Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Do It Yourself

Subject: looking for holofoil cardstock like foil MTG cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Drew Dallas
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone know where I can find holofoil cardstock?

I recently saw this thread (https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1055358/diy-project-custom-...) about making custom foil cards using Magic The Gathering cards as a base. This is exactly what I'd like to do for a project of mine but I want different sizes so I'm hoping that someeone might know of a similar blank cardstock as to what magic uses with foil on one side of it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hébert
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Does this tip help?

http://howaboutorange.blogspot.com/2013/06/diy-foil-cards-be...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Young
United States
Ogden
UT
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
jhebert wrote:


That's pretty cool. But I think the OP is looking for holographic foil, which is a little different.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Dallas
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jhebert wrote:


Although that is neat as Timothy said holographic foil is different. It would look something like this:



Silver metallic with a rainbow when the light hits it. And then when you printed on the transparency paper the card would look like

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
my Hobbes is a Madcat
Avatar
mb
Would something like this do? They have a similar product for inkjet as well.
http://www.papilio.com/laser%20holographic%20silver%20shine%...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darksbane wrote:
Anyone know where I can find holofoil cardstock?

I recently saw this thread (https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1055358/diy-project-custom-...) about making custom foil cards using Magic The Gathering cards as a base. This is exactly what I'd like to do for a project of mine but I want different sizes so I'm hoping that someeone might know of a similar blank cardstock as to what magic uses with foil on one side of it.


I am intrigued as to this idea, but I am trying to understand what you are trying to do. Are you trying to add a holographic or foil type backing to a card you own? Or are you trying to make a design of your own look like foil or holographic?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ridley Bojangles
United States
Cape Elizabeth
Maine
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a trick you can do with some foil MTG cards where you take acetone and rub off the existing ink from a common foil, then print a new graphic to the card. This works fine (just buy a crapload of cheap common foils off eBay) but its a PITA. I'm guessing the aim is to make custom foil cards.

I looked for this myself and it doesn't seem to exist for sale to consumers. I'd love it if this could be purchased since it's pretty fun to make custom foil proxies.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Dallas
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
middletonner wrote:
Would something like this do? They have a similar product for inkjet as well.
http://www.papilio.com/laser%20holographic%20silver%20shine%...


Awesome, just ordered a sample to see what it will look like.

TheSpiceOfLife wrote:


I am intrigued as to this idea, but I am trying to understand what you are trying to do. Are you trying to add a holographic or foil type backing to a card you own? Or are you trying to make a design of your own look like foil or holographic?


Basically trying to make a design look foil or holographic. If you see in the thread I linked above they use a magic card as the holographic base card and then they print onto a transparency and glue that to the magic card. The process he lays out in that thread is pretty much exactly what I want to do but I also want to have different sizes than a standard magic card. That is where I'm running into the issue. Also to a lesser extent the card back being one for a magic card is a problem too.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.