Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steven Larsen
United States
King of Prussia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
I have never seen a copy of Up Front so I was wondering if the cards offered by Wargamesvault.com are identical to the original. It seems that many Up Front cards I have seen are in color while many of the same WGV cards seem to be black and white and the artwork seems different. I may be confusing the different decks of cards for all I know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR Thomas
United States
Akron
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, Steve. The WGV cards are, as far as I know, faithful reproductions of the original cards. WGV just uses different format slightly (PC are small, for instance). The Action Deck cards and PC have black/white art, with colors on the random (forget what the game term is) numbers on the Action cards.

Those full-color cards you sometimes see are fan made. Hope that helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Larsen
United States
King of Prussia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Felsher
United States
Rancho Palos Verdes
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The WGV cards also fix some errata and I prefer the quality of the action cards over the original. The personality cards are a little too small for me, so I use the original Avalon hill personality cards and chits. For travel, I do like to use the WGV PC's and chit replacement cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rollo il Gatto wrote:
I have never seen a copy of Up Front so I was wondering if the cards offered by Wargamesvault.com are identical to the original. It seems that many Up Front cards I have seen are in color while many of the same WGV cards seem to be black and white and the artwork seems different. I may be confusing the different decks of cards for all I know.

You are correct. The original AH game used B&W card illustrations (and kind of simplistic art). There have been several DIY full color fan upgrades using found art. Finally, the WV reprint edition uses the same original AH art but incorporates some eratta.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rollo il Gatto wrote:

You are correct. The original AH game used B&W card illustrations (and kind of simplistic art). There have been several DIY full color fan upgrades using found art. Finally, the WV reprint edition uses the same original AH art but incorporates the eratta.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Muldoon (silentdibs)
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Robrob wrote:
The original AH game used B&W card illustrations (and kind of simplistic art).

The AH action deck was in full color, though, and the WGV version duplicates it.

The additional Jungle and Desert action decks from WGV are the cat's meow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Irving
United States
Salinas
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Robrob wrote:
Rollo il Gatto wrote:

You are correct. The original AH game used B&W card illustrations (and kind of simplistic art). There have been several DIY full color fan upgrades using found art. Finally, the WV reprint edition uses the same original AH art but incorporates some eratta.

The AH edition:
The action deck: The deck is full color. The card backs (which are used as open ground), all Terrain cards and Concealment cards are full color art. Most of the cards used pen & ink art: Movement, Rally, Fire. Sniper, Wire. Smoke, etc. (I happen to like the stark look of these cards.) Black, Red (Random number/Positions) and Blue (notes, ID #) text on the cards.

Personality & AFV card: These are punch out cards with pen and ink drawings of the weapon carried by the man (front), the man (back) or of the vehicle (Crew exposed/buttoned up). The front side is colored with each nation's color to show they are not pinned or buttoned up. Red & black text for information.

Counters: Mostly .75" counters with black/red text. Usually white. Each nation's weapons and Group ID and Sniper Lost Counter are the nationality's color.

The WGV edition:
the artwork on the card is identical to the AH edition with errata for corrections (most notably the Marsh -1) The action cards are poker sized (1/4" wider) rather than AH's bridge size. The personalities and AFV are no longer punch out cards: personalities are 1/2 size cards and smaller than the originals, the AFV's poker sized cards and somewhat larger. They had on thin stock counters originally, but now include a 1/2 sized cards which are rotated in various ways for status, dropped/malfunctioned weapons, etc.

Some people have done their own versions (especially when the game was out of print.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The WGV edition is all we have now and they have done a great job. I like how they replaced the counters with the multifunction cards as well as correcting everything in the cards and rulebook. Support them and get the game now!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Cundiff
United States
St. Bernice
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I'd say get the Action Decks and the Updated Rule books, and get the rest from a used copy of Up Front.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Larsen
United States
King of Prussia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks for the help. I'll be getting the WGV reprint even though I have no game partner right now. Maybe Vassal is an option but I never used it. The game just sounds too good to pass up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Larsen
United States
King of Prussia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
Cundiff wrote:
Well, I'd say get the Action Decks and the Updated Rule books, and get the rest from a used copy of Up Front.

