Shotgun Games
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure if I still need to do a Horror Check when they're around a corner, but technically within "range."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Johnsson
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You need to do a check since there is no concept of "line of sight" in the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shotgun Games
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe there is. For instance, you don't need to do a Horror Check when the monster is one space away but is on the other side of a door. No line of sight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Johnsson
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's only because range isn't counted through doors. It may seem so, but it has nothing to do with line of sight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Steinbach
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Range is 3 spaces away not through walls or doors. If you can count 3 spaces without crossing a wall or a door you are in range and you need to do a horror check.

Line of sight, as said, does not exist in this game. You can also shoot a monster 3 spaces away around a corner without any problems.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Sverre Lund
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ShotgunGames wrote:
I believe there is. For instance, you don't need to do a Horror Check when the monster is one space away but is on the other side of a door. No line of sight.

There is no "line of sight", it's just "within range". And on the other side of the door is NOT "within range".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shotgun Games
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gawain wrote:
ShotgunGames wrote:

There is no "line of sight", it's just "within range". And on the other side of the door is NOT "within range".

In that case, can a player shoot/cast a spell at an enemy that's around a corner?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Silver Robert
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ShotgunGames wrote:
Gawain wrote:
ShotgunGames wrote:

In that case, can a player shoot/cast a spell at an enemy that's around a corner?

If the spell has a ranged icon then yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Corners never factor into anything for that matter. Just ignore the concept entirely.

'Within range' is used for almost everything range-based in the game, so just learn the rules for that, which are as others have stated above. I.e., up to three spaces away, not counting through walls, doors nor secret passages.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shotgun Games
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alright thanks everyone. I'm fresh off several CMON games (Arcadia Quest, Masmorra, Zombicide, etc...) and all those games have line-of-sight, which is why I was confused that Mansions of Madness doesn't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Johnsson
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It can definitely feel counterintuitive at first. Happy gaming and don't go (too) insane in the mansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shoosh shoo
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing about the MoM series is that they kept line of sight out of the game for simplicity sake. I like this idea, but at the same time horror checks i find are a little annoying to keep doing

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Coker
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
This is my tank for Combat Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
In MoM, monsters around corners are making horrific slavering noises, so horror checks still must be done.

Of course, it would be rude to listen at a door, so no horror checks if a monster is on the other side of one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gutripper
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This rule and LoS intuition was discussed a bit on this thread

https://boardgamegeek.com/article/25720260#25720260

The cold dread and noise of a monster approaching you around a corner can still make sense (while all doors always auto-shut and are very well soundproofed ...)

Being able to shoot around corners and making other types of boomerang shots (see last example in that thread), I have personally decided to houserule away with a simple LoS mechanism similar to in Imperial Assault.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
East Windsor
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Range is always 3 spaces. Due to the tile layout, there are almost no situations where the space your investigator occupies and the monsters space wouldn't have line of sight. This just keeps the rules fast and usually logically.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Zee
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gutripper wrote:
This rule and LoS intuition was discussed a bit on this thread

https://boardgamegeek.com/article/25720260#25720260

The cold dread and noise of a monster approaching you around a corner can still make sense (while all doors always auto-shut and are very well soundproofed ...)

Being able to shoot around corners and making other types of boomerang shots (see last example in that thread), I have personally decided to houserule away with a simple LoS mechanism similar to in Imperial Assault.

If you house rule that LoS is from any corner of the space to any corner of the target space, you will find that (in most circumstances)LoS won't matter. I use this house rule for the few tiles in the very few cases where it does (e.g. Covered Bridge) but that's just my personal preference - it's no big issue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
May Blake
United States
California
flag msg tools
Responses via game developers;

Line of sight rules don’t exist in Mansions of Madness Second Edition. A horror check is performed if an investigator is “within range” of a monster, so yes, you need to do a horror check if a monster is within range but visually around a corner. Line of sight would not be considered, because there are no line of sight rules.

Thanks for playing,
Kara Centell-Dunk
Game Developer
Fantasy Flight Games

Follow up question - Are they still "within range" through a door or wall?

No, “range cannot be counted through walls or doors unless an effect specifically allows it.” (Rules Reference, page 15, “Range”) Since horror checks do not specifically allow it, range would not be counted through either walls or doors.

Thanks for playing,
Kara Centell-Dunk
Game Developer
Fantasy Flight Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.