Champions of Midgard» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Rod's Review: Champions of Midgard rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bang Lover
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
Alright, I just bought (okay, won! thanks March Madness) Champions of Midgard and I love it! Here is a quick review of the game as I see it...

Components - 7/10 : This is my only beef with the game. For the most part the components are okay. However, my box is about 2 weeks old and it is already showing wear at the corners and I feel it could be a problem. The game board, player boards, cards, dice, etc are all quality components. The game box insert is pretty week too. I feel Grey Fox could have done a slightly better job here.

Gameplay - 9/10 : For those of you that know how a "worker placement" game works you know that the gameplay is one of the most fluid of all genre's. For those who have not been introduced to this genre yet, players take turns placing their workers at different locations on the board which offer different benefits. With CoM there are some places that will continue to restock (if taken) or continue to build (if no one goes to that location). After workers have been placed players take turns engaging in different battles (if they so chose to embark on one). There is a Troll to fight along with Draugr's and Monsters.

Strategy - 9/10 : I love strategy games and typically am drawn toward games like Puerto Rico, Terra Mystica, Castles of Burgundy and other strategy games. This is pretty much my first introduction to "worker placement having played Stone Age and Lords of Waterdeep once each. I really like CoM in comparison with these other two for a couple reasons: 1. I really enjoy the dice rolling for combat and gaining VP's and other goods from my conquests. I also really like the Viking theme, especially in comparison to LoWD (sorry D&D fans).

Fun Factor - 10/10 : This game has really impressed me. I am constantly trying to find ways of getting this game onto the table. I just love the idea of sending my Viking warriors off to battle and making sure I have food to send with them for their journey, I love the idea of defending the village from the Troll each round and assigning blame to those who don't, and I just love the endless routes that can be taken to receive VP's and be the eventual Champion of Midgard!

Final Verdict: 9/10
For all the reasons already mentioned. For the fact that the Worker Placement mechanic is so enjoyable. For the "take that" element in the game. For the excitement of the battles and the spoils received after victory. For the great theme and how it really comes through in so many ways. For the high level of strategy and tough decisions.

If you are looking for a Worker Placement game for your collection, I highly recommend Champions of Midgard!!

Thanks for checking out my review.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.