Runewars Miniatures Game» Forums » General

Subject: Very quiet? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim P
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I picked up the Core Set at the weekend, having played an in-store demo the day the game was released.

It looks interesting, and I'm keen to play it a bit more.

But is anyone else surprised by how little buzz this game seems to have anywhere other than the FFG website? barely 100 ratings on here, fell off of the Hotness very quickly, and a lot of the comments I'm reading seem quite lukewarm.

Is this game doomed to fail to live up to the hype? or is there enough space in the market for this to take off?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've commented on this before.

I think that lots of people will not get into it until all four of the first factions are released because of how FFG has handled minis gams in the past. That alone might kill it, unless FFG sticks to their planned releases regardless of sales.

The other aspect is the seeming focus on getting new gamers into it vs convincing old gamers to get into it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jef stuyck
Belgium
flag msg tools
And this is a miniature game, not a boardgame. So don't expect much movement here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Banemus wrote:
And this is a miniature game, not a boardgame. So don't expect much movement here.

There is more movement here than on any mini gaming sites....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Santi Velasco
Spain
Mairena del Aljarafe
Seville
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
On a (not so) unrelated note, Battlelore fans would have killed to get a tenth of the hype-machine FFG is unleashing on this game.

But hey FFG, no hurt feelings, not that I am bitter or anything

Spoiler (click to reveal)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jef stuyck
Belgium
flag msg tools
DegenerateElite wrote:
Banemus wrote:

I guess it is on us then to start some movement
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DegenerateElite wrote:
Banemus wrote:

I wonder if this is part of the problem - too board-game-y for the Miniature Wargamers, too miniature wargame-y for the Board Gamers.

out of interest, do games like X-Wing/Attack Wing etc tend to make an impact on the miniatures boards? or is it more focused on what happens here?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DegenerateElite wrote:

I think that lots of people will not get into it until all four of the first factions are released because of how FFG has handled minis gams in the past.

What's the 4th faction? has this been confirmed in relation to this game? or just assumed based on other Terrinoth games?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vayda
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
https://sites.google.com/site/cnjxwing/home
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mightyjim wrote:
DegenerateElite wrote:

I think that lots of people will not get into it until all four of the first factions are released because of how FFG has handled minis gams in the past.

What's the 4th faction? has this been confirmed in relation to this game? or just assumed based on other Terrinoth games?

Assumed as of now. I personally haven't seen anything official yet.

But Rune Wars the board game had the Uthuk (kind of a demon race). And in the Rune Wars Mini's lore book it does introduce the Uthuk fluff.

So it's a fairly safe bet to think we will see at least the same four factions again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xelto G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
virferrorum wrote:
Mightyjim wrote:

I recall seeing a poster for the game with the Uthuk on it.

As for the lack of activity here, so far only the base game is out. In a relative sense, there's not a lot to talk about yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Boersma
Australia
Clyde North
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wonder if its a combination of:

* People wondering if they will see the game through (after many others not being continued - most recently Battlelore).

* The Terrinoth universe just not being very exciting. Look at the performance of other non-Descent entries into the Terrinoth world, they just don't have a huge following compared to other games. Too generic? I mean, look at the other C&C games for example, they are all doing exceptionally well, they put the Terrinoth universe onto it and boom, it doesn't sell well (I'm sure it had a lot to do with the way it was handled and released, but yeah).

* The fact that X-Wing is faster, less work to get played and already has an established base meaning that many will not port over.

* No real choice with which faction to use and no real army building choice within each faction yet either. I know there are people waiting for more to be available before jumping in, but then wondering if FFG will support the game long enough for there to be that variety.

Cheers,
Ben.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well the Game of Thrones C&C sort of bombed.

And the WWI version.

And the Samurai version.

Pretty much just the GMT ones seem popular.

As far as army building, the variety will never be in types of troops. You can expect there to not ever bee more than a half dozen troop types, not counting heroes.

The variety will be in the card upgrades that change how each unit plays and allows them to break certain game rules.

But yeah, I stick to the claim that FFG should have had a core army box for all four armies right at launch with the counters, templates, rules, and dice inside. Basically a one player kit. Then they could release the other expansions slowly with one for each faction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
srcabeza wrote:
On a (not so) unrelated note, Battlelore fans would have killed to get a tenth of the hype-machine FFG is unleashing on this game.

But hey FFG, no hurt feelings, not that I am bitter or anything

Spoiler (click to reveal)

And that's the sad part, since BattleLore (Second Edition) is a great game.

Maybe better to give it to Cool Mini Or Not....now they can do hype...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett
United States
Laredo
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
virferrorum wrote:
Mightyjim wrote:
DegenerateElite wrote:

But Rune Wars the board game had the Uthuk (kind of a demon race). And in the Rune Wars Mini's lore book it does introduce the Uthuk fluff.

So it's a fairly safe bet to think we will see at least the same four factions again.

It's more than an assumption. At Adepticon Gama, FFG said that two new factions would be out by the end of the year. The image showed more or less blank boxes, but you could see the silhouette of an elf archer behind one box, and the Uthuk hero Ravos behind the other. I don't have the link at the moment, but you should be able to find it on the FFG forums.

[EDIT: Link to FFG thread discussing the news: https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/244830-more-c...]

