Hide
15 Posts

Elder Sign» Forums » Rules

Subject: Public Lavatory rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Priscu
msg tools
I bought Elder Sign board game over the past weekend. In my first game, I drew Kate Winthrope, and later in the game I drew Public Lavatory after resolving an adventure card.

I have the revised printing edition. Is there a difference between the new and older Public Lavatory? Didn't the older Public Lavatory have "Two monsters appear and place" while the new one has only "place the two monsters?"

It seems the only way new monsters can enter play by "appearing." When it says "place the two monsters" without "appearing," does it mean that I'm supposed to move the monsters from other adventures to Public Lavatory?

To me, Kate's ability doesn't trigger because Public Lavatory doesn't have the key word "appear."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
designer
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
badge
Amor, sola lex
mbmbmbmbmb
There's no thing like monsters moving in Elder Sign (fortunately: a great part of the strategy lies in strategic placement of monsters, and if we move monsters, then good luck to match this with the actual rules). I don't remember the two wordings for this card. IIRC, PL had two monsters appearing when the adventure was drawn, could be? If you could provide the complete wording for the card you own, it'd be easier helping
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Priscu
msg tools
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David K.
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
When you draw and place the PL card, just put two new monsters on the two white boxes on the card. That's all there is to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heath Doerr
United States
Farmington Hills
Michigan
flag msg tools
Origins 2018 Jun 13th - 17th
badge
Unplayed Countdown: 2 left to play
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, but he was Kate Winthrop, and it was still his turn when the card was drawn (prior to the Clock phase). I'd say he has a case for not adding the monsters to the card.

Edit: Here's the unrevised text: "When this card is drawn, 2 monsters appear and are placed on this card."

So maybe this is why they removed the appear keyword in the revised edition. These monsters aren't appearing, they are already 'there'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
designer
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
badge
Amor, sola lex
mbmbmbmbmb
doerrhb wrote:
Yes, but he was Kate Winthrop, and it was still his turn when the card was drawn (prior to the Clock phase). I'd say he has a case for not adding the monsters to the card.

Edit: Here's the unrevised text: "When this card is drawn, 2 monsters appear and are placed on this card."

So maybe this is why they removed the appear keyword in the revised edition. These monsters aren't appearing, they are already 'there'.

Yeah, sounds like a good reading. The adventure card is added during Kate's Resolution Phase (adventures are replaced before resolving penalties or rewards for the adventure), so, technically, Kate's special ability is triggered, but it's curious that they used "place" in stead of "appear".

Adding this one to the FAQ project
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex F
Israel
Ashdod
Negev
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kate's special ability has no effect in Public Lavatory The monsters do not appear, they're already there, and are part of this card.
If, however, she resolves the Public Lavatory successfully, she doesn't spawn the two monsters that are part of the "reward" on the card.

As opposed to something like The Mysterious Puzzle Box which has an Entry effect that states that two Monsters appear. If Kate tries to tackle The Mysterious Puzzle Box during her turn, she negates the Entry effect.

Note also that if a game effect(terror, entry or other) makes monsters appear, they do not normally appear on the card that spawned them, unless the text specifically designates the card by having the keyword here.

You start spawning monsters on cards with empty Monster Tasks on them(white border). If there aren't any, you choose to spawn them on any card you want. However, they must be evenly distributed. And if several monsters appear, you cannot just dump them on one card; you have to spread them around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
designer
badge
Amor, sola lex
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with you, Alex. The real question here is: the use of "place" in stead of "appear" on this card was done on purpose, or it just "happened"? I'm possibly cynical here, but core and UF have so many issues with sloppy wording that nothing would surprise me here. I added the question to the FAQ project simply because this keeps on returning, over time, so, better addressing it once and for all with a proper reference
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex F
Israel
Ashdod
Negev
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the wording has purpose.
Think of Public Lavatory simply as a card with two randomly determined monsters attached to it
It makes sense thematically too.

If you try to open the Mysterious Puzzle Box, it attracts all kinds of monstrosities.
As for Lavatories, well, it's their habitat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Croal
Canada
Guelph
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Slightly off topic. Not sorry.

This is my favourite card in the game. The idea of a public lavatory being horrifying or more horrifying than usual is great. There are all sorts of terrible rooms full of maddening evil in the museum but the public bathroom, well that is scary. What is the flavour text? Something about blood on the floor? The 'quiet' cards gag is a close second.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hébert
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Julia, is the FAQ project you mentioned something forthcoming?

I did not see such a file with your name, but I did not think to check under the expansions.

Thank you. It is a huge benefit having someone with the dedication to clarify these things. I appreciate it (and your other Arkham-related contributions).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
designer
badge
Amor, sola lex
mbmbmbmbmb
jhebert wrote:
Julia, is the FAQ project you mentioned something forthcoming?

No idea, sorry (and even if I had, I'd not be allowed to share); I know I've been collecting questions for a few years now, so, I hope we're not that far from release

jhebert wrote:
I did not see such a file with your name, but I did not think to check under the expansions.

This is the thread where questions were originally collected; but in the end, with the passing of time, I subscribed to all ES forums, so, I simply collect the questions as soon as they are asked, if they actually touch some obscure points in the rules

jhebert wrote:
Thank you. It is a huge benefit having someone with the dedication to clarify these things. I appreciate it (and your other Arkham-related contributions).

It's a pleasure helping the community. I wish I could do more, but sadly time is a harsh master
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Nerman
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Scarlet Witch wrote:
I agree with you, Alex.

Actually, you disagreed with Alex. Alex said you do put monsters on the card. You said you don't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex F
Israel
Ashdod
Negev
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wwfsmd wrote:
Slightly off topic. Not sorry. ;)

This is my favourite card in the game. The idea of a public lavatory being horrifying or more horrifying than usual is great. There are all sorts of terrible rooms full of maddening evil in the museum but the public bathroom, well that is scary. What is the flavour text? Something about blood on the floor? The 'quiet' cards gag is a close second.

Yes, I like the card too. The description is effectively minimalistic and creepy.
"Blood coated the mirror."

I also like the Mysterious Puzzle Box.
I'm a big fan of Clive Barker's work, and this could be an allusion to Lemerchand's Box from The Hellbound Heart-the short novel that inspired Hellraiser.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
designer
badge
Amor, sola lex
mbmbmbmbmb
nerman8r wrote:
Scarlet Witch wrote:
I agree with you, Alex.

Actually, you disagreed with Alex. Alex said you do put monsters on the card. You said you don't.

Where did I say that? Sorry Michael, I'm a bit lost here

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.