Casualist
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the interest of relieveing Geoff a little and possibly provide a starting point for discussing play strategies, here goes another feeble attempt at recording the first of this weekend's sessions of Agricola with my daughter Mil. We did play another game at Sunday, but she failed so miserably at that one as to refuse to score it. This is Saturday's play, instead - at least that one went almost equally bad for both of us:

Round One/MIMI
Mil - 3W (3)
Cas - Occ/Consultant (3C)
Mil - 1R (1)
Cas - SP + Bottles (-2C -2F)

Round Two/Grain Utilization
Cas - 3W (3)
Mil - Occ/Seasonal Worker
Cas - SP + Rammed Clay
Mil - DL (2F + 1G)

Round Three/Sheep
Cas - 3W (3)
Mil - 1C (3)
Cas - MIMI Fireplace (-2C)
Mil - SP + Butter Churn

Round Four/Fences
Mil - Occ/Conservator
Cas - 3W (3)
Mil - DL (2F + 1G)
Cas - Fishing (4F)

Round Five/Family Growth + MI
Mil - 1R (4)
Cas - 3W (3)
Mil - PF
Cas - Fences 2 (-6W)

Round Six/Stone W
Mil - 3W (3)
Cas - Sheep (4)
Mil - BR (-5W -2R)
Cas - 1C (3)

Round Seven/Renovation + MIMI
Mil - 3W (3)
Cas - Fishing (3F)
Mil - DL (2F + 1G)
Cas - 1R (2)

Round Eight/Boar
Mil - FG + x
Cas - 3W (3)
Mil - 1St (3)
Cas - BR (-5W -2R) + Stable (-2W)

Round Nine/Vegetable
Mil - Renovate (-3St -1R) + Fireplace (-3C)
Cas - Sheep (3)
Mil - MIMI (FP -> CH)
Cas - FG + Drinking Trough
Mil - Boar (2) burn 2 (6F)

Round Ten/ Stone E
Mil - 3W (6)
Cas - Occ/Geologist
Mil - Fences 2+2 (-10W)
Cas - 1C (3)
Mil - Boar (2)
Cas - SP + Loom (-2W)

Round Eleven/Cattle
Cas - Sheep (2)
Mil - PF
Cas - 1R (4) + 1C
Mil - Sow 2 (-2G)
Cas - 3W (3) + 1C
Mil - Cattle (1)

Round Twelve/Cultivation
Cas - Renovate (-3C -1R) + x
Mil - 1V
Cas - BR (-5C -2R)
Mil - PF & Sow (-1V)
Cas - FG + Wool Blankets
Mil - 1St (3)

Round Thirteen/Family Growth w/o
Cas - FG
Mil - 1C (2)
Cas - 3W (6)
Mil - 1St (4)
Cas - Fences 5 (-9W)
Mil - Fishing (6F)
Cas - Boar (3)

Round Fourteen/Renovation + Fences
Cas - Sheep (3)
Mil - 3W (3)
Cas - Occ/ Roof Ballaster (-2F + 4St)
Mil - BR (-5St -2R) + Stable (-2W)
Cas - 1G
Mil - FG
Cas - Renovate (-4St -1R) + MIMI (FP -> CH)
Cas - 1V

Final score:
Mil - 2 PS (2), 3 PF (2), 2V (2), 4G (2), 1 Cattle (1), 3Boar (2), 0 Sheep (-1), 4P (12), 3 UnU (-3), 0 St (0), 4StR (8), Cards (2) = 29
Cas - 2 PS (2), 0 PF (-1), 0V (-1), 1G (1), 0 Cattle (-1), 3Boar (2), 6 Sheep (3) 5P (15), 4 UnU (-4), 0 St (0), 4StR (8), Cards (6) = 30

Analysis: I was clearly going for sheep this time and neglected to sow and harvest. My dear daughter seemed somewhat afflicted with, what in Geoff-parlance is dubbed "Ron-think" and repeatedly tried to block me from critical resources, which I deftly avoided with some in my own view rather clever card management (i.e. Roof Ballaster to provide me stones). But overall, growth was stifled on both sides of the farm boundary, and both of us felt, that we ought to have been able to do much better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Burkman
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Peekaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, blocking gambits tend to reduce scoring. I have a session kicking around somewhere in which I blocked Ron from expansion three times running with a stable build, all to no avail. I'll have to see about putting that one up.

I notice that Mil seem averse to taking advantage of going first by leading with an Ock. Is that typical of her, or just a fluke of the two reports you've posted so far?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casualist
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Why no first occ.

I don't really know what she considers the stronger first move, but both of us seem to be in constant need of wood; hence I don't think she's emotionally able let the wood be, when given the chance.

Also, the many cards options probably confuse her, and I can't really get the point across, that the better strategy should be to make best use of the cards available and plan the moves in accordance with them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.