Hide
20 Posts

Star Wars: Rebellion» Forums » Rules

Subject: Contingency Plan question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
francisco alliende
msg tools
Hi everyone! I have a doubt about the rebel mission card "Contingency Plan".

It says "Assign this leader to a starting mission from your hand, even one that was already attempted or resolved this round"

I'm not sure I get it. Does it mean that I can just repeat any of my mission cards? Because if not, then why would I assign a leader to a "resolved" mission?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Take it at face value. You can assign the leader(s) to a starting mission from your hand. Not any mission, just one of the four starter missions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
francisco alliende
msg tools
that makes more sense, thanks Craig. Next time I'll be double-sabotaging then
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
PanchoMan28 wrote:
that makes more sense, thanks Craig. Next time I'll be double-sabotaging then

Yeah, double sabotaging right before a build is a great use for that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregarious
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Rapid mobilization X2
Establish a new base and move your units with you in the same turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Greg443 wrote:
Rapid mobilization X2

Nope...not the units in the old base system, because there will be a leader there locking them down. Whenever units are moved, all movement rules must be obeyed except for those specifically lifted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
csouth154 wrote:
Greg443 wrote:
Rapid mobilization X2

Nope...not the units in the old base system, because there will be a leader there locking them down. Whenever units are moved, all movement rules must be obeyed except for those specifically lifted.

So the only reason to use CP to resolve RM twice in one turn would be to move units to a hidden base twice...or move units to a hidden base before moving it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
csouth154 wrote:
csouth154 wrote:
Greg443 wrote:
Rapid mobilization X2

So the only reason to use CP to resolve RM twice in one turn would be to move units to a hidden base twice...or move units to a hidden base before moving it.

Or to move the base and then move DIFFERENT units to the new rebel base.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Patterson
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sigmazero13 wrote:
csouth154 wrote:
csouth154 wrote:
Greg443 wrote:
Rapid mobilization X2

Is that allowed? I thought the moving of the base was the last thing to happen in the phase, after all missions have been attempted/systems activated/both players passing. Since RM is not "resolved" until everything else has happened, I don't see how you can use it twice with CP.

Another use, though, would be Build Alliances twice in one turn, which could be very helpful in completing objectives that require lots of Rebel loyalty.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
sigmazero13 wrote:
csouth154 wrote:
csouth154 wrote:
Greg443 wrote:
Rapid mobilization X2

Right....lol. derp...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cheng
Taiwan
Taipei City
n/a
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Pattersonclan wrote:
sigmazero13 wrote:
csouth154 wrote:
csouth154 wrote:
Greg443 wrote:
Rapid mobilization X2

Is that allowed? I thought the moving of the base was the last thing to happen in the phase, after all missions have been attempted/systems activated/both players passing. Since RM is not "resolved" until everything else has happened, I don't see how you can use it twice with CP.

Another use, though, would be Build Alliances twice in one turn, which could be very helpful in completing objectives that require lots of Rebel loyalty.

While RM will resolve at the end of the activation phase, it does goes back to your hand when you reveal it, so you can Contingency Plan it again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Witold G
Poland
Bytom
flag msg tools
sigmazero13 wrote:
csouth154 wrote:
csouth154 wrote:
Greg443 wrote:
Rapid mobilization X2

Or to move the base and then move DIFFERENT units to a DIFFERENT system as a bluff.

Of course, you need to know first which systems you can bluff about - thanks to use of RM in an earlier game round.

EDITED TO ADD:

That's incorrect, of course, see below.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Perf wrote:
Or to move the base and then move DIFFERENT units to a DIFFERENT system as a bluff.

Uh, nice try, but no...

Rapid Mobilization's movement option moves units to the Rebel Base space, not a system. You can't bluff with it as you never need to indicate where on the map those units are moving to.

I think the only real example that got missed is the option to have two attempts to move the base, if you have reason to be believe the first attempt won't work so well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Witold G
Poland
Bytom
flag msg tools
Clipper wrote:
Perf wrote:

Uh, nice try, but no...

Rapid Mobilization's movement option moves units to the Rebel Base space, not a system. You can't bluff with it as you never need to indicate where on the map those units are moving to.

You're right, of course.

I confused it with Hidden Fleet + Rapid Mobilization bluff (this combo can be used in a straightforward way as well, of course).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Witold G
Poland
Bytom
flag msg tools
If we're talking about possible combinations of RM abilities (with two RM reveals), there are four, and I think all of them are viable in some situations - hopefully I don't mess anything up this time around...

1. Move up to 5 units from 1 system to the "Rebel Base" space twice. Can be used to reinforce the base with units from 2 different systems, or even a single system twice (because of 5 units limit). Might be useful towards the end of the game, when Rebels decide it makes more sense to turtle than to risk relocation - or maybe even probe deck is depleted completely. Can be countered by a forceful base reveal.
2. Move up to 5 units from 1 system to the "Rebel Base" space, then draw 4 or 8 probe cards. Probably most situational: reinforce then relocate the base - if you don't want to have your remaining units steamrolled. Or maybe even: reinforce and only then look at the possible systems and decide if it's worth relocating or if it's better to stay and fight...
3. Draw 4 or 8 probe cards, then move up to 5 units from 1 system to the "Rebel Base" space. The basic "relocate, then reinforce from a different system" was already mentioned, but can also be used in a similar way to the previous example, especially if the probe deck is almost depleted and you don't have more than 5 units in 1 system you can possibly move: look at all remaining systems, if there's nothing viable, then instead of relocating - reinforce, stay and fight.
4. Draw 4 or 8 probe cards twice. The first draw might be (instead of "let's see if there's anything useful there") simply a way to bump up the cards you already know in the probe deck, so you can grab them with the second draw.

