Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Soon Louis
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We are having a difficult time understanding hex control. We just started the Grand Campaign. Using the 1914 Opening Move 16.1 the CP captures Antwerp,Namur, and Liege. He also move a cavalry unit to G03. He only occupies these 4 hexes before the start of turn one.

Rule 1.5 reads:

Hex Control: A Power gains control of a hex by being its sole
occupant. Control is indicated by the placement of a Control
marker.

Just reading this it would seem that CP control markers would only be placed in these 4 hexes. However, rule 7.2 reads:

A block that moves into or through an enemy-controlled hex
immediately takes control of the hex if no enemy Fortress or
blocks are present. After all movement is complete, adjust
Control markers as needed.

This seems to indicate that any hexes the cavalry or the attackers of the three fortresses moved through in the 1914 Opening Move should be marked with CP control markers yet they are not occupied.

Please clarify. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Who knew trench warfare could be such fun?
badge
Ashwin in front of Tiger 131
mbmbmbmbmb

At the point of moving through they are the sole occupants so control changes. I guess the word occupant might imply staying in the hex but the second rule you quote clarifies the situation beyond any doubt. I don't have the rulebook to hand but I suspect there may be an example of play to illustrate as well.

As a separate point I would have been more comfortable, from a design perspective, if the control did rely on remaining in the hex rather than simply passing through.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Keckley
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Fields of Despair - GMT P500.
mbmbmbmbmb
SLouis39 wrote:

This seems to indicate that any hexes the cavalry or the attackers of the three fortresses moved through in the 1914 Opening Move should be marked with CP control markers yet they are not occupied.

Please clarify. Thanks.

A block that moves through an otherwise empty hex is the sole occupant if only for a moment. Control changes immediately. Check out the extended examples of play pg. 37-38 step 2 number 3. Control is taken of hex I04 during movement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Soon Louis
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the replies and I read the extended play example. Rule 1.5 reads as follows.

Hex Control: A Power gains control of a hex by being its sole
occupant. Control is indicated by the placement of a Control
marker.
During set-up, each player places Control markers in the hexes
along the border with the enemy Power and/or Belgium (if neutral).
The starting location of the markers will vary by scenario.
A Power is considered to control every hex from its map edge
(Allies: west; CP: east) to its Control markers unless the hex
contains an enemy Control marker (2.6.3). During play, Control
markers are only allowed in hexes that are contested or adjacent
to hexes with enemy Control markers.

Using the Grand Campaign set up as an example, some of the hexes that start with control markers are C01, C02, D02, and E03. None of these satisfy the condition stated in the last sentence. A strict interpretation of the last sentence would mean that as a unit moves taking control of a hex, a control marker could only be placed if it satisfies the conditions of the last sentence. However I am assuming that the placement of control markers at the start of a scenario are exceptions and that "During play" is meant to cover the placement of control markers when gameplay begins.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Keckley
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SLouis39 wrote:

Using the Grand Campaign set up as an example, some of the hexes that start with control markers are C01, C02, D02, and E03.

Ah, now I see. First the answer... The Allied control markers begin along the French-Belgian border. After the CP opening move, adjust them into Belgium adjacent to the CP control makers.

Now a little inside development... Until almost the very end, Belgium always began neutral (thus the control marker set-up). It was moved to and developed as an optional rule because having Belgium begin as a member of the Allies was simply easier for new players.

I'll add something to the next errata update.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Keckley
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
taedium vitae wrote:

Just to make sure: Rule 7.2 states that blocks moving into an empty hex immediately take control of the hex, indicating however that control markers are adjusted only after all movement is complete.

So which is it? Immediately upon entering the hex (ie. during movement) or at the end of all movement?

It makes a difference for blocks moving out of contested hex since previously enemy-controlled hexes would suddenly become eligible if you pass through those hexes with other blocks earlier in the movement phase.

You take immediately of every empty hex you move through but need not place control markers until movement is completed. You could place them as you go if that's easier. Often you would find that you are placing them only to remove them moments later as control markers are only needed along the front with the enemy.

During play your control markers will form a curvy line from the northern to southern edges of the map. You are considered to control every hex from that line to your map edge unless other wise marked with a control marker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.