Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bård Holst
Norway
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just clarifying that I got this right.
Intuition die aside, you only get one roll of 3 action dice per lock right?!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark D
United States
San Fernando Valley
California
flag msg tools
mb
Re: Lockpicking
Correct. And for others, don't forget, if you fail the 1st lockpicking attempt while recovering, you get a 2nd try automatically. Also any gearlocs playing with him get an attempt as well, if they're eligible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jebstone Boppman
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nusferatu wrote:

You will get 3 rolls total, per attempt, yes.(ignoring the intuition die mechanic)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bård Holst
Norway
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank's for the quick replies

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Ryan
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Jebstone wrote:
Nusferatu wrote:

You will get 3 rolls total, per attempt, yes.(ignoring the intuition die mechanic)

Technically it is you will get "up to" 4 rolls per attempt. If you can't get past the initial lock, you can try one more time. After that, you must get past each lock successively in order to attempt the next.

1) Attempt to pick lock 1
1.a) If you fail and this is the first time you've attempted to pick then lock, you may make another attempt to pick lock 1.
1.b) If you succeed, move on to lock 2, though any dice used to unlock lock 1 cannot be used for lock 2 (you still roll the intuition die, though)

2) Attempt to pick lock 2
2.a) If you fail, your lock picking attempt is done but you do not lose your progress. The next time you or another gearlock attempts to pick this lock, they will start on lock 2.
2.b) If you succeed, move on to lock 3, though any dice used to unlock lock 1 or lock 2 cannot be used for lock 3 (you still roll the intuition die, though)

2) Attempt to pick lock 3
3.a) If you fail, your lock picking attempt is done but you do not lose your progress. The next time you or another gearlock attempts to pick this lock, they will start on lock 3.
3.b) If you succeed, you get the trove loot! Yay!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark D
United States
San Fernando Valley
California
flag msg tools
mb
Ok, you edited and got it perfect Tyler. Oh and just in case, if you got the +1 save to make the roll, you get to use that die in the next attempt for lock 2 and/or 3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I_Am_Legend
United States
Glen Burnie
Maryland
flag msg tools
MarkUCLA wrote:
Correct. And for others, don't forget, if you fail the 1st lockpicking attempt while recovering, you get a 2nd try automatically. Also any gearlocs playing with him get an attempt as well, if they're eligible.

Just to clarify I think you get to retry the 1st attempt even if it's not the recovery phase. I.e. An encounter card lockpicking test. On the gearloc reference sheet i don't think it says specifically the recovery phase. I think it just says whenever you make a lockpicking attempt.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Tymoshyshyn
England
Liskeard
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I have already opened 2 lock parts and later try to open the Force lock, do I have 1 roll or 3?

Edit:- I'm guessing 1.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Price
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
steftymo wrote:
If I have already opened 2 lock parts and later try to open the Force lock, do I have 1 roll or 3?

It depends. Is "later" a brand new attempt? If so, then you are starting a new attempt with all of the dice. If it's a continuation of a single lock-picking attempt, then did you get any of the +1 rolls on innovation? That lets you keep the die you used with that for the next attempt.

So.. it depends on the circumstances.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Welch
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you fail at the attempt do the other gearlocks get to have a go at it? That's the confusing part to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bård Holst
Norway
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
steftymo wrote:

I think you only have 1 in that circumstance.
I think the 2 attempts is only if you don't get to open the 1st lock. If you do get to open the 1st lock then you don't get a second attempt.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bård Holst
Norway
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Benncory wrote:
If you fail at the attempt do the other gearlocks get to have a go at it? That's the confusing part to me.

