Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dennis Ku
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
"You can spend all your time making money / Or you can spend all your love making time."
mbmbmbmbmb
In making a bucket list for the first time the other night, my partner refused to write down my wish to become a professional basketball player. I'm not talking Turkish or Israeli league here - I'm going for the NBA. First of all, it should be against all brainstorming rules to refuse to write something down. Secondly, I think I can still make it.

Sure, I'm 40 now, only 5'10" or so, and my vertical has gone down to about 15 inches if I'm lucky. My knees ache, my back hurts sometimes, and I'm really, really tired and lazy most of the time. Also, I have delicate piano hands, so jamming fingers is not an option.

I'm hoping to model my late-start career after Charles Barkley in his Houston Rockets days - slow, plodding, but likes to mix it up under the basket.

Just putting this out there. Keep an eye out for me. Frankly, the Raptors have nothing to lose by putting me out there, besides integrity and my dignity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
futhee wrote:
Also, I have delicate piano hands, so jamming fingers is not an option.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Dude, it's now or never.

uhhh....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudy
United States
No too far from Philly
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
...but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind,
badge
...and reaching forth unto those things which are before,...
mbmbmbmb
I'll buy your jersey. Shoot, I might just tryout with you. I can see it now...

"Dennis drives the court...
Dishes to Rudy in the corner...
Rudy for threeee...
Airball.
"

Let's make this happen!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
futhee wrote:
In making a bucket list for the first time the other night, my partner refused to write down my wish to become a professional basketball player. I'm not talking Turkish or Israeli league here - I'm going for the NBA. First of all, it should be against all brainstorming rules to refuse to write something down. Secondly, I think I can still make it.

Sure, I'm 40 now, only 5'10" or so, and my vertical has gone down to about 15 inches if I'm lucky. My knees ache, my back hurts sometimes, and I'm really, really tired and lazy most of the time. Also, I have delicate piano hands, so jamming fingers is not an option.

I'm hoping to model my late-start career after Charles Barkley in his Houston Rockets days - slow, plodding, but likes to mix it up under the basket.

Just putting this out there. Keep an eye out for me. Frankly, the Raptors have nothing to lose by putting me out there, besides integrity and my dignity.

I have the way you can do it, in three easy steps.

1. Become really rich. I mean Mark Cuban rich.

2. Buy NBA team.

3. Put yourself on the roster and get the coach to insert you into a game during garbage time.

Step 4 will probably involve being fined by the NBA for this stunt, but step 1 means you can afford it.

I look forward to seeing you on the court!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
futhee wrote:
it should be against all brainstorming rules to refuse to write something down.
It is. Criticizing, or judging, ideas during the generative phase of brainstorming tends to cause people to filter and volunteer fewer ideas. And it's generally forbidden for that reason. What you want is to get everyone suggesting things without constraint. Then later on you evaluate those ideas.

If your partner writes NBA star down initially, later on you might concede that an NBA career isn't a likely option, but discover a linked idea that works. Maybe becoming a high school basketball coach is your dream job. Filtering out the initial implausible idea means you might never even consider anything more realistic related to that idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wifwendell wrote:
futhee wrote:

2. Buy NBA team.

3. Put yourself on the roster and get the coach to insert you into a game during garbage time.

Step 4 will probably involve being fined by the NBA for this stunt, but step 1 means you can afford it.

Well if Romo couldn't get to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Ku
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
"You can spend all your time making money / Or you can spend all your love making time."
mbmbmbmbmb
tickmanfan wrote:
I'll by your jersey. Shoot, I might just tryout with you. I can see it now...

"Dennis drives the court...
Dishes to Rudy in the corner...
Rudy for threeee...
Airball.
"

Let's make this happen!

Rudy, at least you have height on your side. And youth, relatively speaking. You know how many NBA players are older than me? As far as I know, just one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Ku
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
futhee wrote:
it should be against all brainstorming rules to refuse to write something down.
It is. Criticizing, or judging, ideas during the generative phase of brainstorming tends to cause people to filter and volunteer fewer ideas. And it's generally forbidden for that reason. What you want is to get everyone suggesting things without constraint. Then later on you evaluate those ideas.

If your partner writes NBA star down initially, later on you might concede that an NBA career isn't a likely option, but discover a linked idea that works. Maybe becoming a high school basketball coach is your dream job. Filtering out the initial implausible idea means you might never even consider anything more realistic related to that idea.

Bryan - what would be an appropriate consequence for Bridget for refusing to write down my dream vocation? I'm thinking 10 straight nights of kitchen cleanup duty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Ku
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wifwendell wrote:

2. Buy NBA team.

I'm pretty sure this is what Manny Pacquiao did in the Phillipines!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
futhee wrote:
Bryan - what would be an appropriate consequence for Bridget for refusing to write down my dream vocation? I'm thinking 10 straight nights of kitchen cleanup duty.
I think she should be forced to support you, without complaint, while you pursue your NBA career. That should be punishment enough for the both of you and teach you guys to leave BGG out of your domestic squabbles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Ku
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
futhee wrote:
I think she should be forced to support you, without complaint, while you pursue your NBA career. That should be punishment enough for the both of you and teach you guys to leave BGG out of your domestic squabbles.

I will put this to her. She will have to sit in the stands with the other partners to ooh and aah at my sick moves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.