Sounds good but used copies are expensive. I'll have to add it all up and see what I save.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Larsen
United States
King of Prussia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
One more question...

Does anyone think it wise or not to start with the desert pack or wouldn't it matter? Are there more scenarios for the regular game or can I adapt them to any theater of war?

The desert game is listed as an expansion, so I wonder what I would need from the original.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Felsher
United States
Rancho Palos Verdes
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I think it depends on whether or not you are a completionist. (I am.)

I own but never play with the Desert Expansion. Why? I don't think it's that fun.

Banzai, however is a must have. It's really fun to play with Jungle rules.

Truly, there is a lifetime of gaming in just the base set.

Up Front truly is the best game of all time. It would be the very last game to leave my collection, and if I could I would play it daily.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Larsen
United States
King of Prussia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
truep wrote:

I own but never play with the Desert Expansion. Why? I don't think it's that fun.

Up Front truly is the best game of all time. It would be the very last game to leave my collection, and if I could I would play it daily.

You can't stop there Bryan. Just give me a bit more about the desert expansion. Why do you think it is less fun?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Cundiff
United States
St. Bernice
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you would need the original game without which the Desert War would be useless on its own.

There are many who have written new rules for the French and Italians (who you will find within it). Those in the original game make them sometimes useless or, as ascribed above, not fun to play. The Italians seem the worst, but I've found that given good play and being cautious they pack quite the punch to an unwary and overly aggressive opponent. On offense you have to be slow, meticulous in preparing your advance, and careful. Trust not to luck and the Italians do well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cundiff wrote:
Yes, you would need the original game without which the Desert War would be useless on its own.

There are many who have written new rules for the French and Italians (who you will find within it). Those in the original game make them sometimes useless or, as ascribed above, not fun to play. The Italians seem the worst, but I've found that given good play and being cautious they pack quite the punch to an unwary and overly aggressive opponent. On offense you have to be slow, meticulous in preparing your advance, and careful. Trust not to luck and the Italians do well.

The article in the General for 501 City fight in 4 gives very good advice on how to play the French and Italians. I say they can be competitive if you build your squads well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Felsher
United States
Rancho Palos Verdes
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
If I had a f2f partner to play Up Front with as much as I want to, I'm sure that Desert War would get plenty of play. As it is, I only get to play maybe once a month these days...so I choose the more fun base game or Banzai to play.

Italians and French just aren't as fun for me because #1 they are weak, and #2 if you get stuck in a very bad situation, it is very hard to get out of.

Don't even try playing them in rear guard actions....lame...

Then you have the desert rules....where they are not only weak, but their weapons malfunction all the time!

There are definitely some tricks to playing them. But it's tough!

At any rate, even when I'm losing my ass, this game is a TON of fun. In fact, I don't know any other game where losing is so much fun. There's always something you can do. Some strategy you can at least try and pull off.

You're lucky. On the East Coast there seems to be plenty of chance to find vassal gamers to play Up Front with. There's even a league on face book. I'm on the West Coast, and I just could never find a way to link up with those guys.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dudley Albrecht
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
Rollo il Gatto wrote:
Thanks for the help. I'll be getting the WGV reprint even though I have no game partner right now. Maybe Vassal is an option but I never used it. The game just sounds too good to pass up.

One of Up Front's virtues is that it is a lot of fun solo,even without Vassal.There are some guidelines for playing solo in the files section here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Reid
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
truep wrote:

Bravo! This is the comment I would like to think I could have made myself. But you've done it brilliantly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Larsen
United States
King of Prussia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
My copy of Up Front arrived today in the mail. The quality is great. I had the rules printed out and spiral bound. The counters are a different story. I can use the counters printed on cardstock as supplied in the bundle. I could maybe use the PDF photo of the counters to have them printed out from someplace like Print&Play. I am not certain they could print counters from that picture or not. Or I could use the small cards that act as a substitute for counters.

The game doesn't seem all that difficult. I read through the rules to section 17 and feel ready for scenario A.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Oddo
United States
New Windsor
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WGV has printed cards to take the place of counters. You might want to look into those as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.