Buffy the Vampire Slayer: The Board Game» Forums » General

Subject: use a Die for glyph checks? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Alexander
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Anyone yet take a blank die and draw the glyphs for doing the checks? seems to me that would be slightly more random or easier that drawing event cards. We were close to running out of event cards in a two player game the other night. As there are only 3 options, a standard d6 would work fine.

I thought about just a standard d6 and a cheat sheet. 1-2 ankh, 3-4 pentagram, 5-6 eye of providence.

it shouldn't change the outcome, unless there are not same number of glyphs in the deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Stephens
Australia
Ringwood
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The discard piles get shuffled into the deck at the end of each round, after monster activation, so there shouldn't really be a situation where you're close to running out of event cards. And the probability of each symbol should moreorless be close to 1/3 every time.

Admittedly a die would make sense, but I like how the odds change slightly the more event cards are drawn during the round, which I think is the point, which is why a success is determined by either two symbols, rather than just one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Roachelle
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are an equal number of Glyph symbols spread out on the cards. I personally counted one time.

You do shuffle and replay through the event deck if you run out of cards.

Using the cards is also a good way to ensure variance each game. You are not going to see the entire deck this way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Dos Santos
United States
Hallandale
Florida
flag msg tools
JustinBoy24 wrote:
The discard piles get shuffled into the deck at the end of each round, after monster activation, so there shouldn't really be a situation where you're close to running out of event cards. And the probability of each symbol should moreorless be close to 1/3 every time.

Admittedly a die would make sense, but I like how the odds change slightly the more event cards are drawn during the round, which I think is the point, which is why a success is determined by either two symbols, rather than just one.

I think only the item discard piles get shuffled back into the deck at the end of each round. The other discard piles are only reshuffled when their decks run out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Alexander
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
lroach2 wrote:
There are an equal number of Glyph symbols spread out on the cards. I personally counted one time.

You do shuffle and replay through the event deck if you run out of cards.

Using the cards is also a good way to ensure variance each game. You are not going to see the entire deck this way.

I would think you would have more variance with the events without using it to check the glyphs. If I have the Slayer Scythe artifact, it pulls a lot of event cards out of play. If another player has a check artifact even more are not 'used' for play. and then even more get skipped when you have the big bad revealed and plot cards. that becomes a lot of glyph check draws each round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Roachelle
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lxzndr wrote:
I would think you would have more variance with the events without using it to check the glyphs. If I have the Slayer Scythe artifact, it pulls a lot of event cards out of play. If another player has a check artifact even more are not 'used' for play. and then even more get skipped when you have the big bad revealed and plot cards. that becomes a lot of glyph check draws each round.

OK. I'm not hating on your idea. Go for it.

For me it's not worth the extra effort to get a die and remember / reference what the roll outcome means. Flipping a card, IMHO, is faster / easier.

If they made an actual Glyph die, I'd definitely use it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Vallina
United States
Buffalo
NY
flag msg tools
if I'm Andy, is Zack April? seems right...
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I finally played my first game last night and QUITE agree with the original post. I'd LOVE to have a glyph die rather than using the event deck for anything other than actual events.

I'm using THIS tutorial tonight and making a bunch of these dice. Probably about one per player so we don't even have to share (and because its easier to make a bunch at once, eh?)

I'll let y'all know how it turns out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Roachelle
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

If you really want a glyph die there are many places online that will do it. It'll cost about $10 - $12 for a single die. You'll have a unique item and it won't rub off, as is possible with the homemade version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Alexander
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Also, many gaming stores sell blank dice. I think is what I will do, and then just use permanent marker for the images. won't be perfect, but I'm good with it. just have to get to the store.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Vallina
United States
Buffalo
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just printed out on a sheet of translucent label paper a bunch of symbols and cut out two of each for a die.

if y'all want, I can upload the file for you to print out so you dont have to do the sizing. they are set up to be 1.5cm squares.

I put a crap ton of each symbol on the sheet so I have extras for when they get wonky and peel off.

this is just an intermediary solution until I have time to follow through on the tutorial I linked above.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
don hoe

Massachusetts
msg tools
Once you draw a card from the event deck the percentage changes due to the number of cards in the deck for that glyph being less. Doing it with cards was for a reason.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Vallina
United States
Buffalo
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
craftytouch wrote:
Once you draw a card from the event deck the percentage changes due to the number of cards in the deck for that glyph being less. Doing it with cards was for a reason.
No doubt there was a reason. Everyone I've played with so far has agreed that a die fits our play style better. As a house-rule we use my custom die.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hobbs
United States
Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
mb
I love this idea. I haven't played with the die yet, but here's the custom die I made.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Roachelle
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
craftytouch wrote:

This is exactly right and what I was trying to convey when I was discussing variance. If you draw 6 pentagrams out of the first 10 cards your odd of getting one later are reduced.

With a die you always get a 33% chance of the outcome you want.

The variable odds the cards represent versus a six sided die appears to be an intentional design choice.

For example: Using the Event cards makes the Plot Cards harder to defeat. By the time you are able to address them the number of glyphs available will probably be lower than 33% as cards will already have been drawn and discarded.

Using cards my also make some other enemies easier to defeat since you may have drawn 10 cards and not seen any of the glyphs needed for later MotW or Plot Cards.

The dice do look pretty neat, but I'm going to play the game as designed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.