Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: this_is_my_blog,_right? [+] [View All]
Darren Belcher
Australia
New Norfollk
Tasmania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've owned this since Christmas 2013 and am JUST getting it to the table this weekend!!!

Very excited

Then just need to get Earth Reborn (even older!) played too...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Cole
United Kingdom
Cottenham
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
Hope you've got plenty of time. Runewars is one of my favourite games but it's so hard to find opportunities to play. It takes such a long time (7 hrs on average for a 4p game). Somehow we just can't get faster than one hour per game - year. Anyways, the game is awesome. Enjoy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Belcher
Australia
New Norfollk
Tasmania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
erk 7 hours??

3p on Saturday - need to get it done in 4 (5 max) :/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorsten Schröder
Germany
Bonn
flag msg tools
badge
Loser at the 'Pursuit of Happiness Contest'
mbmbmbmbmb
For first games you can easily say 'We are playing until 22:00 and whoever has the most runes then wins'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodrigo Carraro
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HI,

House rules: sandtime with 01 minute time!!!! We use for most boards that takes more than 2 hour... AP players will gonna hate!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Franco
United States
Maplewood
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
If you could touch the alien sand and hear the cries of strange birds and watch them wheel in another sky, would that satisfy you?
mbmbmbmbmb
What are you guys doing? Our first four player game (not counting setup/teaching) only took about 4.5 hours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
dbelcher wrote:
erk 7 hours??

3p on Saturday - need to get it done in 4 (5 max) :/

I don't think 7 hours is typical. Even with 4p games I don't think I've ever had one take more than 4 hours.

With 2p games, my brother and I were kicking out a game in 90 minutes, including setup (but we had dozens of plays under our belts).

If you want to shorten the time, use the old victory rules where the first one to X runes wins (without having to hold them for a year). Sometimes that can lead to sudden anti-climactic victories, but for a first game (or 50 games) that can be fine
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett
United States
Laredo
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think 7 hours is unreasonable for a first play-through if you've only got one guy who knows the rules and is teaching it to the other 3. If you can get each person to read through the rules before playing, you can really shave some time off, I think.

The biggest thing to watch out for is someone resolving their order card and assuming everyone saw what they did without saying they are done. Meanwhile, everyone else is talking, waiting for that person to resolve their order. Before you know it, 5 minutes goes by and nobody has done anything. Make sure everyone is clear about ending their turn and asking for the next initiative. Because turn order constantly changes, you have to stay on top of whose turn it is more than in other games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Budgernaut wrote:
I don't think 7 hours is unreasonable for a first play-through if you've only got one guy who knows the rules and is teaching it to the other 3. If you can get each person to read through the rules before playing, you can really shave some time off, I think.

I guess I can see that, although I did just that once (granted, using the old rules) with me being the only veteran and the game still only took about 4 hours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David "Davy" Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sigmazero13 wrote:
Budgernaut wrote:

I guess I can see that, although I did just that once (granted, using the old rules) with me being the only veteran and the game still only took about 4 hours.

Well, I imagine having Scott Lewis at the table would be like playing with a Runewars computer.

I'm starting to get to know the game a little better, but we don't play very often. A 4-player game easily takes us 5 hours, usually 6. We still have to spend time looking up rules and sometimes searching for specific rulings on BGG. Also, we're not really trying to get through it quickly -- we all like taking some time to strategize and we hardly ever rush each other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I should note, most of my non-2-player plays have been with the old "sudden victory" rules, which could make some difference.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorsten Schröder
Germany
Bonn
flag msg tools
badge
Loser at the 'Pursuit of Happiness Contest'
mbmbmbmbmb
Play styles vary from group to group.

We chat a lot. Mostly game related. Things happening in games leads us to expand the stories behind the events. So it takes us more time but we wouldn't miss that.
Having to play on a sandtimer would be a no-go for us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Belcher
Australia
New Norfollk
Tasmania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
3 players. 5 1/2 hours. Very enjoyable afternoon. Had one attempt at an early win but went to the end with a different winner having a clear majority. Won't get played that often unfortunately but definitely a great 'event' game.

Didn't seem to drag at all which is a great sign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.