Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Solo Monoploy + Magic the Gathering + Civ Board Game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mars Straub
United States
Montana
flag msg tools
I realize this would be very unlikely, but I just had to ask since people here seem to be more knowledgeable on the games more than I do. Next Friday, I might plan on buying a board game at my local gaming shop or perhaps even order online, but I can't decide which one I want because I don't know one which one is good. I've only played Risk and Lord of the Rings Risk. I don't have friends and don't need to worry about that, so immersing myself into solo gaming keeps me occupied happily.

The best board/card game I've ever played was on the Playstation 2 called Culdcept, I used to play with my best friend a LOT before he died. There's a new version coming out for 3DS called Culdcept Revolt. There's another good one called Game of Dice, it's a free game app that's very similar. But I want a physical version.

Basically, Culdcept is a combination of board game, card game, RPG, Tactic Combat, and dice rolling. It's a mash-up of everything in one. Is there a board game like that or close like it?

I saw Terra Mystica and it looks so GOOD, but it doesn't seem to have combat so far as I know. The same goes for Catan, I think.

My best friend recommended me to get a dungeon-crawling game called Descent and/or Pathfinder Adventure Card Game. Many forums suggested Mage Knight and Gloomhaven.

Basically, I'm looking for something that has a depth of strategy with complexity that provides high replayability, preferring fantasy or sci-fi genres with a mix of gaming methods (dice, cards, board, etc.)

Somebody, give me a health potion before I pass out. I'm dying of finding a good game! Haha
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
United States
Schenectady
NY
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Mage Knight Board Game
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
Melting souls with cuteness since 2007
badge
Lovin' N-16
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Culcept has never been done in boardgames before. Nothing really comes close.

Maybe the Lord of the rings lcg or Arkham horror lcg.

You'll get a solo game which allows you to customize your deck prior to each game. With Arkham horror, you get prpgression from game to game.
Or similarly, the pathfinder adventure card game series work also well solo.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Galvan
Dominican Republic
Santo Domingo
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I guess you are looking for the HOLY GRAIL of solo fantasy or sci fi gaming

I personally haven't played any dungeon crawler or board game solo so I can't make any recommendations.

HOWEVER your friend, as well as your research, has found the best fit for you based on the "general consensus"(in my opinion)

So far the HOT solo games at the moment are:
Gloomhaven
Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)
Mage Knight Board Game
Scythe
Zombicide: Black Plague
Space Empires: 4X
Star Trek: Frontiers (¿?)

Many coop games can also be played solo like:
Dungeons & Dragons: The Legend of Drizzt Board Game
Shadowrun: Crossfire (cyberpunk with magic)
Many cthulhu games like Elder Sign and Eldritch Horror
and if you have the (many) coins to spare there is also Kingdom Death: Monster, kind of depressive theme though

If nothing is peeking your interest you can also go to the 1 Player guild.

I hope this was helpful :S. Many young adventurers like you have embark on quest to find the legendary solo board game for quite a while, but I have hope you will find it... eventually
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C B
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
flying
badge
dutchman
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Talisman is honestly as close to Culdcept as you're going to get. The problem is it isn't really soloable unless you give yourself a turn limit or something.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Shaw
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ampoliros wrote:
Talisman is honestly as close to Culdcept as you're going to get. The problem is it isn't really soloable unless you give yourself a turn limit or something.


And in a similar vein, Runebound (Second Edition)

Make sure it is 2nd edition, NOT the 3rd edition which is currently out. 3rd edition really isn't anything close to what you describe, but 2nd edition is similar.

It has the similar problem as Talisman as it's going to require a turn limit or other something, luckily, there is a variant that does just that.

Talisman (as mentioned above) has more of the Monopoly roll and move idea, where as Runebound has kind of the simple story idea behind it with a lot of cards that you can collect and use.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mars Straub
United States
Montana
flag msg tools
DanoG wrote:
I guess you are looking for the HOLY GRAIL of solo fantasy or sci fi gaming

I personally haven't played any dungeon crawler or board game solo so I can't make any recommendations.

