Gloomhaven» Forums » General

Subject: Gloomhaven Digital Encyclopedia rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
João Guisado
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gloomhaven 2nd edition just raised almost 4000000$. Isaac said he wouldn't offer any more physical components as stretch goals, which is fine by me (the game is already a monstrous big box full of components).

But he offered 10 missions of a new mini campaign plus 1 for every 100000$ past 300000$, which leaves us with 19 (possibly 20? ;p) more missions.

That's cool. BUT... Similarly with the components, the game also comes already with tons of missions. I'm not complaining with the fact we got 19 more. But after raising 4000k$ I'd rather get some more lore (or possibly both? ).

I'd love a digital (so there's no cost of producing it, other than the time to write it) encyclopedia of Gloomhaven.

Not with story but with details about the world and it's inhabitants. Things like:

-Geography (Climate, Terrain, Regions, Rivers, Swamps, Mountains, etc)
-Animals (I bet this world not only has intelligent beings but also creatures) and their behaviors (what they eat, where they live, etc))
-Races (this one is obvious)
-Demographics (about the races and more specifically their societies)
-Politics (between and within races)
And so on...

What do you guys think of this? Would it be bad if we asked Isaac for this? I don't want to demand anything. Isaac deserves everything he earned. But would be awesome if he could do something like this...

Poll
What should we ask for?
Don't ask anything (we already got the mini campaign)
Ask for a digital encyclopedia instead of the mini campaign
Ask both the mini campaign and for a digital encyclopedia
      153 answers
Poll created by Je_Pe

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug D
United States
El Paso
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I personally don't have a need for any of that. It has nothing to do with the gameplay in my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Fletcher
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EDIT: I jumped before reading your full first post and assumed you wanted an organizational app that worked in tandem with the tabletop game; that is pretty clearly not what you’re looking for.

Instead, I think what you’re looking for is probably most easily built as a website or wikia.

Email Isaac and see if he’d let you make an unofficial one. There’s always the chance he likes it and makes it canon.

Now, for the sake of answering a question that wasn’t asked, here’s my initial response:

I feel like I read him address something like this somewhere. He basically said that producing digital “accessories” to a game takes a vastly different skill set than building a “paper” game does, and even knowing where to begin was a hurdle he wasn’t ready to tangle with.

I can say firsthand (I work for a studio that does both) that he’s not wrong. For someone who specifically has a metaphorical foot in both countries, (and we have one of those guys in our office), sure, it’s easy. Without that background though, it’s a massive undertaking just to try to determine what you want that app to accomplish for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hébert
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I applaud your enthusiasm! At the same time, since all of this material comes from the fertile imagination of Isaac, I fear the chronicling of the world of Gloomhaven would involve more of his time, which may be quite a scarce commodity!

Given that he has another boardgame now in the works, and more scenarios after that, 35,000-plus-odd copies of a game to ship, and probably even more ideas after those... why not start a project based on the game materials and his "lore" videos online? This would create a place for the material to live and breathe and grow over time. A community style wiki make your idea possible, and Isaac could add to it as he saw fit, if he wished to.

Just my .02 opinion, though. I simply think he's got more than enough to fill his days AND nights.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Childres
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I will just add that I think you got some interesting lore, especially about Vermlings and Orchids, through the Kickstarter scenarios. So who knows what more lore you will discover in the new scenarios?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
João Guisado
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Opticus wrote:
I personally don't have a need for any of that. It has nothing to do with the gameplay in my opinion.

Thanks for your opinion I think in a game like this, theme is never too much. Otherwise we could just call "Pawn 1 ; Pawn 2 ; Card one ; etc" and make it an abstract game.

TheBoxmaker wrote:
EDIT: I jumped before reading your full first post and assumed you wanted an organizational app that worked in tandem with the tabletop game; that is pretty clearly not what you’re looking for.

Instead, I think what you’re looking for is probably most easily built as a website or wikia.

Email Isaac and see if he’d let you make an unofficial one. There’s always the chance he likes it and makes it canon.

Yes, my idea would be something like a wikia, or even just a pdf file with such information

The only requiremente would be time and imagination to write. I wouldn't mind write it, but it's not my world, it's Isaac's. That wouldn't work.

jhebert wrote:
I applaud your enthusiasm! At the same time, since all of this material comes from the fertile imagination of Isaac, I fear the chronicling of the world of Gloomhaven would involve more of his time, which may be quite a scarce commodity!

Given that he has another boardgame now in the works, and more scenarios after that, 35,000-plus-odd copies of a game to ship, and probably even more ideas after those... why not start a project based on the game materials and his "lore" videos online? This would create a place for the material to live and breathe and grow over time. A community style wiki make your idea possible, and Isaac could add to it as he saw fit, if he wished to.

Just my .02 opinion, though. I simply think he's got more than enough to fill his days AND nights.

Yes, you are absolutely right about time requirement for it. I'm well aware of it, and that's why I think an option could be swaping the mini campaign with the encyclopedia.

But this is just an opinion. It's ok if someone else thinks the campaign it's a better option.

That said, I love the idea of starting a wikia based on the game materials and Isaac's "lore" videos. This would have to be done carefully, because the idea here is not to give any kind of spoilers. It would have to be something "Timeless" and with facts that don't affect the story of the game.

Cephalofair wrote:
I will just add that I think you got some interesting lore, especially about Vermlings and Orchids, through the Kickstarter scenarios. So who knows what more lore you will discover in the new scenarios?

Hi Isaac! It's an honor to be able to reach out to you! That is an awesome idea. You could try to make the campaign biased twords exploring the lore of Gloomhaven.

What do you think of the idea of creating a wikia for Gloomhaven?

Ps: English is not my native language. I apologize in advance for anything

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dreux Barbier
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think personally I'd prefer a great searchable wiki on the GH rules - that also works on mobile devices because we always seem to need to look up a rule or 3 on our phones in the middle of a game, and searching on BGG forums for the answers brings the game to a screeching halt.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Brazelton
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is something that I would love to have! But I wonder if it could be community-driven, extrapolating information from scenarios and Isaac's lore videos, as well as other sources.

My group's blog that we use to track our campaign has quickly turned into more of a digital, episodic novel than anything else. The characters have backstories that play into the scenarios, and the city and road events fit into the different character arcs in interesting ways. It's been challenging sometimes to sort of invent aspects of the world that I don't really know about, and I often wish I had something like what you're describing to reference.

In fact, the more I work on the blog, the more I find myself wishing that there were Gloomhaven novels to continue exploring the world in another medium. I'm not a fantasy writer by any means (as those who follow the blog will attest to), but I'm really enjoying having these characters really feel like they're living in the world.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysztof RabidBlackDog
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wish not for the encyclopedia, but for a RPG book. That'd be so cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Martell
New Zealand
Lower Hutt
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I don't want to put time and effort on Isaac to create more lore for the sake of it, but I do think Gloomhaven is a big enough world as it stands that if any enthusiastic player was to create a wiki for it, that wouldn't go amiss. I do imagine that Gloomhaven is a world that Isaac may return to from time to time and create a new scenario with a bit more lore.

I don't think Isaac originally expected it, but I think there's also going to be far more demand than a game this big should reasonably have for an expansion as well. When a truly massive world is created, it can be hard to get enough of it. If Isaac ever had the inclination to do it, I can imagine that by 2020, a box with new scenarios, new classes, new career goals and new events would be in high demand. So we never know how lore might develop. It's all up to Isaac, really.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.