Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg Lorrimer
United Kingdom
Harrow on the Hill
Middlesex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm hesitating on purchasing this game right now as I'm travelling back home in a few months while currently being in a far off land (I'm somewhat exaggerating). But I also don't wish to miss the boat. I wouldn't be so bothered if I thought this game would have a decent chance of a reprint.

According to what I've read, the accessibility and game play reach a balance that the forerunners didn't quite. It also strikes me as war game for those of us logistically/spatially challenged. And Elklands experience seems to have matured in the design-for-fun-aspect while yet being a really quite serious design. A winning combination of factors, maybe.

What do you think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dom Rougier
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dunno. Pax Ren is great though.

It's broader and less focused than Pax Porfiriana, but that does mean that there are more complex interactions. I also find it a lot less abstract, which works for me.

The main challenge is information overload, both to learn and to teach.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's still available on Amazon for about $30. I agree with Dom, though, on the primary challenge. I've taught some complex games, but the degree of exceptions and rules density makes this game unapproachable for some people.

I've played it twice and it's played out differently both times and even though we were all figuring out what we were supposed to be doing, it clicked about halfway through the first game. Additionally, I think it helps if you have played the other two Pax games as there are some similar elements...and a whole lot of other elements as well!

In the end, it's an amazingly deep game and one that I look forward to playing more in the future, because it's truly excellent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Sample
United States
MILFORD
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is an option to get a copy as part of the Bios Genesis Kickstarter. So I am pretty sure he's gonna need to print more to fulfill orders for those that add that onto their pledge for that game seeing as how there already over 400 orders for levels that include Pax Ren.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rebus Carnival
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Marty S wrote:
There is an option to get a copy as part of the Bios Genesis Kickstarter. So I am pretty sure he's gonna need to print more to fulfill orders for those that add that onto their pledge for that game seeing as how there already over 400 orders for levels that include Pax Ren.

Unless they are unloading surplus, which seems likely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Sample
United States
MILFORD
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I doubt it - his print runs are always pretty tight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten K
Denmark
flag msg tools
mb
To me Pax Ren is the most opaque of the three and Pax Po the least so. I like all three though. All need repeated plays to get - not so much what you can do but why you want to do it and what the ramifications of your choices are.

Pax Ren is not a wargame. None of them are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asher D.
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
On the other hand, the game comes in a pretty small box, and doesn't weigh much, so taking it back home wouldn't be much of a hassl, and as a bonus you get to play it starting now, so why wait?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Or at the very least go over the rules and cards several times to familiarize yourself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rebus Carnival
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Marty S wrote:
I doubt it - his print runs are always pretty tight.

BGG users own about 300 fewer copies of Pax Ren than they do Pax Pamir. It is still for sale on SMG, Amazon and Miniature Market at a great price. For comparison, it looks like Pax Pamir was sold out by November 15 with a print run of 3000, about a month after it went on sale.

Just an observation. SMG historically has under produced their games, but it looks to me like they have printed more than 3000. It's a good bet: Pax Ren is great and it will be a flagship title for them for years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten K
Denmark
flag msg tools
mb
They produced more of Pax Ren than of Pax Pamir if I remember correctly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Wickens
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that the Ekland games hold their value very well so that would sway towards getting as you can always sell it. It is a very niche game with it being
- too complex and fiddly for many,
- too opaque,
- too difficult to see how to manipulate the board state for you to achieve your goals,
- Quick play time for the amount of time it takes to teach
- It is really a card driven board game and many people will not like using flippable cards instead of a board
- its a hard game to learn, hard to teach and the first game can be a bit rough
- It tries to capture a lot of the Renaissance in a small box with cards and chess pieces and not everyone will like the amount of abstraction needed for it to be a playable game
- Card draw can make or break strategies as you can go for one type of win and the cards do not come out to make it work (or cards come up to stop it).

All that said this is perhaps the game I am most excited about playing at the moment. It scales well from 2-4 and solos very well (playing 2+ players) and there are a huge amount of interesting decisions and narrative that come to light in this quick playing and fabulous game.

If you are open to exploring the game solo or have some players willing to sink the initial learning investment in to reward repeat plays I would grab it. I would also grab the expansion too as I think this adds a lot to the fun of the game without much extra rules wise and makes the game hold up to as many plays as you will be able to give it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Ben that the expansion is a no-brainer purchase. It adds 3 new elements that equate to adding a little more seasoning to an already great dish. The apostasy and torches are very neat mechanics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jose Cunha
Norway
Lysaker
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
To each its own, i don't like the extra swings that some expansion cards bring.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.