I don't know any female boardgamers who have a problem with these figures, so why do you? You mention objectification, but how exactely does this game objectify women or men?

I value your opinion and I'm all for the fight against injustice, even in little things. But I'm also against being upset just for the sake of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael B

Ballwin
Missouri
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The men range from stocky to muscular, the women lithe and muscular. Are either of them the most accurate representation of barbarian culture as a whole? Probably not.

I do think if we look at women and men who are professional athletes today (swimmers, gymnasts, mma fighters) then maybe we see that the model forms depicted are not that crazy. Are the men a little more muscular? Perhaps. Are the women a little more voluptuous? Possibly. But the idea is that, in a constantly warring society they might just be that muscular.

The card artwork is awesome. I really like how Ivan Cavini puts a little aura around each of the characters to set them apart. I also think his ability to illustrate fire is great. If you look at Warchief Kormas' card the ring of fire almost is ready to writhe and dance.

I think their choice to include two male and two female champions is great. My gaming group normally consists of two couples so each person having the main token being same sex works great. A nice difference from the majority of player tokens being male.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Salazar
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
So we're talking about the minis being unrealistic but you're fine with meeples? I would think women, and men as well, should be more offended by the use of meeples to represent their figures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Guild
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You misspelled Barbie.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Penny
Australia
Greenslopes
Queensland
flag msg tools
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather, who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Posts like these make me facepalm.

It's a board game. You're supposed to have fun. If you can't relax your sphincter long enough to overlook a few miniatures, you're in the wrong hobby.

Just back the wooden level or don't back at all and get over it. Simple. Play some more Agricola or something and move on with your life.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A J
msg tools
Would you mind explaining which part of this is supposed to be pandering?

1. The fact there are females?

2. The fact the females are too attractive?

3. What would make it less annoying"?

FWIW I have stopped buying games that don't have at least one female character (unless it's the genderless wood meeple variety), so a game that has a 50/50 ratio brings a smile to my face.

I don't *love* games where the male figurines have old and doughy characters but the only female ones are young and hot (I'm looking at you, Folklore the Affliction!), but I see this as an evolving process my wallet is willing to support.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
conan the slayer
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Love the minis, wouldn’t of backed the game without them. I like large features on miniatures as it makes it easier to highlight when painting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.