Aaron Sturgill
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Aka WYLD Reviews on Youtube!
badge
Find us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/WYLDGaming
mbmbmbmbmb
At the time of this posting, I have not playtested this yet, but my group often ends up with 6 players so I wanted to work out a way for us to play this game. If anyone gets an opportunity to playtest this, please let me know what does and doesn't work well and/or any idea to contribute.

GAME SETUP:
2 AGENTS, 4 HUNTERS, NO TRAITORS
-Agent players are decided and characters and equipment are secretly chosen.
-Both agents get a health boost of +2 due to the hunter player count but only have 3 equipment a piece (I may increase this at a later time should the game be too hard for the agents)
-Aside from the 4th exit being placed on the board at H1, a 5th exit will be added as well at D1.
-The four normal objectives are rolled for and hidden from the board, but a fifth objective will be activated after the third one is captured and it's location will be public knowledge. Both agents can capture objectives and 4 of the 5 need to be captured and BOTH AGENTS MUST ESCAPE to win, so at that point in the game, the hunters could assume the agents will go after the newly revealed objective or they may go after the remaining hidden objective.

CHANGES TO THE REGULAR RULES:
The Prisoner Rule--In a 5-player traitor game, if either agent dies, the agents lose. Since you are up against four hunters here, if an agent loses all of their health, they are instead captured. The hunter who took the last of their HP will roll a die. When the result of the die roll is determined, the hunter will automatically place the prisoner on that 2-grid spot location with the imprisoned agent's figure on the board lying down across those areas symbolizing their capture. The hunter can then place themselves within a 1 to 4 block radius of that prisoner and end their turn.

On a die roll of 1, the imprisoned agent is placed on G19 and G20
On a die roll of 2, the imprisoned agent is placed on O25 and O26
On a die roll of 3, the imprisoned agent is placed on S29 and T29
On a die roll of 4, the imprisoned agent is placed on E29 and E30
On a die roll of 5, the imprisoned agent is placed on O28 and O29
On a die roll of 6, the imprisoned agent is placed on V27 and V28

(DAY TWO EDIT--Ooh, What if the imprisoned agent is kept in the car!? shake)

An imprisoned agent must be freed for the agents to win the game as BOTH AGENTS MUST ESCAPE for their victory conditions to be met. To free a prisoner, the other agent must start their next turn in a space adjacent to the prisoner's location (just like completing an objective). The Prophet's ability does not work when freeing a prisoner (the agent freeing the prisoner does not have to announce it).

A prisoner who is freed gains two health and keeps at least one equipment card if they had any remaining. All other unused equipment was confiscated. If they had used all of their equipment prior to their capture, the agent who freed them has the ability to give them one card of their equipment if they desire to do so. This cannot be a card specific to their agent only.

While a prisoner is caught and waiting for an agent to free them, they can try to distract any hunters within their vicinity. On the agent's turn in each round, the imprisoned agent can roll a die. This mechanic is much like the attack mechanic for hunters. If a hunter is orthogonally within line of sight of the imprisoned agent (keeping in mind their figure is placed across a two block space meaning the two grid spaces on the left and right of the figure's body are both considered to be orthogonal), and if the imprisoned agent's die roll has a result that is equal to or greater than the spaces between themselves and the hunter or hunters within their vicinity, the affected hunters become distracted. Distractions work just like being stunned. The affected hunter(s) can only move 2 spaces on their turn and cannot use any actions.

The Fifth Objective--As stated earlier, four objectives must be captured with the agents both escaping for the agents to win. In an effort to make this fair, a fifth objective must be activated on the board. This occurs when the third regular objective is complete. The agent who completed the third objective takes both dice. They roll the first dice by itself. On a result of 1 through 4, the agent looks at their movement sheet and chooses the quadrant that matches that number (i.e.-a result of 3 would mean that the fifth objective is going to lie within the area where the number 3 is to the left of the die faces). A second die is then rolled to determine which location in that quadrant the fifth objective will be placed in. If the result of this roll puts an objective within two spaces of the remaining fourth objective, both dice must be rerolled as this would be unfair (since both could technically be caught in one move). If the first die rolled has a result of a 5 or 6, a second die is not rolled. Instead, the fifth objective gets placed on the location listed below:
5-Objective 5 is placed on R9
6-Objective 5 is placed on K4.

Unlike the other objectives in a game with this many players, the fifth objective is public knowledge and must be placed on the board with a token!
At that point, the hunters must determine whether the agents are after this newly revealed objective or after the one that remains hidden and try to head them off.

Further clarifications:
ninja
Although the hunters work together on a team that can communicate, the agents are both on radio silence and sneaking. Once they get in, they scout around and take objectives as they see fit. As both a testament to their ability as well as a detriment, they are so stealthy they really don't know where each other are at. In other words agents, your hidden movement stays hidden from each other as well. Each of you are using your own sheet of paper. If an agent is seen by a hunter or a hunter uses the car and has a general idea where an agent is, then the agents, who we assume are tapped into the hunter's communication channels, now have that knowledge. This means that while two agents can take out 4 objectives, there will be times when they may be working on the same one without even realizing it. To further cement this not always perfect partnership, I suggest assigning roles at random so the gamers at your table can't preplan which ones are the agents and which objectives they will go for. If preplanned, I feel the agents could quickly be able to eliminate the objectives and get away.

As far as detection goes, the motion sensor on the car, The Beast's sniffing ability, and the Prophet's precognition ability all apply to each agent. Both agents must announce their cardinal direction in relation to the vehicle if they moved the full four spaces. Both agents must announce if they are within scent range of The Beast if The Beast uses their ability, and both agent's must announce if they are going to complete an objective in response to The Prophet's precognition. There may be times when both agents announce it only to be at the same objective. My suggestion is if you're the second agent and the first one just revealed they completed the objective you were about to complete... run for your life away from that area.

I hope everyone enjoys this variant and that it works well for allowing 6 players to play the game without having to deal with the less desired traitor element. A similar idea may work for a 5 player game with 2 agents versus 3 hunters, though I would not give a 2 HP increase to the agents in that scenario since they are almost evenly matched.

Please let me know how this works for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.