Popular Tags: [View All]
gary rembo
United Kingdom
brighton
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,
With the imminent release of the 2nd edition of the nations at war series and my recent acquiring of white star rising 1st edition I thought I would cast my die into the tower so to speak.

Firstly the components.

The counters are oversized nicely pictured and have all the info you could need on them. They are layed out with each form of attack the unit can make ,its range,number of dice rolled and number or higher needed to hit,also assault values where applicable and moral level for leader,

The maps are just gorgeous on heavy stock card and the 2 cheat sheets are clear,and colourful.

There is a lot of dice chucking in this game and t can feel quite gamey but this also adds to the thrill if you get a good roll.
The combat revolves around a tabletop style combat system where a unit will roll a certain number of dice adding or removing modifiers trying to notch up hits then the opponent rolls dice based on their defence looking for successes to cancel these hits out.
Un stopped damage will first disrupt then Begin to damage units util they are no more.

Each group of units has a chit which is placed into a cup with some end turn chits and players draw to move units so your never really sure who will move when that adds tension.

If your unit has not activated you can always react to an opponents move via op fire. Very useful if your opponent is about to move into hand to hand combat but a sneaky player will draw your opp fire out leaving them open to
That panzer grenadier company you did not notice hiding in the forest across the ways...lol.

It is still amazing when I flick through the short concise rule book how much detail they have crammed into it yet the game remains clean and accesable even using all the optional rules.

To name a few we have all the standards here,mines,air support,artillery,command and control,leaders,fixed positios,ssupport weapons,etc. the list goes on.but because the system is so consistent and logical it all works really well and gels.
Also battle do not take forever and some can be finished in an hour tops.

The only negative I can draw is that for my eyes the counter numbers on certain colours can be hard to see.

In this incarnation also some have complained about the choice of either moving or firing but not both although I believe there are exceptions to this rule like the exceptional M18 fielded by the US.

myself I don't have a problem with this as this encourages combined operations where some will fire to soften the line while others reposition or charge into close combat on the softened units.
It's not a bad idea to have infantry and armor combined as armor is penalised quite heavily is left un attended and in combat with infantry (quite rightly so).

World at war another of their games introduced firing and moving as pretty much standard but that is set in the near future so vehicles have much better targeting equipment to allow accurate firing on the move. Even so in practice with the penalties applied for this in my experience tanks moving flat out do not really hit much. any how its more a try your luck as you Aproach thing so I'm happy with the WW2 system.

Anyway in a nutshell I love this system every battle is fun,close combat is deadly and visiral.and I find it very addictive trying to do better in a battle next time.

Casualties are high so probably a little gamey in that sense but it is supposed to be fun and it is.
Iwill never tire of this game and look forward to the 2nd edition to se what has changed.

9/10

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Heath
United States
Pueblo West
United States
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Gary,

Thanks for the review, I included a picture of the new counters. These new counters 2.00mm thick.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Talbot
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LNL Publishing wrote:
Hi Gary,

Thanks for the review, I included a picture of the new counters. These new counters 2.00mm thick.

And so much easier to read !

Keith T
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Müller
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmb
Is there any release date or plan which of the 5 boxes are released when? Will the boxes delivered to Europe too at the same time? And if yes which EU retailer? thanks for any info.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Druelinger
United States
Joppa
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Desert Heat, White Star Rising and Stalin's Triumph will be released together. These titles along with 27 other LnL publishing titles are with the manufacturer. I do not know exactly when they will be on the boat but I think we will hear within the next week as to when they will set sail. Dave Heath has the scoop on European sales but he is working on a deal to have these titles shipped directly from the UK meaning there will most likely be a distro hub that will ship out copies from there and not the states. This is what I think is happening but Dave has the real scoop on this.

I do not know about the retail store side but I will find out.

Thank you for your continued interest in these games.

Sean Druelinger
LnL Publishing
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Müller
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmb
oh thanks alot for the infos. Please could you or Mr. Heath give us EU fans a short notification and a link when the shipment of these 3 games arrives in the UK at the distro hub, so we can maybe order directly there?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Heath
United States
Pueblo West
United States
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

The pre-orders and after-sales will be available through Second Chance games. We don't have a set date but it will be withing a week or so after the release.

David

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Müller
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmb
site is bookmarked, thank you very much for your infos.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.