Hide
17 Posts

Dungeon Dice» Forums » General

Subject: I don't like the crown rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gilles Monchoux
msg tools

The crown may be the only die I dislike in Dungeon Dice.
It's one fame, which is huge for a blue draw, and serves no other purpose. It opens the fields for duels, which means it will ends up into the hand of the strongest player. Or, it can leads to an endless number of duels.

I don't really know what to do with it. Do anyone have a good variant for the crown?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Theriault
United States
Weare
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't play with it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Maskounet wrote:

It's one fame, which is huge for a blue draw, and serves no other purpose. It opens the fields for duels, which means it will ends up into the hand of the strongest player. Or, it can leads to an endless number of duels.

I don't really know what to do with it. Do anyone have a good variant for the crown?

You can simply consider it a curse then. Fits the theme of the game. I personally like it. When it pops up, it gets attention.

-Ski

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Hurd
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maskounet wrote:

I tend to agree with this sentiment. It seems to only get negative attention in our group, and it seems like a cheap way to take a win - either by drawing it or by taking it like a piece of candy from a baby. When someone does draw it, it's never challenged. It feels too cheap... gamey I guess.

I would enjoy a good variant for it. We've thought of using it like the Boot in Settlers of Catan fish expansion. It's minus 1 Fame and you can pass it to the Fame leader of your choice on your turn as long as they have more Fame than you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donn Hardy
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've fairly rarely ever seen it in a game, but you really should only be keeping it if you think you're strong enough to hold on to it. Otherwise, toss it back and pull something more useful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Hurd
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
donnbobhardy wrote:
I've fairly rarely ever seen it in a game, but you really should only be keeping it if you think you're strong enough to hold on to it. Otherwise, toss it back and pull something more useful.

Yep, that's usually what happens. It's usually more trouble than it's worth. It can be a cheap win though if it's drawn for your 4th Fame.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Funk
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No fame. Additional PROTECTION each turn. Does not use an armor spot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donn Hardy
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had proposed at one point that it just add +1 to your combat total without taking an equipment spot. Thought that was in addition to the Fame. Just something to make it feel a little useful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Emerson
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mb
What about making it a Colosseum encounter die? Draw it, everyone fights, winner gets an artifact?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Hathorn
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Suggested house-rules:

Manipulate Merchants: Not worth fame, cannot be dueled for. Crown counts as three equipment when trading for artifacts.

Kingly Skills: no fame, can be dueled for, the owner of the crown can equip two class die as long as they meet the requirements of both, or equip one class die that they do not meet the requirements of.

Crown of Beat Down: no fame, no duels, uses armor slot, gives extra boosted level die when equipped. (A level 2 character with crown has two level die and one boosted level die to roll alongside gear.)

Trickle Down Treasure: Worth 1 fame, can't be dueled for. At the end of your turn, you may trade the crown for any die worth one fame (usually a trophy or artifact) from any player with more fame than you. (A balancing mechanic, when you are in the lead, it becomes unlikely to keep artifacts)

King of beasts: no fame, can be dueled for, may re-roll all used familiars once each turn.

Return of the King: When drawn as treasure during the game,you may either discard and replace or start a grand melee with all players in a fight. The winner of that fight wins the game, ignoring fame.
(Thematic, but awfully anti-climactic. It is less likely for players with a strong lead to choose to let a combat determine the outcome, so at the very least, it becomes likely that the melee would be started by players trailing behind as a last ditch effort. Incites king-making, but that is also rather thematic as the point is literally to make a new king.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Emerson
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mb
I think I will start using it as a Colosseum encounter where the active player has +1 to combat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Hurd
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
proffejor wrote:
Crown of Beat Down: no fame, no duels, uses armor slot, gives extra boosted level die when equipped. (A level 2 character with crown has two level die and one boosted level die to roll alongside gear.)

I think I like this best, or something similar. Using the Crown as a piece of headgear it gives you +1 in Combat but has no "value" so it cannot be tangled. Requires no hands but must be "equipped" at start of combat - cannot be rolled in after dice are rolled. If the crown is included in combat and you lose it goes back into the bag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gilles Monchoux
msg tools
What if the crown don't do anything but making its user win ties?
It may sounds a little weak, but late game it would stack with all your gear. And there's still nothing in DD that break ties in your favor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Hurd
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maskounet wrote:
It may sounds a little weak, but late game it would stack with all your gear. And there's still nothing in DD that break ties in your favor.

This IS a good idea. Nice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Coffin
Canada
St. John's
Newfoundland and Labrador
flag msg tools
I like trains.
badge
Nikola Tesla, Rockstar Scientist
mbmbmbmbmb
Carcking wrote:
Maskounet wrote:

This IS a good idea. Nice.

I like this. A lot. Much more interesting than 1 fame.

I'd extend it to whoever owns the crown gets to decide *any* ties in the game. Bribes accepted, of course. :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gilles Monchoux
msg tools
craigcoffin wrote:

I'd extend it to whoever owns the crown gets to decide *any* ties in the game. Bribes accepted, of course. :-)

I was thinking about that, but then it may become too powerful. Winning own ties is like +0.5 all the time. Deciding for all ties is the same, and an additional +0.5 OR -0.5 to every other combat.
Some playtesting would be required to decide. Any case, Dice Town proved that breaking ties may be fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Fro
msg tools
When the crown is drawn, it is treated as Luck Equipment.
The player then gets to swap the crown for any piece of equipment of their choice from the equipment bag (just like if you used Luck).
The crown is placed off to the side and not returned to the equipment bag, just like the Mimic.
The crown cannot be used at the beginning of the game when you are drawing your initial equipment. It is treated like the Mimic where you would put it back in the equipment bag and draw another die.
This gives the player who draws the crown a boost, but it isn't so powerful that it breaks the game.

The crown is not worth a fame point and cannot be challenged for. This is what the original rules state.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.