Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonathan Rowe
United Kingdom
Spalding
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
In order to make time for writing I must give up working or gaming...
mbmbmbmbmb
When you use the Spyglass to swap Enemies between two Hero Areas, does the Slow restriction on Crawler Worms and Sand Chargers re-set itself?

For that matter, can Arani's "Blessing of Fire" activate and can Sigraed use "Breath of Fire"?

I ask because "switching the positions" doesn't refer to "entering a Hero Area" and I notice no Focus is lost. Does this count as an Enemy entering a Hero Area for other purposes (such as, for example, the powers of certain Brigands and Undead who activate when they enter a Hero Area).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Rowe
United Kingdom
Spalding
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Further to this:

The Ally Ethariel (from Snow & Sand) has a similar Reflex that swaps the position of two Enemies in different Hero Areas. In Ethariel's textbox is explicitly says "this is considered normal Enemy movement".

I take this gnomic remark to mean:
- the monsters trigger the halving of Focus when they arrive in each other's Hero Areas
- Arani's "Blessing of Fire" can go off
- Elatha's Traps can go off
- Blackwood Assassins and other Thieves get to do their thing, as does the horrid Blackwood Changeling
- Slow monsters re-set their Slow restriction

The fact that the Spyglass doesn't contain this remark makes me think that it DOESN'T involve "normal Enemy movement", so none of the above things occur when you swap Enemies using the Spyglass.

Any thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Probst
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig Holstein
flag msg tools
"This is considered normal enemy movement" is just reminder text. (Edit: I have no citation for this, but anything else would be mindblowingly stupid. Mistfall generally isn't mindblowingly stupid, so dismissing mindblowingly stupid options out of hand is a useful interpretation heuristic that often serves me well.)

It's nice if things are pointed out, but lack of reminder text doesn't do anything, even if other instances have it. You're looking for special remarks when something is NOT normal movement, like Verda's taunts not resetting focus. (This applies to any game ever really, not just Mistfall)

No useful comment on the Slow thing without further rereading of wordings.

Intuitively I might have though that Slow only happens once and lack of slowness then is permanent (ie, everything after initial engage is infight and doesn't deal with enough distances that slowness matters), but I have no basis whatsoever for this and it doesn't even really make that much sense. If I knock a slow zombie back or run away from it or whatever a given zone shift represents, it seems reasonable that it should need some more time to catch up. So yeah, it should probably reset.

That said, if you just pulled it this round, it is still slow anyway, so the question is only really relevant in 2-round fights. The hell are you fucking around with a zombie or such for 2 rounds for?

Edit: various edits for elaboration

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Rowe
United Kingdom
Spalding
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Weltenreiter wrote:
Intuitively I'd think that Slow only happens once and lack of slowness then is permanent, but I have no basis for this and it doesn't even really make sense (if I knock a slow zombie back, ob course it should need some more time to catch up).

Slow means the critter doesn't activate in the same turn that it enters a Hero Area. So if you keep bouncing it to a new Area each turn, it will NEVER activate. My question is, does using the Spyglass to 'swap' two Enemies count as them "entering a Hero Area"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Probst
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig Holstein
flag msg tools
Don't get hung up on the spyglass, this would count for just about any zone move. Core provides stuff like taunt and Acrododge as examples too.
At any rate, entering a hero area is probably entering a hero area.

Edit: also, see my post-edit remark dissing 2 round fights in previous post, that's the real answer to this issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Rowe
United Kingdom
Spalding
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Weltenreiter wrote:
That said, if you just pulled it this round, it is still slow anyway, so the question is only really relevant in 2-round fights. The hell are you fucking around with a zombie or such for 2 rounds for?

You quite often have to do a 2-round fight in solo mode

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.