Simone Biga
Italy
Reggio Emilia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

In mission Trophy Hunting there is a special setup:

Spoiler (click to reveal)
The heroes can choose a Unique mercenary figure as an ally. Then the figure is not deployed from the start but only at the end of round 2.

Considering that this special mission rule somehow differs from general Rebel Allies rule (RRG p.5 - Rebel Allies - 1st.bullet point), this undeployed mercenary figure counts as the only ally the rebels can bring in mission or they can also choose another ally to start with (obviously "giving" the corresponding threat to the Imp player)?

Thank you in advance for any answer!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Gienger
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The wording is not unambiguous as heroes choose a figure as an ally, but they don't choose to bring that ally to the mission, so in accordance with other missions bringing an ally for free, most people agree on allowing heroes a 'normal' ally at the usual cost.

Opinion spoiler ahead:
While I like that this mission brings something new it's really not balanced as the mission doesn't care if that ally is Greedo or Boba and comes for free. I also consider it weird that they can choose an already earned villain, but I think FFG has finally given up on campaign balance and just wanted a couple of fancy new things.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
Allies given by mission/special setup do not count towards the upto-one-ally limit of heroes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simone Biga
Italy
Reggio Emilia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Locu wrote:
The wording is not unambiguous as heroes choose a figure as an ally, but they don't choose to bring that ally to the mission, so in accordance with other missions bringing an ally for free, most people agree on allowing heroes a 'normal' ally at the usual cost.

That was our group opinion too, but I always prefer to look for a wider point of view.
I noticed Special setup are often little clear when including "helps" for the rebels: Also in the mission "Trespass" I think it's missing a Special Setup entry about putting aside one regular Weequay Pirate deployment card for the Event "Ambush". Is it true that in that mission there aren't open groups, but I found it somehow confusing.

Opinion spoiler ahead:
While I like that this mission brings something new it's really not balanced as the mission doesn't care if that ally is Greedo or Boba and comes for free. I also consider it weird that they can choose an already earned villain, but I think FFG has finally given up on campaign balance and just wanted a couple of fancy new things.

I totally agree with you on this. I can imagine that maybe during design/development phase of the mission they've considered (deployment points-wise) IG88 and its 12 points (because it's the only figure available to rebels if only core box and Jabba's Realm)are owned, but anyway this can mean very little if for some reason rebels decide to choose Greedo as an ally...
I also feel more "unfair" the possibility for the rebels to choose an earned villian (expecially if the imp player is running Nemeses class deck): not only they gain one free asset, but also (for the mission) "remove" it from the imp player's toolbox. While I always like special rules that add to the options of the players, I don't like when the opposite happens or the benefit of one side is payed by the other.. I don't know maybe I think so beacuse I'm the Imp player...

Thank you very much for your answer!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simone Biga
Italy
Reggio Emilia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
a1bert wrote:
Allies given by mission/special setup do not count towards the upto-one-ally limit of heroes.

Thank you, this solves very well the problem.
This has been clarified somewhere in forum? I can't find it nor in the RRG or the FAQ, but I often get lost in the non-consequential (for me at least ) structure of the rules...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alain Baum
Luxembourg
Grevenmacher
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Locu wrote:
Opinion spoiler ahead:

I agree completely, and this mission rule threw me off as well when I read it. I think it could be house ruled that the IP gains threat if an expensive ally is brought in and gains less threat on the next status phase if the ally is cheap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
Byga wrote:
This has been clarified somewhere in forum? I can't find it nor in the RRG or the FAQ, but I often get lost in the non-consequential (for me at least ) structure of the rules...

The mission stage follows its steps in order. After hearing the mission briefing the rebels can trade non-class items and then deploy themselves on the entrance. Only after that they choose whether to take one of their earned allies into the mission. This is the only place mentioning the limit, and it only applies to this process. Special setup can restrict the choice ("cannot choose X"), or disallow choosing an ally completely ("no allies"), but there is no indication of any other restrictions.

Allies, Rebel Allies wrote:
Immediately after deploying hero figures to the map during setup, Rebel players can choose to deploy up to one ally. They place all figures corresponding to the ally's Deployment card as close to the Rebel entrance token as possible.

The Imperial player then gains threat equal to the deployment cost listed on the Ally card and may immediately resolve an optional deployment. When using an ally in a mission, give ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.