I also assume that the order of RM reveals matters, i.e. "with 1 leader, then with 2 leaders" is different than "with 2 leaders, then with 1 leader" in the context of resolving the second ability (drawing 4 or 8 probe cards).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Perf wrote:
I also assume that the order of RM reveals matters, i.e. "with 1 leader, then with 2 leaders" is different than "with 2 leaders, then with 1 leader" in the context of resolving the second ability (drawing 4 or 8 probe cards).

You could argue these two effects are simultaneous, hence the player resolving the abilities would probably choose the order. The rules don't state that explicitly, though, so perhaps the order is intended to be maintained...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel van der pol
Netherlands
Leiden
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PanchoMan28 wrote:
Hi everyone! I have a doubt about the rebel mission card "Contingency Plan".

It says "Assign this leader to a starting mission from your hand, even one that was already attempted or resolved this round"

I'm not sure I get it. Does it mean that I can just repeat any of my mission cards? Because if not, then why would I assign a leader to a "resolved" mission?

Think of it like this: you can execute a single Starting Mission twice in one turn. Sabotage two systems in a single turn, do Rapid Mobilization twice (can be very interesting), Build Alliance twice (try countering that one, Empire!) etc.

Especially with Rapid Mobilization it can be very nice; you can basically both MOVE the base as well as move UNITS to the (newly established) base in a single turn, making sure the new base is not unguarded.

Note that moving units to the new Base cannot be done with the units from the old base location, as moving the base places a leader in the system where the old base used to be and Rapid Mobilization doesn't override the restriction that you can only move units that are NOT in a system with a friendly leader.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Minneman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Jackasses? You let a whole column get stalled and strafed on account of a couple of jackasses? What the hell's the matter with you?
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a lot of interesting uses of Contingency Plan in this thread, but I think one is being missed: It gives you flexibility that you don't otherwise have.

At the beginning of the turn, you may think that you may want to run Rapid Mobilization, but you aren't sure how it will work out during the turn. As the turn progresses, you see that RM is made obsolete because the Empire moves away from the Rebel base. If you're on Contingency Plan, you can instead just choose to Sabotage or Infiltrate.

This is an underrated part of CP. Sometimes, having the option is valuable in and of itself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel van der pol
Netherlands
Leiden
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
robbbbbb wrote:
There are a lot of interesting uses of Contingency Plan in this thread, but I think one is being missed: It gives you flexibility that you don't otherwise have.

At the beginning of the turn, you may think that you may want to run Rapid Mobilization, but you aren't sure how it will work out during the turn. As the turn progresses, you see that RM is made obsolete because the Empire moves away from the Rebel base. If you're on Contingency Plan, you can instead just choose to Sabotage or Infiltrate.

This is an underrated part of CP. Sometimes, having the option is valuable in and of itself.

True. You can put a Leader on Contingency Plan and if it turns out that Rapid Mobilization is not needed, you can execute something else OR choose not to resolve it so it goes back into your hand. However, if you maintain a Leader on Contingency Plan for several turns in a row, you are basically keeping a leader in reserve which could have done something more useful, so there is an opportunity cost to it.

Note that if you put a Leader on a mission using Contingency Plan and that mission is opposed, you count the Icons for the NEW mission, not for Contingency Plan (if I read it correctly, it is the NEW mission which gets opposed, not Contingency Plan). This does mean that if you use a Leader without any matching Icons, you roll zero dice and the Opposition automatically succeed (as there is no way to roll more than zero successes and you need at least one success). Rapid Mobilization is the best mission to use this for as RM cannot be opposed while all other starting Rebel missions can be opposed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
marcelvdpol wrote:
Note that if you put a Leader on a mission using Contingency Plan and that mission is opposed, you count the Icons for the NEW mission, not for Contingency Plan (if I read it correctly, it is the NEW mission which gets opposed, not Contingency Plan).

This is correct. When you do Contingency Plan itself, the mission is a "resolve" mission, which causes you to put the leader(s) on another mission. You would then later resolve that other mission as normal.

Quote:
This does mean that if you use a Leader without any matching Icons, you roll zero dice and the Opposition automatically succeed (as there is no way to roll more than zero successes and you need at least one success).

You wouldn't be allowed to even reveal the new mission if the leader didn't have any matching icons. Probably part of why Lando himself has all 4 icons, I'm guessing, so he can do ANY of the starting missions with it, plus gets two free successes to boot!

Remember, you don't immediately resolve the new mission; you just assign the leaders to the new mission. You would resolve the new mission sometime later in the round, following normal rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.