HOWEVER your friend, as well as your research, has found the best fit for you based on the "general consensus"(in my opinion)

So far the HOT solo games at the moment are:
Gloomhaven
Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)
Mage Knight Board Game
Scythe
Zombicide: Black Plague
Space Empires: 4X
Star Trek: Frontiers (¿?)

Many coop games can also be played solo like:
Dungeons & Dragons: The Legend of Drizzt Board Game
Shadowrun: Crossfire (cyberpunk with magic)
Many cthulhu games like Elder Sign and Eldritch Horror
and if you have the (many) coins to spare there is also Kingdom Death: Monster, kind of depressive theme though

If nothing is peeking your interest you can also go to the 1 Player guild.

I hope this was helpful :S. Many young adventurers like you have embark on quest to find the legendary solo board game for quite a while, but I have hope you will find it... eventually


Haha, yeah it's been a long, hard search for the holy grail of gaming!

Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition) is only soloable using the companion app, right? My best friend kept recommending me that game and I'm always looking further to greener pastures. But the rest of the list does sound good.

Culdcept has spoiled me. Had I not played that game, I would have settled for simpler games!

Much appreciated for the recommendations, guys. Thanks!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quantum Jack
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
culdcept is a very specific type of game. but if you're dismissing most suggestions as "simpler games" that you aren't willing to settle for, i will suggest:

Mage Knight Board Game

If you look at that, and think "Well, its neat, but way too simple and straightforward." i will point you toward:

Magic Realm

if you think thats simple, there is no hope for you. takes most who do learn to play it MONTHS to figure it out. thats just getting it well enough to move around and kinda know what you're doing. Years to get GOOD at the game.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're not averse to deckbuilders and want something that plays under an hour there's Aeon's End, which is interesting and leaves a lot to the player. It can be easy but also extremely hard And is great.

If you want toys and don't mind assembling them and dumping a whole salary there's Kingdom Death: Monster. It will keep you busy for years.

Otherwise there's Gloomhaven

Sad thing is you missed the reprint campaign for these three games.

Aeon's End is the most easy to find.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Galvan
Dominican Republic
Santo Domingo
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
MarsStraub wrote:
DanoG wrote:
I guess you are looking for the HOLY GRAIL of solo fantasy or sci fi gaming

I personally haven't played any dungeon crawler or board game solo so I can't make any recommendations.

HOWEVER your friend, as well as your research, has found the best fit for you based on the "general consensus"(in my opinion)

So far the HOT solo games at the moment are:
Gloomhaven
Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)
Mage Knight Board Game
Scythe
Zombicide: Black Plague
Space Empires: 4X
Star Trek: Frontiers (¿?)

Many coop games can also be played solo like:
Dungeons & Dragons: The Legend of Drizzt Board Game
Shadowrun: Crossfire (cyberpunk with magic)
Many cthulhu games like Elder Sign and Eldritch Horror
and if you have the (many) coins to spare there is also Kingdom Death: Monster, kind of depressive theme though

If nothing is peeking your interest you can also go to the 1 Player guild.

I hope this was helpful :S. Many young adventurers like you have embark on quest to find the legendary solo board game for quite a while, but I have hope you will find it... eventually


Haha, yeah it's been a long, hard search for the holy grail of gaming!

Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition) is only soloable using the companion app, right? My best friend kept recommending me that game and I'm always looking further to greener pastures. But the rest of the list does sound good.

Culdcept has spoiled me. Had I not played that game, I would have settled for simpler games!

Much appreciated for the recommendations, guys. Thanks!


From what I read in the Official website (for the app) it looks like you need to download the app to play solo or coop :s
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Unger
msg tools
mbmbmb
I don't have any better suggestions than what has already been mentioned. I have been in the same boat and been unable to find a tangable fantasy/monopoly/deck building/strategy game. Just wanted to add that I love Culdcept and can't wait for Aug for Revolt to be released to the states!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.