Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Bridge
United States
Roanoke
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
We're thinking of trying something soon, but I want to hear from others if it would "break anything".

Our group REALLY hates the complete miss card! But of course we all love our double damage card

There is already a variant to treat each of these cards as a +0 shuffle cards instead. One side effect of this, however, is that a certain helmet becomes useless (and we would miss our double-damage chances).

Would it mess things up horribly if we left the double-damage card "as is", but changed the "miss" card to a "+0 shuffle" card? This would apply to the monster deck as well of course.

Would a change like this favor the players in some "unbalanced" way?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Daneman
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This would definitely nerf the game for you. However, if you change the miss card to anything, I think it should be a -2, not a +0!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Hedgren
United States
Dublin
Ohio
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
New rulebook suggests +2 and -2 for the variant, rather than +0. But yeah, changing the Null and not the x2 would make the game easier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Bridge
United States
Roanoke
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
boomtron wrote:
New rulebook suggests +2 and -2 for the variant, rather than +0. But yeah, changing the Null and not the x2 would make the game easier.

Interesting. I didn't know about this change in the rulebook. Maybe we'll try that for a while instead.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Boehm
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I leave them as is, except when you are hitting a rollling modifier while advantaged or disadvantaged. If using a rolling modifier on advantage, the null is a +0, if using a rolling modifier on disadvantage, the 2x is a +0. I don't think you should be hitting for 0 on advantage or critting on disadvantage. It's even and clean, although this +2/-2 in the new rulebook is intriguing...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald Cruz
msg tools
mbmb
Seems like it would make the game easier because players have the option of nullifying a 2x damage card by getting a helmet or losing a card, while the enemies don't.

But difficulty is relative. Perhaps your party has a non-ideal mix of classes or perhaps there is something else making "Normal" difficulty actually harder for you. Who knows? ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Bridge
United States
Roanoke
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
We tried the +2/-2 thing tonight instead and it seemed to work better.

Is one difference that even if you hit for -2 you can still inflict a condition, whereas the miss did not? (At least we have always played that a miss does not inflict conditions).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Hedgren
United States
Dublin
Ohio
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You played incorrectly then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Steele
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ebridge wrote:
We tried the +2/-2 thing tonight instead and it seemed to work better.

Is one difference that even if you hit for -2 you can still inflict a condition, whereas the miss did not? (At least we have always played that a miss does not inflict conditions).

"total miss" isn't really what that card does. It's just 0 damage. Everything else still happens.

As far as making it a +0 or -2 without changing the x2, I don't think it matters. If both sides are using the same rule it'd be fine. Yes it might change things a bit in some situations, but if it makes it fun in more situations, than it's a win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Bridge
United States
Roanoke
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
So it's not a miss. OK, that was my bad, thinking back to my D&D "critical miss" days. Guess it're more of a glancing blow then. Good to know. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Stiles
United States
Brandon
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This should be in the "variants", not "general" forum
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.