9 Posts

The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: I'm a little confused by the game... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Moo Cow
msg tools
mb
I got this a while back for Christmas and played the intro scenario once or twice and then forgot about it. Decided to try to get back into it, but reading up on a lot of stuff - it seems like the core set itself isn't even adequate to beat itself solo; I keep reading that you need better cards from other sets, etc.

Anyway - I tried checking their site about expansions and I can't even get those straight. There's like 10 drop down menus of expansions on their site for this game.

So where do I get started if I'm interested in just beating the core set scenarios? I know there's 3 different difficulties, so let's assume I want to start on "easy" mode to just get the basics down, but I would like to get through on "Normal" mode; what am I looking at here? I'm not really interested in "Hard" or "Nightmare" at all - I don't enjoy that level of difficulty; I'm more about the mechanics and just enough challenge, but not stupid hard challenge.

I prefer to play solo; and the game starts you with the single influence 30 card decks. I'm not much of a deck builder - but should I work at trying to make a 2 'color' deck to get going here? Is beating the 3 scenarios on normal mode viable with just the core set? There's only 3, but it looks like the difficulty from the first scenario to the last scenario skyrockets; so I don't know what I'm really looking at here.

I played the first scenario on "easy" mode today to just get a grip on the game again, but I know that's no gauge for how the game plays on through other scenarios on "normal".

Sorry for the rambling - just trying to get a gauge on this game and whether I should even bother with it; after reading all this stuff about having to buy other sets just to get cards to make the core game viable it turns me off, but I'd like to give it a go and see what I can make of it.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam S.
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I highly recommend reading through this: Guide to new LOTR players
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Play normal mode against the first scenario with the included decks. Try each one by itself, play single deck solo. Don't start with the Tactics deck. Carefully read the manual while playing. Don't worry about winning. Get the rules, procedures, and any card effects/triggers down until you have any uncertainty cleared up. Refer to the official FAQ, also various forums, blogs, and run-throughs. Then, put two spheres together to create a 50-card deck. Consider a second core for extra copies of Dwarven Tomb, Unexpected Courage, Henamarth Riversong, and 3+ copies of A Test of Will (among others).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Davis
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Instead of giving you homework to read a bunch of other sites, I'll try the quick approach:
You can certainly beat the first scenario with the core box. It will be very difficult to do it with a single color pre-built deck though.
If you have patience, try each of them to get a feel for their specialties and which ones you like best.
Then you will want to pick 2 colors and combine your favorite cards and heroes from each one.

Very generally:
Red is good at fighting
Blue is good at questing
Purple is good at getting more resources and cards
Green is good at healing and reducing threat

The second scenario is harder, to be sure, but I believe still possible with the core set. The third one is tough, and although you may be able to do it with just core set, you will have a much easier time if you play that third scenario with either a second player, or play 2 decks by yourself. Beating Dol Guldur with a single deck is very very hard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Corbett
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Also, try Beorns Path, this helped me a lot

https://hallofbeorn.wordpress.com/beorns-path/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Stephenson
United States
Buford
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Second Beorn's Path suggestion. Go there, read, learn and follow. By the time you finish the part dealing with the core set (part six), you should understand the basics of deck building and know whether you like the game enough to pursue it further.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Goulette
United States
Santa Clara
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ryansdavis wrote:
Instead of giving you homework to read a bunch of other sites, I'll try the quick approach:
You can certainly beat the first scenario with the core box. It will be very difficult to do it with a single color pre-built deck though.
If you have patience, try each of them to get a feel for their specialties and which ones you like best.
Then you will want to pick 2 colors and combine your favorite cards and heroes from each one.

Very generally:
Red is good at fighting
Blue is good at questing
Purple is good at getting more resources and cards

The second scenario is harder, to be sure, but I believe still possible with the core set. The third one is tough, and although you may be able to do it with just core set, you will have a much easier time if you play that third scenario with either a second player, or play 2 decks by yourself. Beating Dol Guldur with a single deck is very very hard.

I second the suggestions here. I have beat the core scenarios playing "two handed solo." It is still really hard though to be honest. But it is possible.

EDIT: Let me add that the core set was designed (in part) to get you started. You fill out your decks with the expansions. The core set is a nice experience, don't get me wrong, there is a lot of play with just tho core set. But the game really develops with expansions. That is the living card game model.

But you absolutely don't need to buy everything!

By the way if you look at the main page on BGG click on "more" then "Community wiki" and you will see a breakdown of the expansions in order.

If you do want to try some expansions, FFG is in the process of reprinting the Mirkwood cycle (the first set of 6 expansions) and the Khazad-dûm/Dwarrowdelf expansions. They should be in stores soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florian Kalenda
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
My advice would be to avoid sites like Beorn's for the next few weeks, although they have excellent advice.

You can certainly beat the first and second scenario solo with a self-made deck. I recommend mixing two spheres.

Some people are years ahead in experience with this game. That's brilliant, you can always get help if you need it. However, don't let them spoil the game for you. Spend a couple of weeks/plays at least making your own experiences.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Saldanha
Portugal
Loures
Lisboa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ryansdavis wrote:
Blue is good at questing

Blue (Spirit) is the one that is good at reducing threat, not Green (Lore).
Green (Lore) is good at healing and drawing cards and deck manipulation.

Also, Hall of Beorn is the place to go as mentioned before. sauron
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.