Stephen M
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NEXT SESSION : Wednesday May 3, 2017.
GAMES : There are usually 50-100 games to choose from.
WHERE? THE LOUNGE of the Canadian Legion Branch 351 - Centertown, 330 Kent Street (The Montgomery Legion)
WHEN? Gaming starts at 5 pm and goes until 10
COST: FREE!!
PARKING : Kent and Somerset have parking, as well as the nearest side streets which are Gilmour, Maclaren, Cooper and Lisgar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Taylor McAusland
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hello, this week will be my first time coming out to the legion, would anyone be interested in a game of Cyclades? I have the Hades expansion for it and I'm happy to teach new players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe H
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Taylor -

Welcome! I've never played Cyclades but I've heard many good things about it. I'm sure we will be able to get a group together to play it.

Although the post says 5pm, nobody is ever there at that time. Games usually begin at 6ish.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe H
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With some great spring weather in the midst of all this rain, the group was slow to assemble but, ultimately, we drew a healthy crowd.

While we waited for others to arrive, I taught Taylor Longhorn.The sheriff was Present on the board and it seems to act as a strange attractor for me. I've only won once when it was on the board and this time followed the usual script and I kept boxing myself into corners which ended up with me trying to steal the cattle from under the Sheriff's nose and got caught red-handed and lost the game.

With a couple of more people arriving and it being one day shy of May the Fourth I broke out Loopin' Chewie to play with André and Charles. I won the first game and André took the second. To be fair, Charles' Storm Troopers seemed a bit sensitive and he managed to knock off a couple of his own. I took the first game and Andre took the second game.

Next, Andre, Nick, Andrea and I played Saint Petersburg (second edition) with both the markets expansion and the Obstacles (a first for at least three of us), which proved to be decisive. Early on I worked toward ensuring I could pass the first major obstacle (5 different workers) while Andre focused on pushing for the second obstacle (presence in all 5 markets and at least 6 in one market). Nick had pushed out early while I earned lots of income from the worker and market phases and Andrea focused on Nobles. At one point Andre had pushed out past the 6 mark in a market, but in a misinterpretation of the obstacle card gave up his upkeep market card in one of the markets which brought him down to 5 and he was never able to get higher. The game ended with 3 of us bunched up at the final obstacle (it would have been hard or impossible to have met that 6 presence requirement once Andre made his misplay). Andre purchased the last building in the market which brought him just below the 10 ruble threshold and since I had to exchange 10 rubles in for 0 victory points he won on the tiebreak.

Then, I taught the group Lotus, thus clearing another game off my shelf of shame. This is a very pretty area influence game. I made a crucial error in interpretation of the rules that put me behind from the start (I'm glad it was me, not someone else) and I had to play catchup for the rest of the game. Andre did great, not only earning majorities on the flowers taking the 5 points or a special power but also claimed flower petals by completing them. Andrea took a lot of flower majorities and Nick did a bit of both. I had to settle for just completing the flowers and taking the petal cards (1 point each) before I finally won the majority on a flower and could start getting special powers. I knew I was behind and, even though I could have ended the game, prolonged it try to eke out a few more points. I did end up finishing out the game, taking the majority in the last flower and all the petal cards. Andre finished way out front while I was one point behind Nick and Andrea not too far behind that.

Then, we finished the evening playing Splendor. It was Andre's first time playing it. Nick ended up triggering the endgame and winning the game. I was able to grab a few more points on my last turn and took second.

Lots of other great games were played. These included Onitama, Quadropolis, Vanuatu, China (or Han), Acquire and Rage.

Have a super week. See you next Wednesday.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.