Each Gearloc or player has the opportunity to either try to open their own Trove loot or another Gearlocs Trove loot

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mickey
Singapore
flag msg tools
Twilight struggling to find time to play
badge
Twilight struggling to find time to play
mbmbmbmbmb
Nusferatu wrote:
steftymo wrote:

I think the 2 attempts is only if you don't get to open the 1st lock. If you do get to open the 1st lock then you don't get a second attempt.

that is not correct, the reference sheet mentions "if you fail to open the starting lock of an attempt, you are able to make a second attempt (once per day)"

Please note "starting lock of an attempt" not fist or starting lock only

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bård Holst
Norway
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Heishiro1976 wrote:
Nusferatu wrote:
steftymo wrote:

that is not correct, the reference sheet mentions "if you fail to open the starting lock of an attempt, you are able to make a second attempt (once per day)"

Please note "starting lock of an attempt" not fist or starting lock only

You are probably right, I missed the "attempt" phrase on the reference sheet. I have just always assumed it was the firt lock and not the first lock on any attempt.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Would you mind retitling your subject to be more descriptive? Maybe "number of dice rolled when attempting lock picking".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bård Holst
Norway
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kelann08 wrote:
Would you mind retitling your subject to be more descriptive? Maybe "number of dice rolled when attempting lock picking".

Done
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Beason
United States
Carrollton
US
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
maloy8920 wrote:
MarkUCLA wrote:

Just to clarify I think you get to retry the 1st attempt even if it's not the recovery phase. I.e. An encounter card lockpicking test. On the gearloc reference sheet i don't think it says specifically the recovery phase. I think it just says whenever you make a lockpicking attempt.

For the Care Package encounter, each player picks 1 type of lock. I played it where no player got a 2nd try. Each player rolled all 4 dice.

Because each player is rolling all 4 dice for 1 lock, it already seemed pretty easy.

But looking at the 2nd try text more closely, you could justify each player getting a 2nd try for this encounter.

This is a good example of how the encounter card needs to note how the normal rule applies or doesn't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Price
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
gbeason wrote:
This is a good example of how the encounter card needs to note how the normal rule applies or doesn't.

Here's the thing, a rule is either normal and it will be applied, a specifc override due to circumstances (new card/chip), or an exception. If neither an override nor an exception exist, then by definition you need to follow the normal rule.

Put another way, the lack of specific instructions means use the normal rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Ellis
United States
Troy
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I understand the part about getting a second try if you fail in your attempt at the first lock, but I'm not sure if you have to reroll ALL four dice. For example, let's say you need a Lever of 2 to get the first lock, but of your first four dice you get NO levers and a Save +1 on the intuition die. HOWEVER, you rolled a 3 on the Trip die and you'd like to keep that one and only re-roll the other 3 because your second lock is a Trip 6(!) Can you do that?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CycyX
France
Magny en Vexin
Val d'Oise
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say no: if you fail to pick the first lock, you get a full second attempt. If you could save die, it would not be a "new" attempt.

Plus, I'm not sure you can sace a die for later: you exhaust the die used to pick the current lock and re-roll the others...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Ellis
United States
Troy
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
cycyx wrote:
I would say no: if you fail to pick the first lock, you get a full second attempt. If you could save die, it would not be a "new" attempt.

Plus, I'm not sure you can sace a die for later: you exhaust the die used to pick the current lock and re-roll the others...

That makes sense and that's how I've been playing it so far. I never want to taint my victories with the nagging "but what if's". However, two gearlocs over two days and I still can't unlock that frustratingly difficult 6 "trip"! (Even with Nugget's Scrambler!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Carlson
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Joe is correct. We wanted to keep the rules as simple as possible as there is already enough complexity in this game. If an exception isn't listed, you should always assume the normal rule applies. Therefore, 2 attempts on an Encounter lock? For sure!

CycyX is also correct. A 2nd attempt is always a full (new) attempt at that lock starting with all 4 lockpicking dice.

For example, if its the end of day 4 and you are making a Lockpick Attempt on a Trove Loot where you've already unlocked the 1st lock the previous day, you still get 2 Attempts on your starting lock, which in this case, is the 2nd lock.

Also, yes, your fellow party can try to unlock your Trove Loot with their Attempts instead of their own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.