Popular Tags: [View All]
james swannick
Canada
Laval
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
Hey everyone!

i have a problem thats bugging me with my game The Spectre Inspectors...

regarding one of the features ... Heres a quick rundown of the game before...players play as spectre inspectors, a secret society dedicate to the paranormal and spiritualism, there objective is to save the hotel from closing down due to being too haunted...

the problem is the dial... im finding it clunky and cluttering and i'm forecasting that it would costly to make as it would be a "custom designed" dial. Heres a little breakdown of how it's used:

A = guest is added to the board in the "do not disturb" state, this means everything is fine...

B = during the night a spectre appears in the guests room and the guest is being terrified.

C = once daylight springs the hotel manager moves them to another room to try and calm them down, but are in a ready to exit status, as soon as the guest is terrified again they leave the hotel...

So im wondering is there an easier less clunky way of achieving the same kind of guest status with out the dial. I have already tried cubes and tokens both presented problems.

Im all ears!!

Thanks for your patience and time and advice!!!

XOXO

James

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Strait
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
It's not clear what the dial is doing that a random token wouldn't do: guest is added without tokens, guest gets spooked and a token is placed on the card, if the guest isn't moved or if a second token is placed on the card then the guest leaves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Cook
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
*beep*
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd just use a 6 sided die with a 1-3 showing the current state of the guest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I see a guest in "calm" or "terrified" state.
I see the presence/absence of a ghost in a room.
I see a day/night cycle.

What purpose does state "B" serve that could not be served with
'ghost' token (present)
'night' token (it's dark)
'guest' token @calm being flipped to 'terrified'

If 'ghost' enters 'night' room with 'terrified' guest, guest runs away from the hotel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
james swannick
Canada
Laval
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
ErsatzDragon wrote:
It's not clear what the dial is doing that a random token wouldn't do: guest is added without tokens, guest gets spooked and a token is placed on the card, if the guest isn't moved or if a second token is placed on the card then the guest leaves.

Thanks for the input!

at the start of the game there are 14 guest dials on the board before the spectres come out during the nightfall phase.

nightfall, 2 spectres more than there are players show up, if a guest gets terrified the dial is turned to the terrified face.

now players try to expel the spectres.

daytime - the manager moves any terrified guests if possible to another room, set the dial to ready to exit.. so if this guest gets terrified the next nightfall they will leave immediately terrified.

if an inspector would be successful to expel the spectre then cleanse the room... the guest immediately goes back to the do not disturb state, as they are calm.

during that same nightfall more spectres will show up and guests in various states of normal, terrified or exiting.

i dont know if this clears things up or did i just repeat myself... but more long winded...

hope it helps you to help me...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
james swannick
Canada
Laval
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
Donkler wrote:
I'd just use a 6 sided die with a 1-3 showing the current state of the guest.

hey thanks for the input

funnily enough not tried that. maybe the k.i.s.s method should be approached...

my only gripe with the dice for this purpose is that its kinda boring looking, and unthematic for a highly thematic game.

but i can give a try with the next round of playtests.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
brainsofdynamite wrote:
ErsatzDragon wrote:

Thanks for the input!

at the start of the game there are 14 guest dials on the board before the spectres come out during the nightfall phase.

nightfall, 2 spectres more than there are players show up, if a guest gets terrified the dial is turned to the terrified face.

now players try to expel the spectres.

daytime - the manager moves any terrified guests if possible to another room, set the dial to ready to exit.. so if this guest gets terrified the next nightfall they will leave immediately terrified.

if an inspector would be successful to expel the spectre then cleanse the room... the guest immediately goes back to the do not disturb state, as they are calm.

during that same nightfall more spectres will show up and guests in various states of normal, terrified or exiting.

i dont know if this clears things up or did i just repeat myself... but more long winded...

hope it helps you to help me...

What qualitative difference is there between 'terrified' and 'ready to exit'?

It seems that all terrified guests are 'ready to exit' if they are terrified a second time -- and would do so immediately.

Do you possibly only have two guest 'states' here?

( BEGIN ) --+ +-- Sleeps okay --+
| | |
V | |
+----------+ |
| Calm |<-------------+
| |------------------ No Sleep (Ghost!) ---+
+----------+ |
A V
| +--------------+
+-------- Ghost expelled --------------| Terrified |
| |
+--------------+
|
No sleep
(Ghost!!!)
|
V
( EXIT )

The only thing I'm not understanding is if 'moving a guest to a new room' is important in some way that I'm missing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Albright
Canada
flag msg tools
Here's a simple solution for your consideration. You could use a tile or sheet (or part of a game board) and have a token space for each of the 14 guests or however many rooms there are, and either use three separate areas or (more likely) 3 separate token types to indicate the guests' current state.

You might like to use a hotel room key board (see attached image) to match your game's theme.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
james swannick
Canada
Laval
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
thanks man... your diagram is great!! and input is well received!

seems like i'm way over complicating the game play trying to make the game feel too realistic!!!
-
The only thing I'm not understanding is if 'moving a guest to a new room' is important in some way that I'm missing.

= Because its good customer service!

-

What qualitative difference is there between 'terrified' and 'ready to exit'?

= I have no answer.

---

that being said time to simplify i think

thanks for the help...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
james swannick
Canada
Laval
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
albright127 wrote:
Here's a simple solution for your consideration. You could use a tile or sheet (or part of a game board) and have a token space for each of the 14 guests or however many rooms there are, and either use three separate areas or (more likely) 3 separate token types to indicate the guests' current state.

You might like to use a hotel room key board (see attached image) to match your game's theme.

this looks cool... thanks for the idea, ill have a tinker with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Lennert
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like you could probably reduce guests from 3 possible states down to 2 if you write your sequence of play carefully.

If you can get them down to 2 states, then you just need a 2-sided counter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Strait
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
Antistone wrote:
Sounds like you could probably reduce guests from 3 possible states down to 2 if you write your sequence of play carefully.

If you can get them down to 2 states, then you just need a 2-sided counter.

"No Counter", "Counter Side A", and "Counter Side B" are three states, so there might be only minimal changes necessary to work with this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Breckenridge
United States
Richmond
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could do it with meeples - lying flat means sleeping happily, standing up means ready to run at a moment's notice, standing on its head means confused by a ghost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.