To answer the OP, I am a bit exasperated at the constant negativity on BGG for Runewars, which is why I like the FFG forums much better, so I don't post a lot of new stuff here. The FFG forums have had a few dissenting opinions about aspects of the game, but those opinions don't show up in EVERY SINGLE THREAD.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Soylent Green
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Stop hovering over me!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a hunch that a large part of the quietness also relates to the lack of content/units... even for the 2 released armies.

I am playing undead and a buddy is Daqan - we ended up splitting 2 cores to get a good start on our armies... but for now, we will skirmish a bit and try a few things out - but we don't really have the full game yet.

It's as though we got the teaser intro to the game - which we have time to get painted before the rest come - but the full game is still in the works as the additional units we really want to get into our armies are still on the boat!

I'm very stoked about the game and am bugged a bit by the silence as well... ultimately it boils down to us needing more units. There are too few options in the core box really... I'm excited for the expansions but I wish they would have been here quicker. I think the excitement would have been higher and lasted longer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim M-L
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
At least part of it is that you need three copies of the base game to play a full game right now. I've been playing, but really looking forward to the first set of expansions to do much beyond learning the basics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
It's funny (funny sad, not funny ha-ha) that in 2017 on BGG the more important question isn't whether a game is good or not, it's "Why isn't there more hype?"

Where's the hype?
Should there be more hype?
Maybe I should start the hype?
Or would you like to start the hype?
Should we all hype at once, you know, to get the hype ball rolling?
Is the hype porridge too cold? Should we warm it up? What if the hype porridge gets too hot? Who should blow on it?

FACT: "Hype" is something publishers use to separate you from your cash. Stop falling for it. It means nothing in terms of whether a game is fun to you or not. It is not and has never been the consumer's job to do a publisher's job for them. Let the game succeed or fail based on the game's own merits. Stop making decisions on what you play based on how many Facebook posts a publisher makes attempting to get you to buy a game.

Stop getting caught up in "the hotness" and measuring "hype" when you should be measuring "fun."
If I never hear the word "hype" again it will be too soon.

*** we now return you to your regularly scheduled BGG hype discussion, already in progress... ***
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie Harr
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmb
My first thoughts on it after playing a few games with 1 core set: Its mediocre at best. Meaning there are far better games to take up my time. Hopefully this will change with more releases. Of course, I believe they should not have released the core set until they at least had the rest of wave 1 ready as well. But thats just me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know that this is a game my wife will not play. It's not her style. Trying to convince her to do so would be a waste of both our times (and wasting our time is the baby's job...)

I've played 1 demo of this, and liked it, but I need to be realistic -
This could be the best game in the world, but if a good scene doesn't grow up locally, it will never get played, because I won't have any opponents

I've been stung in the past when I've bought into a game heavily only for the player-base to evaporate.

Right now I have the core box, and I like what this game is offering mechanically, but I'm not going to buy expansions until I feel confident that I'll be able to find people to play against.

Hype does not make a game good, but it does make a difference to how many people try it. A good game that nobody tries is a game that will fail. That's why the level of attention this game is gathering outside of the FFG website bubble is a concern for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
Banemus wrote:

Yeah. Ffg minis games are dead here...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well the FFG forums are rather stagnant as well. The big numbers are post counts, and each sub forum only has a page or two of stuff, mostly questions on whether to get into it or what's what. Lots of speculation by people that I don't think have played much, if at all.

You can go there once a week and read everything new...and usually the opinions of the same half dozen people with every new thread.

The rules subforum is interesting, but does indicate this game will have a rules lawyer issue forever.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dusty 27
Canada
Grande Prairie
flag msg tools
mb
Me I just got my preorder copy in the mail Monday. Been building getting ready to paint. I loved everything so far. It looks awesome. I like th dials and the minis. I really like that you don't need a butt load of upgrade cards for every single unit.

I got no complaints. More people will to play against will come in time (It is going to take awhile to paint any ways). I highly doubt this is going to flake out. It's early days guys and its a bit more of a hobby experience then x wing where everything is prepaint and you can print off a list cards or no for casual learning games.

that's my .02

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Stampley
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We have a small group in Austin playing but several more of us are on the sidelines waiting for additional factions and armies. My only concern is that FFG takes too long to release new factions or units and people get tired of waiting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobb Beauchamp
United States
Volo
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First 4 expansions due in 15 days. We'll see then how people feel about the cost value of the game. $50 gets you 4 trays of infantry, 2 special, 1 monster and 1 hero from the core, for a total of 8 trays plus all the counters etc.

$50 in expansions gets you 4 trays and about 5 upgrade cards. That's a big jump up in terms of cost.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Boersma
Australia
Clyde North
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DegenerateElite wrote:
Well the Game of Thrones C&C sort of bombed.

And the WWI version.

And the Samurai version.

Pretty much just the GMT ones seem popular.

Not sure where your info is on that.

BoW was quite popular, but releases were far apart and support was not given to the game. People still play it though. But again FFG stuffed its support.

WW1 version is excellent and has done very well on Kickstarter, with a French expansion on the horizon.

Samurai version ended because the gentleman that commissioned the game passed away. It has been picked up by GMT.

Battlelore 1st edition was extremely popular until the Troll map and it changed hands to FFG who mismanaged it.

Battlelore 2nd edition was enjoyed by new fans and then a combination of slow releases and lack of support from FFG killed it. Why buy in when it doesn't look like the company will support it long term. Hence why all the trepidation with Runewars.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.